Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My previous Toyota had a sunroof and after a number of years, the outside gasket on one side started to lift.
It was no longer flush with the glass and roof.
Also, on both sides of the track of the sunroof, rust had developed.

I tend to keep my vehicles for a long time so, just wondering what I can do to prevent this from happening on my new Rav4 which has a sunroof.
Can anyone here recommend a good product to use to condition the outside gasket/seal of the sunroof and lubricant for the track the sunroof moves back and forth on.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.
I hadn't thought of Vaseline so, did a bit of online research about using it and there seems to be arguments about whether it should be used for this purpose.
The argument is that as a petroleum based jelly, Vaseline would actually do more damage than good.
What are your thoughts on that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
I hadn't thought of Vaseline so, did a bit of online research about using it and there seems to be arguments about whether it should be used for this purpose.
The argument is that as a petroleum based jelly, Vaseline would actually do more damage than good.
What are your thoughts on that?
Vaseline = oil. Sure it will lube the rubber seal until the rubber starts to dissolve. I wouldn't use it any shape or form. Just keep the seal and matching glass clean. That's what I have always done w/ my Camry sun roof of 10 YRS. That 's 2 Camrys. Each W/ 10 YRS on them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vaseline = oil. Sure it will lube the rubber seal until the rubber starts to dissolve. I wouldn't use it any shape or form. Just keep the seal and matching glass clean. That's what I have always done w/ my Camry sun roof of 10 YRS. That 's 2 Camrys. Each W/ 10 YRS on them.
You had better luck than I did.
My previous Toyota was an 09 Corolla which I bought brand new 11 years ago.
Noticed the issue with the gasket and rust about 3 years ago.
I washed the entire car fairly often in the non winter months and when I could in the winter months, which wasn't as often.
I just wonder if there wasn't some kind of gasket defect for this particular year and model of Corolla as there is another one of the same year and model where I live and I can see the exact same issue with the sunroof on that one as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts