Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum and of course looking for some advice. Have a 2010 Corolla S, my wife just had to have a sunroof, and now I have to replace it. The steel frame attached to the glass is rusted and shot. The operating mechanism is ok. Has anyone replaced one? I see the four screws (T 25) that you remove and I assume ( yeah, I know what that means) I can remove it at this point? If so, is it a project to adjust it so it's at the proper level with the roof line? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jersey Bob

·
10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,293 Posts
New to the forum and of course looking for some advice. Have a 2010 Corolla S, my wife just had to have a sunroof, and now I have to replace it. The steel frame attached to the glass is rusted and shot. The operating mechanism is ok. Has anyone replaced one? I see the four screws (T 25) that you remove and I assume ( yeah, I know what that means) I can remove it at this point? If so, is it a project to adjust it so it's at the proper level with the roof line? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jersey Bob
Welcome to the forum jersey bob. The sunroof on my moms Corolla S has also rusted around the metal frame and I need to replace it eventually too. It hasn't leaked yet though so I haven't bothered yet lol.

To replace the glass, you have to tilt open the sunroof and then remove the four T25 bolts. Once you remove the old one and put the new one in, you have to place it in and then attach the four bolts but do not tighten them yet. You'll have to adjust the sunroof so that the seal sits properly and then you can tighten the 4 bolts. The video below shows how to do it:

·
straight cash homie
18,949 Posts
I had mine replaced early on during the warranty period, but my Rolla was an early build 2008, though it had not started to leak much (luckily live in California). Not surprising now it seems that more roofs are being replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum jersey bob. The sunroof on my moms Corolla S has also rusted around the metal frame and I need to replace it eventually too. It hasn't leaked yet though so I haven't bothered yet lol.

To replace the glass, you have to tilt open the sunroof and then remove the four T25 bolts. Once you remove the old one and put the new one in, you have to place it in and then attach the four bolts but do not tighten them yet. You'll have to adjust the sunroof so that the seal sits properly and then you can tighten the 4 bolts. The video below shows how to do it:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your reply, the to videos explained all my concerns away. Accordingly I see that a 10 year old can accomplish this project, I hope that there is no upper age limit as I am 71. I'm waiting on a good used unit before finding if I'm as good as a 10 year old. Hope to be able to post a happy ending, meaning my wife not buying another Toyota with a sunroof. Wish me luck on that. Thanks, Jersey Bob

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,474 Posts
I'm happy that mine is not rusting and/or leaking even though I live in Washington. This is a good video though for those of us with a sunroof since it shows how easy this repair can be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm happy that mine is not rusting and/or leaking even though I live in Washington. This is a good video though for those of us with a sunroof since it shows how easy this repair can be.
Update: Posting this not just to see my words in print. I appreciate the help ( especially, the video ) it made the job as if I had done it before. For anyone having to replace the sunroof I would like to pass this along to help anyone else that maybe thinking of doing it themselves. DO IT " a 10 year old can do it" follow the video and save yourself about $800 over dealer installed. I'll add this: magnetize your T25 torx bit or torx driver, this will prevent losing the screws and making things much easier ( they're very short). I apologize if this is not allowed: do yourself a favor and check out used sunroofs.com , I received a sunroof in perfect condition , ready to install with the weatherstrip in place for 1/3 of dealer cost with free shipping. I can't say enough about how John handled this. It's not often that we get more than we pay for. Thanks to all, Jersey Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
Few days back, while driving on the highway in my 2013 Lincoln MKT, i heard a unexpected detonation from the top of the car. The sunroof towards the front of the car exploded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Few days back, while driving on the highway in my 2013 Lincoln MKT, i heard a unexpected detonation from the top of the car. The sunroof towards the front of the car exploded.
All I can say to help, is to contact John Kerr @ used sunroofs.com, If you have to wait some to get one from him, it will be worth taping over your old roof to save a lot of money.Jersey Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
All I can say to help, is to contact John Kerr @ used sunroofs.com, If you have to wait some to get one from him, it will be worth taping over your old roof to save a lot of money.Jersey Bob
Dear Jersey, a bunch of thanks for your kind response. and i will do the same.
but i have one more questing please do you have such kind of direct experience?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill, if by your question, are you asking if I bought a sunroof from used sunroofs.com? Yes, I was so impressed with the service, the quality of the roof (like new), the price, free shipping, constant emails about delivery. What's not to like? It's not often our expectations are exceeded and we get more than we paid for. Answer your question? Good luck, Bill. Jersey Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts