Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone:

Has anyone noticed that their weather seal on their sun/moonroof is too tight. It's the first time I've actually tried to open my moonroof the other day and heard a loud thud. I thought it was because I was driving but then I tried it again when I was stopped, and it happened again. I checked the seals and saw that it was too tight and would rub against the roof before the glass panel came down and in. Just wondering if anyone else had this problem? And if so, have you found a solution? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Not a problem with mine

·
Registered
08 Highlander LMT
76 Posts
Never had a problem with mine. Works great!

·
Registered
09 Highlander
2 Posts
Moonroof problems

I have had problems with my moonroof as well. Our would produce a ticking noise whenever we would drive the car more than 10 mph. The dealer tightened some screws and put in some foam to reduce the ticking. I had a RAV 4 with a similar moonroof before this car and never had a problem with it. Maybe there is some kind of problem with the moonroofs that they put in the 09 Highlanders.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have not had this problem on my 09 HH as it is nice here and the moon roof has been opened regularily since I bought it.

I had a GMC SUV that would produce this thud on the first open of the moon roof for the season. Seems like the weather stripping would stick. It would only do it the first time. I think some good lube intended for weatherstripping conditioning would cure it. I won't recommend one as I once had some weather stripping 'eaten' up by what I thought was harmless lube!

·
Registered
684 Posts
My 09 HL Sport is only a week old, but have used the sunroof at about 3 times with no issues whatsoever. Geez, I'm really loving this vehicle! :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have same issue, most noticeably when cold. Strains to open and then makes a loud thudding noise.

Havent addressed it with dealer as I have not had time to check to see if there is interference from the installation of wind deflector. My guess is it needs an adjustment to keep it from closing so tight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rykohl:

that's exactly what I think it is. It's gotten warmer out here in Las Vegas and when the HL is in the sun, and I attempt to open the moonroof, it's perfectly fine. I'm going in for a 30K tune up in a couple of months. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
2011 Highlander
2 Posts
did you find anything out from the detailer on the moonroof issue? I have the same issue and have an appt next week. will let everyone know what i find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
my 2013 highlander had this problem before, dealer just replaced weather seal, so far no problem at all, I don't know if it may come back again in the summer time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts