Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You'll have to mod the CAI to fit with the supercharger... The air intake ports are in different places.

·
Registered
107 Posts
CAI will not messed up the supercharger.. it will messed up your CAT-Converter...

but.. yea.. Only TRD CAI will work with Supercharger

·
Registered
107 Posts
Flashmn said:
And why would it mess up the cat-converter?
too much hot air.. Stock Cat can't handle it.. thats why TRD supercharger manual said "your warrenty will be void if you use any kind of CAI)..

it already happend on my car...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's some good info.

Is there any kind of aftermarket cat that would handle that kind of heat?

or would it just be better to forget about using the charger and CAI together?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
too much hot air.. Stock Cat can't handle it.. thats why TRD supercharger manual said "your warrenty will be void if you use any kind of CAI)..
Oh I seriously doubt that, cats work with heat by the way, the hotter, the more efficient they get. The reason why its says it'll void the warranty is because the filtration of CAI's are usually alot poorer than the filtration of a paper filter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
well, there are no legal aftermarket CAT for Toyotas.. because our CAT is OBDII..

but it is possible for you to buy aftermarket OBDII CAT from magnaflow.. it's just that you will have hard time finding a place that want to risk their business do install it for you..

and IMO, you don't need a CAI, because the tube that the supercharger come with acts like CAI.

btw, our car has 2 CATs, one before the O2 sensor and one after.
here is a picture i took right after i change my cat

·
Registered
107 Posts
Flashmn said:
Oh I seriously doubt that, cats work with heat by the way, the hotter, the more efficient they get. The reason why its says it'll void the warranty is because the filtration of CAI's are usually alot poorer than the filtration of a paper filter.
right, CAT works with heat.. but remeber, the SC produce hotter heat then the stock setting. so the only way to not OVER heating the CAT is to limited the air flow..

like i said, both of my CAT died because of it, the first CAT was burn soo bad that the honey cone web thing from the first CAT got blow into the second CAT and damage the second CAT.. i had to replace both cats which cost me over $800 for the laber and parts...

also.. this has been disscused in 2003corolla.org before it want down.. so i pretty sure i know what i'm talking about

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
but remeber, the SC produce hotter heat then the stock setting.
Its not that much hotter in a SC car. You sure you didnt run just rich, because cats are really sensitive to muffler explosions (gasoline burning inside the cat).

But why not install a race cat, the OBD2 shouldnt be affected with it, as you arent removing the cat all together, just replacing it with a lot better one. Cars pass inspection with those over here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys, I'll take you 2 on it. I'll just sell my CAI and play it safe, lol

Well, I can see that you guys know a lot about this. I am kind of going out of thread with this other question but.

I am looking at spending about 3500 on my engine upgrades. Which should I get

Super or Turbo

Or Trade my 03 for a XRS (and then turbo that 1)

I already found a Turbo kit for XRS but the shit goes for about 5 G's

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
I'd go with a custom turbo kit, brakes and enjoy it. But I thought you guys in germany need TÜV certification in all your parts.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts