Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The track on my 90 broke and my motor still works and seems like it's sort of connected to the glass as I can move it somewhat but I'm unable to close the roof completely and it's open a crack. Parts are discontinued of course. Is there anyway to repair the track or just get the roof closed completely and never have to worry about it?

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
On my '87 the cable broke off and separated from a plastic piece that bolts to the roof glass. Without the cable(s) being attached and working the glass could not maintain pressure on the rubber seal. I used glue to repair amazingly it is still fine 5 years later, the type of plastic melts in contact with superglue so it basically made the plastic one piece again.

You might have a different problem but the type of failure I had I think is most common, that and the motor itself failing. Removing the motor assembly will confirm the problem you will be able to see both cables they should move with the roof. Pulling the motor is a bit tricky without damaging the headliner.

Best image I could find here's the cable that failed on me, I circled where the cable broke off from the plastic. 63221 is the housing the cables ride in, sometimes the cables seize in the housing.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my '87 the cable broke off and separated from a plastic piece that bolts to the roof glass. Without the cable(s) being attached and working the glass could not maintain pressure on the rubber seal. I used glue to repair amazingly it is still fine 5 years later, the type of plastic melts in contact with superglue so it basically made the plastic one piece again.

You might have a different problem but the type of failure I had I think is most common, that and the motor itself failing. Removing the motor assembly will confirm the problem you will be able to see both cables they should move with the roof. Pulling the motor is a bit tricky without damaging the headliner.

Best image I could find here's the cable that failed on me, I circled where the cable broke off from the plastic. 63221 is the housing the cables ride in, sometimes the cables seize in the housing.

That sounds exactly what happened to mine to a T! I can get it closed but it won't deal toward the back of the car. It will move funkily like it's still somewhat attached to something. I'm going to try to take it apart next week since I'll have time. I really don't want to take the whole sunroof assembly out. Did you have to remove the whole headliner? And do you used your sunroof still?

·
Registered
131 Posts
it might be possible that a gear in the "transmission" stripped, or is stripping. part of the motor housing assembly. this happened on my '91 celica, the idler gear, which is plastic, wore out. the version you have might not have the idler though, i don't know. worth checking. also, if you can get to the motor, you can manually operate the slider, which might give you some insight as to what is broken.

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
it might be possible that a gear in the "transmission" stripped, or is stripping.
If so would be a much easier repair. I wonder if that gear is the same as in the Camry mechanism.

Did you have to remove the whole headliner? And do you used your sunroof still?
I use my sunroof all the time still working. Don't have to remove the headliner the procedure is about like this -
remove visors and holders
remove map light
remove RH assist handle
3 (I think) fasteners on the motor assembly

The headliner bends down enough to get a wrench in there if IIRC I used a 1/4" drive ratchet on one of the 10mm bolts. If I was you I'd drop the motor down enough so it disengages from the cables, plug the switch back in and see if the motor turns smoothly. On the blue '87 the motor outright died (that's the one in the picture) I kept it for parts never tried to figure out why it doesn't work.

Did a side by side they look the same

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if my motor spins freely then it's the track that is broken? If so super clue the part that is broken and it should be good to go? All I really want is the rooof shut completely.

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
So if my motor spins freely then it's the track that is broken?
Here's what the track assembly looks like not much to go wrong with the track itself, it's the cables and related pieces that slide in the track that fail.

If so super glue the part that is broken and it should be good to go?
If you had the same failure as me then yea you should be able to repair it.

Here's where mine broke

This is the piece that bolts to the roof and makes it move via cable, one per side.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So if my motor spins freely then it's the track that is broken? If so super clue the part that is broken and it should be good to go? All I really want is the rooof shut completely.
no. it might be. however, if the middle gear is stripped, the motor will still spin freely. you'd still want to confirm it either way.

·
Registered
551 Posts
On my 88LE it was the broken cables. About 10 years ago I paid $220 for two new cables. Had to remove the headliner and take it all apart. If cables you may be able to go to the local general aviation airport and have an aircraft mechanic swedge you one for much less.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty much dropped the headliner and completely stuck. Unsure how to get motor out, unbolted two 10 mm bolts and there is a third one that spins feeely. My motor turns freely. How does one get the glass out and the sliding fabric cover thing

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Maybe a nut is turning on the other side? I vaguely remember something like this. To remove the roof glass the entire assembly has to be removed out the top/forward. When I did this I protected the roof with painters tape otherwise you'll scratch the roof.

Do you have the PDF service manual?

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's what the track assembly looks like not much to go wrong with the track itself, it's the cables and related pieces that slide in the track that fail.

If you had the same failure as me then yea you should be able to repair it.

Here's where mine broke

This is the piece that bolts to the roof and makes it move via cable, one per side.
That last picture in mine is the cause of my problems. Cables appear to be fine, but the plastic part conntexted to that pin on the driver's side was broken on mine, which made it a huge pain to get the glass pit and prevented me from sliding the roof back to get at bolts. Had to pretty much force the sliding headliner part out and broke some tabs in order to get access to the bolts.
Now I need to source a new track assembly.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got it fixed and all back together. Was able to source a good track from a loca wrecking yard. Never want to do that again!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My sunroof is broken too. The plastic guides detached from the cables and some of plastic which holds the roof glass bracket to the guide has broken off. I'm going to try to repair it with some super glue and baking soda. My car is a Lexus es250 though. Good info thanks for this. How can I rebuild missing plastic pieces that are broken off, I think I will see if baking soda and super can help

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder why they didn't make the plastic guide sliders out of metal because they seem to break a lot. The car in the junkyard had the same problem with the sunroof

·
Toyota Collector
11,826 Posts
Got it fixed and all back together. Was able to source a good track from a loca wrecking yard. Never want to do that again!
I hear ya not a fun job at all. Nice that you got it fixed!
How can I rebuild missing plastic pieces that are broken off, I think I will see if baking soda and super can help
Epoxy putty might work you shape it using warm water. Ideally find replacement parts at a wreckers.
Do these cars have a sun roof glass tint color specific to the exterior or interior color?
Unlike the windshield which comes in green, blue and bronze all sunroof glass is bronze.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder why they didn't make the plastic guide sliders out of metal because they seem to break a lot. The car in the junkyard had the same problem with the sunroof
It's definitely a design flaw. There were 3 cars at the yard with sunroofs. One I could already see was damaged, the good one I got on first try, and another I took apart that revealed it was broken.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts