Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know there are a few other threads out there with some info on sunroofs for our trucks. I am most likely getting a Webasto installed in a month or two when the weather starts to warm up here. Can we get anyone that has one installed to post up some pics of both the inside and outside, showing how they mounted the controls and worked around the overhead console and lights? I know there are a few out there, but not a lot and it would be nice if we can consolidate them all in one thread.

Also, if you have one, can you post the size of it? Thanks.

·
2007 DC Indigo Ink 2WD
07 DC Taco SP#1
178 Posts
Just FYI, i heard from a friend, and actually a TN member who owns a corolla that an aftermarket sunroof always, ALWAYS leaks. The only way to have it not leak is to take an existing similar model and cut around the sunroof and then install that sunroof in your car/truck. Hence you keep the original sunroof in tacked with the seals and everything from the factory.

I hope you will have better luck then most people and maybe they have improved the process and the seals.

My .02

I would LOVE to have a Sunroof/Moonroof.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a manual pop-up and lift out sunroof on my first car, a 92 thunderbird. I had it installed after I bought it and it never leaked. I'm pretty sure Webasto has a lifetime warranty against leaking also. I think they have much improved over the years. Dealers offer them as a dealer installed option on cars that don't come with them from the factory, so I don't think its as big of a problem as some people make it out to be.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have called a few dealers in my area, got the info from Webasto's website on which dealers install them. I got two prices of $1395 and one $1099, and the cheaper one is the closest to me, so that's where I'll be going. It comes with a lifetime warranty for the original owner, not transferable if you sell the truck.

·
What is this!?
06 Double Cab Tacoma
821 Posts
i saw a black tacoma on the freeway with a sunroof and then i got jealous :confused:

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come on guys, are there really only 3 of you with sunroofs? I have seen those pictures before but would like to see more posted up in a thread dedicated to sunroofs instead of in the show your truck thread or aftermarket ideas thread.

Oh well, I guess I'll be one of 4 with a sunroof in a month or two.

·
Registered
2005 TOYOTA TACOMA
218 Posts
Most "factory" sunroofs are Webasto's. All newer VW's are Webasto's and the convertible top on the beetle too. Not sure about the EOS though. I dont have a sunroof, but I have been pondering the idea. I think that the issue is the installation. If its installed correctly it should not leak. Just my .02!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the company I'm going to go to does TONS of sunroofs for dealers in the area. I have 100% confidence in them and they stand behind their work with a lifetime warranty against leaks.

·
U Cant win if U dont play
2012 Spruce Mica Tac
68 Posts
I'm about to put a Webesto in my Access Cab. Custom Soft Trim told me they wouldn't do it though because the sunroof doesn't open all the way. They demonstrated if for me. It stops about 3 to 4 inches before going all the way back into the roof.

The shade slide doesn't go all the way back either. So, even when the window is closed, you will still have about 3 to 4 inches of glass blocked by the shade. So, when you have the tilt engaged, you might not even get any air coming in.

In the Access Cab, this is the largest window they can put in. Webesto opens about 10". The Inalfa opens even less. They had both in their shop and showed both to me.

I think I am willing to forgive these imperfectiions. I've been wanting a sunroof since I got my truck. Have a 10" opening is better than no opening at all IMO.

The double cab models can handle a full-sized sunroof that will open all the way. But, since I have no plans to get one of those in the near future, I will just settle for this one. Maybe in a few years, Toyota will wise up and put them as an option in the Tacomas (at least in the double cab models).

Price??? $1199 + tax installed with a lifetime warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts