Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Sumitomo Geo Drive Tires?? I am in the process of purchasing a 2011 Sequoia and the dealer agreed to put new tires on it as part of the deal. He asked me if I liked Michelin Tires and he’d call me the next day with options...Later the next day he texted me informing me that he picked out some nice GEO Drive tires. I spoke to him today and told him I’d never heard of them and he responded that they are manufactured by Sumitomo who manufactured the GEO Tour for Volkswagens 😳. I can’t find these GEO Tours or Drives anywhere on the internet. Has anyone ever heard of them??

· Registered
2001 Camry LE
1,294 Posts
Yeah, I'd request the dealer put on Michelins, since he suggested it first. They're one of the better tires you can get.

· Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of Sumitomo Geo Drive Tires?? I am in the process of purchasing a 2011 Sequoia and the dealer agreed to put new tires on it as part of the deal. He asked me if I liked Michelin Tires and he’d call me the next day with options...Later the next day he texted me informing me that he picked out some nice GEO Drive tires. I spoke to him today and told him I’d never heard of them and he responded that they are manufactured by Sumitomo who manufactured the GEO Tour for Volkswagens 😳. I can’t find these GEO Tours or Drives anywhere on the internet. Has anyone ever heard of them??
RUN.. RUN FORREST ( wallet )
RUN

· Registered
1 Posts

I had a VERY SIMILAR experience that I am now dealing with a few months later. I bought a certified pre owned 2016 Tundra from Gateway Toyota in Toms River NJ. Most of the used trucks on the lot had a Sumitomo GeoTour tire. The Tundra TRD off road should come with Michelins. I asked about the tires and they flatly refused to change them exclaiming the tires were "brand new!" I figured it wasn't worth the hassle as car dealers are just awful. It turns out the GeoTour, similar to the GeoDrive, looks like some version of a tire that was never sold retail in the US. The tire that you can still get, the Sumitomo encounter h/t, is similar but not identical to my GeoTour. So 3 months and one flat tire later and now I have a tire that cant be replaced. The dealer saved about 200 dollars retail by not replacing my tires with stock and now I have to spend about 1000 to get tires that match. The verbiage in Toyotas CPO program states that the tires must match the originals so I will be escalating this. Thanks Toyota!

· Registered
1 Posts
I had a VERY SIMILAR experience that I am now dealing with a few months later. I bought a certified pre owned 2016 Tundra from Gateway Toyota in Toms River NJ. Most of the used trucks on the lot had a Sumitomo GeoTour tire. The Tundra TRD off road should come with Michelins. I asked about the tires and they flatly refused to change them exclaiming the tires were "brand new!" I figured it wasn't worth the hassle as car dealers are just awful. It turns out the GeoTour, similar to the GeoDrive, looks like some version of a tire that was never sold retail in the US. The tire that you can still get, the Sumitomo encounter h/t, is similar but not identical to my GeoTour. So 3 months and one flat tire later and now I have a tire that cant be replaced. The dealer saved about 200 dollars retail by not replacing my tires with stock and now I have to spend about 1000 to get tires that match. The verbiage in Toyotas CPO program states that the tires must match the originals so I will be escalating this. Thanks Toyota!
UGH, just bought a certified Highlander and got these same tires installed. Not thrilled after reading through this thread.

· Registered
1 Posts
I had a VERY SIMILAR experience that I am now dealing with a few months later. I bought a certified pre owned 2016 Tundra from Gateway Toyota in Toms River NJ.

The verbiage in Toyotas CPO program states that the tires must match the originals so I will be escalating this. Thanks Toyota!
I'd love to see where the CPO Program specifies OEM tires when the car is purchased. I just got burned on a Tundra. Do you have a link?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.