Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
did you mean to post this in your build thread? I guess you must've had a long day, lol plus all the catch-can talk was in here today too, my bad
Oops. Lol, you're right. I'll try to move it. Definitely a long day lol.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
A few more details as I finish up the wiring for my new gauges. I bought some heat resistant braided covers for the wires to protect them and they look great.

I tried to take some pics showing closer pics of the lines of the OCC. This pic shows the valve cover out to the OCC in #1.

This pic shows the OCC out to the input of the intake manifold.

This pic shows the hose coming from the PCV valve to the OCC in #2.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow! That looks amazing. Super nice job. Following your threads might end up costing me a lot of money. Haha.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Shit quick question boys wanted to know if the trd 3.0L supercharger fit a 2.5L se Camry?info anyone
No idea. I would check with the Camry forum as this is a Corolla forum.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Wow! That looks amazing. Super nice job. Following your threads might end up costing me a lot of money. Haha.
The good news is that you can do this for very little money. Even doing the AN fittings won't break the bank.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The good news is that you can do this for very little money. Even doing the AN fittings won't break the bank.
Well, I have decided to take your advice and install a catch can, though I'll likely just use barbed fittings and clamps. Details in my thread...

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
Well, I have decided to take your advice and install a catch can, though I'll likely just use barbed fittings and clamps. Details in my thread...
so why use AN fittings (metal to metal) over barbed fittings and clamps? (metal to rubber). are they shows to be better than decent barbed fittings and clamps?

·
Registered
262 Posts
so why use AN fittings (metal to metal) over barbed fittings and clamps? (metal to rubber). are they shows to be better than decent barbed fittings and clamps?
I think AN fittings provide a better/stronger seal and I may go with them yet. Still in consultation with turbokits.com about the best setup for my project. Since the hose from the intake manifold to the PCV valve will see some boost pressure, I may go the AN route ultimately.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Jim, can you tell me the hose interior diameters for the PCV valve and intake manifold port? Thanks! It looks like the pipe widens when it goes into the manifold. I'll probably just chop it like you did and use an adapter to connect hose to the catch can, so I guess I only need the one diameter.

Edit: After a quick bit of research, I think it's 3/8".

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Jim, can you tell me the hose interior diameters for the PCV valve and intake manifold port? Thanks! It looks like the pipe widens when it goes into the manifold. I'll probably just chop it like you did and use an adapter to connect hose to the catch can, so I guess I only need the one diameter.

Edit: After a quick bit of research, I think it's 3/8".
All of the ID hose sizes are 3/8" for the hoses except the larger intake manifold. I'm not sure of that size since I used it to step down to the 3/8" that the smaller side of it is that goes to the PCV valve. Just use a 3/8" barb like I showed you. Many people have said that you don't really need to use clamps on the barbs but I did anyway just for extra sealing.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
I think AN fittings provide a better/stronger seal and I may go with them yet. Still in consultation with turbokits.com about the best setup for my project. Since the hose from the intake manifold to the PCV valve will see some boost pressure, I may go the AN route ultimately.
thanks for the answer, i hope they dont cost too much, seems like lots of specific fitting sizes and couplers and hoses, i hope i can replicate the setup properly with my limited knowledge.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
AN fittings are rubber to metal but the way the rubber part of the hose is sealed against the metal AN fitting provides a virtually leak proof connection. If you look at how to make AN fittings on You Tube it will help you understand how fantastic they are and how they seal so well. I bought this kit from Amazon for $46 that had 6 AN fittings and 10' of braided AN hose.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GTMLT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I bought 3 AN fittings, 2 are 45 degrees and one is straight from a local auto parts store that fit the OCC that the AN fittings bolt to. They were only $3 each. You can see them in this picture.

·
Registered
262 Posts
AN fittings are rubber to metal but the way the rubber part of the hose is sealed against the metal AN fitting provides a virtually leak proof connection. If you look at how to make AN fittings on You Tube it will help you understand how fantastic they are and how they seal so well. I bought this kit from Amazon for $46 that had 6 AN fittings and 10' of braided AN hose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GTMLT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought 3 AN fittings, 2 are 45 degrees and one is straight from a local auto parts store that fit the OCC that the AN fittings bolt to. They were only $3 each. You can see them in this picture.
For a little over $50.00, that looks so good/professional. I would do the same, but I already have almost everything I need: hose, couplers, clamps etc. Looking at your setup, wouldn't the pressure under boost in the can from the manifold line pressurize your crankcase via the valve cover port? The reason I am putting a vent on the valve cover and not connecting it to the catch can is so that it can vent any pressure from blowby gasses while the PCV is closed under boost. Maybe I'm not fully understanding your setup. Then again, in our relatively low boost setups, blowby gasses would probably be minimal and any small pressure in the crankcase would be quickly sucked out as soon as the throtte is released and vacuum is restored. I did see a very tiny bit of oil wetness in my valve cover port when I removed the hose. Hopefully it's a small enough amount that I won't contaminate my breather or mist my engine bay with oil. I would have just deleted the whole PCV system and vented to atmosphere but fear of a vacuum leak/possible idling problems detered me from doing so. For a seemingly simple system, these emission systems do stretch the brain a little - at least mine, lol.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
It's my impression that the 3-port Mishimoto OCC has a port to breathe pressure out to atmosphere somewhere behind all the baffles so no oil escapes, only pressure? Or is the point of the OCC to retain pressure but just catch the oil before it hits the intake manifold?

I've seen other catch canns that have a breather vent on top of them... maybe not this one?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
For a little over $50.00, that looks so good/professional. I would do the same, but I already have almost everything I need: hose, couplers, clamps etc. Looking at your setup, wouldn't the pressure under boost in the can from the manifold line pressurize your crankcase via the valve cover port? The reason I am putting a vent on the valve cover and not connecting it to the catch can is so that it can vent any pressure from blowby gasses while the PCV is closed under boost. Maybe I'm not fully understanding your setup. Then again, in our relatively low boost setups, blowby gasses would probably be minimal and any small pressure in the crankcase would be quickly sucked out as soon as the throtte is released and vacuum is restored. I did see a very tiny bit of oil wetness in my valve cover port when I removed the hose. Hopefully it's a small enough amount that I won't contaminate my breather or mist my engine bay with oil. I would have just deleted the whole PCV system and vented to atmosphere but fear of a vacuum leak/possible idling problems detered me from doing so. For a seemingly simple system, these emission systems do stretch the brain a little - at least mine, lol.
It's my impression that the 3-port Mishimoto OCC has a port to breathe pressure out to atmosphere somewhere behind all the baffles so no oil escapes, only pressure? Or is the point of the OCC to retain pressure but just catch the oil before it hits the intake manifold?

I've seen other catch canns that have a breather vent on top of them... maybe not this one?
People used to use a vent with a small breather filter but these days most do not. No only due to emission regulations but also just so they aren't venting any fumes into the atmosphere. I was told it's better to not vent the OCC and to also not vent the valve cover. In the OEM setup the PCV valve is connected to the air intake so by connecting it to the OCC which connects to the air intake does the same thing but it gets filtered by the OCC. I was also told that this will help idle and keep the vacuum more steady.

I don't think that a filter will be a huge negative but I decided to go with a closed system and I also think it looks cleaner. :grin:

·
Registered
262 Posts
People used to use a vent with a small breather filter but these days most do not. No only due to emission regulations but also just so they aren't venting any fumes into the atmosphere. I was told it's better to not vent the OCC and to also not vent the valve cover. In the OEM setup the PCV valve is connected to the air intake so by connecting it to the OCC which connects to the air intake does the same thing but it gets filtered by the OCC. I was also told that this will help idle and keep the vacuum more steady.

I don't think that a filter will be a huge negative but I decided to go with a closed system and I also think it looks cleaner. :grin:
Thanks Jim. It does look very clean. I'm about to post up pics from a couple hours work this evening. If I can't clean up the ends at the OCC, I'm going to replace the hoses which I scavenged from one of the many engines in our shop.

I'm still trying to figure out how you are not getting a boost leak into your engine with the pressurized OCC and the vent to the valve cover. I probably don't understand well enough how these things work. In trying to understand, I drew a pic with all the piping and a cross section of a PCV valve etc.

A question for you if you don't mind. Did you say that you went with 3/8" hose to and from your OCC. My can has 1/2" inlet and outlet. I do happen to have 2 aluminum 1/2" NPT to 3/8" barb from a remote oil filter mount kit I bought eons ago. I'm wondering if 3/8" is big enough to handle the vacuum flow. If it is, I'll install those aluminum fittings and run 3/8" hose. Thanks again!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Thanks Jim. It does look very clean. I'm about to post up pics from a couple hours work this evening. If I can't clean up the ends at the OCC, I'm going to replace the hoses which I scavenged from one of the many engines in our shop.

I'm still trying to figure out how you are not getting a boost leak into your engine with the pressurized OCC and the vent to the valve cover. I probably don't understand well enough how these things work. In trying to understand, I drew a pic with all the piping and a cross section of a PCV valve etc.

A question for you if you don't mind. Did you say that you went with 3/8" hose to and from your OCC. My can has 1/2" inlet and outlet. I do happen to have 2 aluminum 1/2" NPT to 3/8" barb from a remote oil filter mount kit I bought eons ago. I'm wondering if 3/8" is big enough to handle the vacuum flow. If it is, I'll install those aluminum fittings and run 3/8" hose. Thanks again!
I used 3/8" because 6AN hose is 3/8" ID. It was easier to keep it all 3/8" since the use I was using was that size and the Toyota step-down size leading into the intake and coming from the PCV valve were both 3/8". I didn't use the fittings that came with the OCC. I just bought fittings that were the same thread size as the OCC but were AN6 so my AN fittings would thread right on to them. :grin:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I used 3/8" because 6AN hose is 3/8" ID. It was easier to keep it all 3/8" since the use I was using was that size and the Toyota step-down size leading into the intake and coming from the PCV valve were both 3/8". I didn't use the fittings that came with the OCC. I just bought fittings that were the same thread size as the OCC but were AN6 so my AN fittings would thread right on to them. :grin:
Yeah, I may ultimately go the same route you did. I may first try the aluminum 1/2" NPT x 3/8" barbed, new hose and see how that goes. If I'm not happy, I'll pick up an AN fitting kit simiar to yours. Right now, it looks pretty ratty but even new hose would improve the looks significantly. Thanks.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Yeah, I may ultimately go the same route you did. I may first try the aluminum 1/2" NPT x 3/8" barbed, new hose and see how that goes. If I'm not happy, I'll pick up an AN fitting kit simiar to yours. Right now, it looks pretty ratty but even new hose would improve the looks significantly. Thanks.
So this was my final solution to the breather for the valve cover. I used a 90 degree 3/8" barbed fitting that worked perfect in the space. It looks good when the cover comes off but with the cover on I don't even see it. I also used a little covering over it to spice it up. :smile:

181 - 200 of 240 Posts