Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you have seen where my Stepfather passed away on July 4th and his Tundra is now mine. He was pretty cheap and I have no clue about the maintenance. Believe I understand what's happening. It's been so long since the lube has been changed, the LSD slipping additive is not working. Here is what's happening.

If I'm in hurry and give the truck too much power in a right turn, the rear tires start to power slide. Since the additive is so weak, the LSD unlocks and sends power to the left wheel. This throws the truck toward the right curb. I counter and I'm able to bring the vehicle under control. It's only done this twice and it always while turning left. Pretty sure when the rear axle is serviced, this will solve the problem but it's a new one on me. I've not ever had a locker throw power from side to side like this. I'd say 'Yee Haa' if it keep the power slide in one direction which was the norm for my old Ram. Has anybody seen this in their Tundra?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
POWER!!!

Honestly I don't think that sounds right, as far as I know the LSD will make sure the rear axle gets power to both wheels, an open differential can make you spin one wheel for one skid, and LSD can make you spin two wheels for two skids but I could be wrong as I am not good with differential stuff. It's also possible that the gear ratio between the Tundra and your Ram. (anyone correct me if I am wrong)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Ram factory LSD failed and was replaced under the warranty but I didn't trust it. I replaced it with Lincoln TruTrac. Think that was name and it didn't have any clutches. When the Ram spun the back tires, it spun both tires.

I cannot say the same for the Tundra. One time it spins both, the next it sounds like just the right, and like I said when it's tail-happy it sounds like the power is bouncing back and forth. I'm a-little busy trying to keep the truck from hitting anything to know for sure. The first time it did that, I thought the truck had driven though something and just dismissed it. When it did the same thing last week, I knew it wasn't the roadway. I haven't been able to duplicate it because I'm not wanting to me in a condition that I cannot get out of on city streets. If I was still back in El Paso, I could drive out to the desert and hammer the Tundra all I want. Not sure where I could do that down here in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV). Guess I'll just have to have it serviced and see WTH.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, tried to have the gear oil in the rear axle oil changed today but the two shops that I stopped at didn't have the LSD additive. Now it's the labor day holiday weekend so I'm putting it off until next week.

:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to use Royal Purple since it has the LSD additive in it already. I may have to use the Tundra to tow my Mom's car, a 1992 Buick Park Avenue, to El Paso, Texas so I choose the Max Gear 75/140. The trip is about 1000 miles. I'll do the AFT and filter with the next oil change since they didn't have the filter in stock. Still need to do the belts, hoses, and the antifreeze. Heard some brake squeaking, so the front brakes need to be checked as well. Cleaned the K&N air cleaner last month. It looked like it had never been removed since it was installed back in 2002. Kinda wondering about spark plugs as well. Thought about removing one plug but I'd rather just change all of them.

All this is has starting to pay off some. My last fill up, the mpg has gone from 6 or 7 up to 10.6 here in the city. After the gear lube change in the rear axle, the noise, grabbing, the gear whining is gone. My guess, it never been changed as well. Little by little, she seeing better days. This truck doesn't have near the options of my 02 Ram but it's growing on me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts