Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that I would start a thread for my turbo build to keep everything in on place. Many of you may not know that I contacted Grant at Turbokits.com many years ago to design a turbo kit for out 10th gen 2ZR-FE 1.8L engine. After several months of discussion he agreed to do it if I could get a donor car for them to use to design and build the system. Over many months they were able to get the kit done using 2 different cars that fellow TN members were able to let them use.

I stopped by Turbokits on my trip to the east coast in September 2016. I was passing through that area on a Saturday when they are closed but both Grant and Jesse met me at the new warehouse area they have. It was awesome to see all of the kit for our car. Jesse explained what really goes into designing and doing all the R&D for a kit like the one for our Corolla. He showed me how he designs parts with a 3-D printer and what he is working on now is a commercial turbo application for a huge account of theirs. Both Jesse and Grant take their time and will always do the right thing and not cut corners. The turbo kit for our Corolla is a beautiful example of excellent engineering. Things like the plug & play wiring harness is sold for almost what it costs them to have them made. They have a wire harness company that specializes in making them do it to their specifications.

If anyone has a question about the kit don't hesitate to call Grant or Jesse. They love to help people understand what and how the kit works. It totally put me at ease about getting the turbo kit for my Corolla. I sure could have used it for more power at higher elevations and to pass people on this trip! The kit even comes with a base maps that was done on the dyno with their 3" exhaust installed. I learned a lot about the benefits of this exhaust with the turbo kit from Jesse. All any of us really need to do is find someone that can do a final tune for our location where we live. Jesse even told me that he would happily talk to the tuner to help dial it in if they had any questions. If you read on their website most everyone speaks highly of their customer service.

Here is the turbo that comes with our kit.

The exhaust manifold is beautiful and stamped with Turbokits in the casting. Take notice that this isn't a cheap e-Bay welded one that crack and fail.

These are all exhaust manifolds just for our Corolla/Matrix 1.8L kits!!

Time now for some boost! :grin:

Here is the kit al laid out.

I've got some great news in regard to the turbo kit. I just spoke to Jesse at Turbokits.com and he said that he has been working with Matt at Orange Virus about a tune on the OEM ECU. He was explaining how much better and cheaper this would be. It would eliminate the need for the plug-n-play harness which is expensive and the piggyback ECU. That would make the turbo kit even cheaper and easier to tune right through the OBD-II port with a laptop. I'm very excited about this option. I may be the first person to do it this way and I can't wait! >:D

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ordered 3 gauges for my turbo build. A boost gauge, A/F ratio gauge and oil pressure gauge. Here is what they look like.

AEM Boost Gauge

AEM A/F Ratio Gauge

AEM Oil Pressure Gauge

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I officially placed the order for my turbo kit and paid for it! :grin: I decided to go for broke and added these options to my kit.

3" Cold Air Intake
Thermal Coating - Turbo, Downpipe and Exhaust Manifold
3" Turbo Back Exhaust
Turbo Upgrade - Billet Wheel

The fun is about to begin!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was able to get a baseline dyno reading before I install the turbo kit. The shop is very excited to see what the final numbers are! I have a Takeda SRI and Borla exhaust and the numbers were very positive. Many people have said that these mods don't do much but I've always felt that I noticed a nice little bump in power after I installed them. The stock power is rated at 132 HP at the crank and I was at 126 HP at the wheels for the 1st run and 124 HP after the 2nd run.

I love the tone of my Borla exhaust but I wish I could eliminate the whine from the dyno! It sounded great in person though! :grin:

·
Registered
747 Posts
What kind of dyno was used? Sorry cant see the pics at the moment.
Does it kind of correlate to CorollaTDR's runs?
Good stuff!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of dyno was used? Sorry cant see the pics at the moment.
Does it kind of correlate to CorollaTDR's runs?
Good stuff!
It says Mustang on it. I'm not sure of what different brands mean. The main thing is that after the tuning is done I'll have it checked on the same machine in similar conditions to see the difference! :grin:

Can't wait to see how the build goes. I've seen you talk about getting the turbo kit for a while now so it's great to see that you are finally going to get it and boost your Corolla! :thumbsup:
I'm so excited! The parts are already at the company that applies the ceramic thermal coating and everything else is ready to go! >:D

I was also told that several other 10th gen Corolla owners are also getting the kit after the initial tuning is completed on my OEM ECU. One guy was in Utah but I can't remember where the others are. Not sure if they are on TN or not.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found out today that the pieces for my turbo kit that were sent out to be ceramic coated were finally ready to be picked up. My kit will be shipping out next week after they get it all boxed up nicely! :grin:

I also ordered my new exhaust manifold gasket from my buddy that works at a dealer along with a new set of spark plugs that are one step colder. :smile:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Are you going to be putting it together or your shop gonna handle all the install?
I'd want to get my hands a little dirty on this kind of build!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you going to be putting it together or your shop gonna handle all the install?
I'd want to get my hands a little dirty on this kind of build!
I will be doing the install myself. I want to know exactly how it is put together to help me down the road and know my car even better! :grin:

I picked up my new exhaust manifold gasket today as well as a colder set of spark plugs. :wink:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Started to unpack the boxes. Here is the turbo. The dark side is the hot side that was ceramic coated.

Exhaust system is in this box.

Intercooler pipes!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Get going already!
First step will be to get the oil drain drilled and tapped. I need to see if my friend can help me before Thanksgiving so I can work on it as I get time! :grin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
First step will be to get the oil drain drilled and tapped. I need to see if my friend can help me before Thanksgiving so I can work on it as I get time! :grin:
Wish I was closer, I'd be all over helping you. That way when I do mine you could help me lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wish I was closer, I'd be all over helping you. That way when I do mine you could help me lol
He's got a full size lift which will make that part much easier and allow us to stand up while working. I'll then drive it back to my house and start working on it. I will run regular 5w-20 oil for the first 500 miles for the turbo break-in and then swap back to synthetic.

Where do you live? You don't have your location listed.

1 - 20 of 240 Posts