Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Limited with the sunroof. When it was raining the other day I opened the sunroof shade and found there was water dripping down from the sunroof. It was going into a tray which I assume then drains since it's not actually leaking into the cabin. Is this normal? Haven't seen this on any other vehicle I've owned.

Here's a pic... A bit hard it see but you can see the water dropplets along the edge

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum
165 Posts
Sunroofs are designed to leak, the water is directed to sunroof drains that drain to the ground. It’s important to keep those drains free otherwise water will leak into the cabin.
Just out of curiosity, how are they designed to leak? On purpose? I have had many cars with sunroofs in the past years and yet to see one that leaks anything, let along as much as on OP pic.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum
165 Posts
I've got a Limited with the sunroof. When it was raining the other day I opened the sunroof shade and found there was water dripping down from the sunroof. It was going into a tray which I assume then drains since it's not actually leaking into the cabin. Is this normal? Haven't seen this on any other vehicle I've owned.

Here's a pic... A bit hard it see but you can see the water dropplets along the edge
View attachment 308809
If I were you, I would take that straight to the dealer. That is not normal unless the sunroof was not closed properly. Show them the picture and they will have to address this. As I have said in the previous post, I had many cars with sunroofs but yet to see one that is leaking.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,324 Posts
All sunroof dribble a little when raining or car wash. That is normal for all cars. That's what the drip trays are for. Sunroof can't completely seal around the edges. It's impossible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how are they designed to leak? On purpose? I have had many cars with sunroofs in the past years and yet to see one that leaks anything, let along as much as on OP pic.
It’s impossible to have a sunroof that opens and closes thousands of times and also creates a water tight seal every time it closes. That’s why they are designed to keep the bulk water out but do not seal 100%. The water that drips in is caught in the trays and drained out through drain tubes that usually go down the a or b pillars to the ground. I clean them periodically by blowing compressed air (gently) through the tubes to make sure they are clear and remove any debris in the trays.

·
Registered
307 Posts
What is described above is petfectly normal. This is why there are drain hoses. The rubber seals do not water seal 100%. Also leaks in pressure car washes inside is normal caracteristic. Most cars are preety good though in that matter. If you advise op to take it to the dealer and let dealer deal with it it will be a waste of OPs time. A tech cannot reingineer some part that is designed ti work a certain way especially when there is no water leaking on the roof liner

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Highlander XSE AWD, Blizzard White Pearl
2 Posts

View attachment 308809

View attachment 308809
hello SplitInfiniti, what’s the update now on your moonroof? are you still having the issue? i am asking, because the same issue happens to mine. i wash my Highlander in a drive thru car wash and noticed the leak. exactly the same as your photo. what did you do? please give me idea. thank you.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,324 Posts
hello SplitInfiniti, what’s the update now on your moonroof? are you still having the issue? i am asking, because the same issue happens to mine. i wash my Highlander in a drive thru car wash and noticed the leak. exactly the same as your photo. what did you do? please give me idea. thank you.

View attachment 333502
Did you not read the thread? It’s not a problem. That is what the drip trays are for. All sunroofs leak some. There isn’t a way to keep a sunroof from leaking. For a sunroof to open the way it does the seal can’t be perfectly sealed or it’ll get stuck.

·
Premium Member
3,871 Posts
I guess I've been lucky for years... I have never seen a moonroof leak at all until I got to 2016 Highlander. With that HL and the 2020 (both Platinum with pano roof), I'll see a drop or two if I go to a certain car wash. Another car wash I go to more often doesn't cause any water to come through.

If I saw that much water inside after going through the car wash, I wouldn't go back to that car wash because they must have the water pressure turned up pretty high.

·
Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
786 Posts
Sunroofs are designed not to leak. However, designers have enough foresight to know that given enough temperature cycles, work duty cycles and normal aging of rubber they may develop minor leaks past the seal. The drip pan and drainage system was also designed to handle any water leaks that may develop with these conditions.

You can test whether the drain tubes are functional by slowly pouring a few ounces of water into the rail and observe that it is coming out on the ground beneath the "A" pillars.

One thing to avoid is installing one of those smoked plastic wind deflectors on the leading edge of the sunroof opening. Or, if you do, never park the vehicle on a downhill slope, or with a heavy rain or snow melt the deflector will accumulate a few inches of water like an aquarium. The water leak will then be more than a few drips and because of the slope will overload/bypass the drain pan, pour down inside the A pillar(s) and flood the electronics under the dash.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Highlander XSE AWD, Blizzard White Pearl
2 Posts
Did you not read the thread? It’s not a problem. That is what the drip trays are for. All sunroofs leak some. There isn’t a way to keep a sunroof from leaking. For a sunroof to open the way it does the seal can’t be perfectly sealed or it’ll get stuck.
i did read the thread. i only want to know the update after 8 months when he asked about it. what action he did? did he went to a dealer to get it addressed or not? that’s what i want to find out. but i got your point, and thank you for that.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Sunroof seals are supposed to only prevent leaks from regular rain. Any pressure water will make any design of roof/seal leak. The channels are supposed to prevent water from entering. With todays high pressure touchless washers it is impossible to prevent it it is 100% notmal. Going to a dealer will just waste time for everyone. The test is with a garden hose against leaks and that is it!

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
1,462 Posts
Some manufacturers (Germans) are better at weather proofing in general. You do not see the sorts of intrusion of outside from these makers. BUT they also cost a lot more for the same kind of car. I do not see leaks from day to day rain in my Highlander sunroof...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

View attachment 333502
It is not normal. I asked the dealership to look at it during my scheduled maintenance and they said the seal around the sunroof was not installed properly. They fixed it and it no longer leaks. So for those saying that it's normal are wrong. Take it to the dealer to have it fixed.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,674 Posts
Some manufacturers (Germans) are better at weather proofing in general. You do not see the sorts of intrusion of outside from these makers. BUT they also cost a lot more for the same kind of car. I do not see leaks from day to day rain in my Highlander sunroof...
The Germans have their problems with the sunroof leaking also. the Germans have also found a way to make their drain clogs more prone to clogging, due to the tips they put on the ends.

When I took my VW in to get the drain lines cleaned... the service advisor questioned me... I know they won't mind taking my money, and I know the cost is less than replacing the headliner.

I also put Gummi Pfledge on the panoramic sunroof seals.

What is Gummi Pfledge?
Gummi Pflege Weather Seal Conditioner | nextzett USA German Car Care

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have never tried pressure washer. But I did wash it with garden hose and also left it sat under pouring rain last week and none of these ever happened.
I will check with pressure washer today. But tbh I dont expect to see any of these. I dont think What showed in these pictures are normal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.