Toyota Nation Forum banner

201 - 220 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ooh, I like that. I may have to follow suit. Can you give the specifics on the fitting? 5/8" barbed to 3/8" poly barbed elbow?

Did you paint your valve cover? It looks brand new!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Ooh, I like that. I may have to follow suit. Can you give the specifics on the fitting? 5/8" barbed to 3/8" poly barbed elbow?

Did you paint your valve cover? It looks brand new!
I found a 3/8" barbed plastic elbow that worked perfectly. I used the same step down rubber hose that bought before but turned it straight down. I like that it is completely hidden.

I had the cover hydro dipped 2 years ago when I did my turbo install. I love the look. :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Here is my final setup after getting everything wrapped up. I also upgraded my air filter . This one looks a lot nicer and is larger. Almost ready for Toyotafest on 6/1/19. :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I played around with my new Glow Shift gauges today. I tried to get some decent pics to show the different colors but it the phone didn't do that great of a job. The different colors are bold and beautiful! I tried the gauges with the hood cover rings and without and liked it more without. I slipped them on the inside of the gauges in case I ever change my mind. :smile:

I hydro dipped my gauge holder like I did my engine cover.

Here are the gauges after I took off the hood covers.

Here are some pics of the gauge colors even though they didn't turn out well in the pics. In person they look great.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Ebbett's Pass #1

Some videos of my drive home after Toyotafest 2019. This was over Ebbett's Pass in the Sierras. Crazy part about this is that the road went from a 2 lane highway to a wide single lane and the speed limit never changed from 55 mph. There were also no warning speed signs for the curves so you had to be sure of your speeds. I was in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly which made the turbo pulls a lot of fun. I didn't realize that I had my dash cam in the wrong mode so it squeezed the video but you can still get the idea.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks like a blast. I'll watch them again with headphones on, but I think I heard the BOV. :grin:

On you next run, please, please, please show your gauges in operation. I'm dying for data! Boost, A/FR, Oil pressure! :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Looks like a blast. I'll watch them again with headphones on, but I think I heard the BOV. :grin:

On you next run, please, please, please show your gauges in operation. I'm dying for data! Boost, A/FR, Oil pressure! :grin:
Tough do do by myself. The A/FR stayed in the 14-15 range and drop to 12-14 range when going into boost and when off throttle and in full vacuum swing all the way to lean as it should. OP seems to stay in the range of 25-40 psi roughly. I'm not sure what is the normal range for the car but the OEM light never has come on. Boost stays in vacuum mode until boost is achieved but it's neat to see it hover around 0 and you can feel the throttle response. It feels like it make be on 1-2 psi when it reads 0 but that could just be the response of it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Love the gauges and your head unit!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
I'm curious, when you come on WOT, at what RPM do you start to hear the turbo spool vs when do you feel it?
-from a stop
-from a 20 roll
-from a 40 roll
-from a 60 roll
I've been easy off the line since I still have my OEM clutch but you can feel the boost quickly in first gear. Revs rise so quickly that it feels mostly instantaneous.

From 20 mph in 2nd gear it's on boost almost instantly since revs rise so quickly.

From 40 mph it depends on what gear I'm in. In 3rd gear revs are higher so boost is on quickly. Vacuum is near zero so boost comes on fast. In 4th gear it will be a little longer as the rpm's are lower but once past 3k rpm I'll never hesitate to go to WOT.

From 60 mph in 5th gear the the revs are around 2500 so I'll roll into the throttle if I don't need power quickly and as the revs rise boost will come on. If I need boost quickly I'll drop to 4th gear and go WOT for instant boost and power.

With a 5MT it's very easy to control how quickly I get boost by picking the right gear. And it's so fun too! At 70 mph in 5th gear the vacuum is closer to zero unless you are going downhill so going WOT provides boost quickly.

I really feel it over 3k rpm but I hear it above 2k rpm as boost begins to rise. As I said having the 5MT makes it easy to keep the revs where I want them.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
thank you for the info because the turbo i choose will make a difference in my spool characteristics..., now that I'm saving for my kit, I'm wondering which route i should take..

1. Minimal cost to see how much power i can make on lowest $$$$ spent? Like, should I just get the base kit, with the plug n play harness, and billet T28 JB urbo upgrade, and have some shop make me a custom 3 inch exhaust with a high flow cat? It'll be $3,669.00 for the kit, and maybe $400 for the exhaust shop. So totalling $4000 in the kit alone. +/- $1,000 for a good tune so may $5,000 before gauges, fab work, and supporting mods.

2. or I could go ALL OUT and get the maxed out turbokit (ceramic coating, 3" intake piping, 3" exhaust), with a GTX2860RS turbo or equivalent ceramic dual ball bearing turbo for the absolute quickest spool and to build boost faster and hold boost better off throttle, totaling $5,904 in the kit alone. I also would plan to send my turbo to OCR to have them do the T51R Compressor mod on it which sounds amazing, could be $500 for that, so almost $6,400, +/- 1,000 for a good tune, so $7,400 before supporting mods.

So $5k for the base kit with a few amenities, or $7.5k for the all out kit... thoughts? I really wanna go all out honestly, lol, im keeping this car so i dont plan to sell it or worry about resale value or how much i dump into it, as long as the mods are being done RIGHT, and how i want.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
thank you for the info because the turbo i choose will make a difference in my spool characteristics..., now that I'm saving for my kit, I'm wondering which route i should take..

1. Minimal cost to see how much power i can make on lowest $$$$ spent? Like, should I just get the base kit, with the plug n play harness, and billet T28 JB urbo upgrade, and have some shop make me a custom 3 inch exhaust with a high flow cat? It'll be $3,669.00 for the kit, and maybe $400 for the exhaust shop. So totalling $4000 in the kit alone. +/- $1,000 for a good tune so may $5,000 before gauges, fab work, and supporting mods.

2. or I could go ALL OUT and get the maxed out turbokit (ceramic coating, 3" intake piping, 3" exhaust), with a GTX2860RS turbo or equivalent ceramic dual ball bearing turbo for the absolute quickest spool and to build boost faster and hold boost better off throttle, totaling $5,904 in the kit alone. I also would plan to send my turbo to OCR to have them do the T51R Compressor mod on it which sounds amazing, could be $500 for that, so almost $6,400, +/- 1,000 for a good tune, so $7,400 before supporting mods.

So $5k for the base kit with a few amenities, or $7.5k for the all out kit... thoughts? I really wanna go all out honestly, lol, im keeping this car so i dont plan to sell it or worry about resale value or how much i dump into it, as long as the mods are being done RIGHT, and how i want.
I did the billet turbo upgrade and ceramic coating to help turbo spool up time. I'm not familiar with the T51R mod that you mentioned. I guess that only you can answer what you want to do. The tune though shouldn't cost you $1k. The tune that comes with it is very close. My tuner confirmed that and my final tune with dyno time was $400.

Bottom line though is that you have to decide what you want. If you can afford it I don't see why you would ever regret upgrading something. I knew that I wasn't going to go for crazy HP so I knew that I would be happy with the upgrades that I did. I feel boost roll on early and come on strong over 3k rpm. My Supercharged MR2 has more low end boost with the supercharger but my Corolla pulls harder above 3k rpm, both are a blast to drive.

Can't wait to see what you decide on. :grin:

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
I did the billet turbo upgrade and ceramic coating to help turbo spool up time. I'm not familiar with the T51R mod that you mentioned. I guess that only you can answer what you want to do. The tune though shouldn't cost you $1k. The tune that comes with it is very close. My tuner confirmed that and my final tune with dyno time was $400.

Bottom line though is that you have to decide what you want. If you can afford it I don't see why you would ever regret upgrading something. I knew that I wasn't going to go for crazy HP so I knew that I would be happy with the upgrades that I did. I feel boost roll on early and come on strong over 3k rpm. My Supercharged MR2 has more low end boost with the supercharger but my Corolla pulls harder above 3k rpm, both are a blast to drive.

Can't wait to see what you decide on. :grin:
It's gret news that the tune may cost me less than $1,000!

btw do you know the model # of the default turbokit turbo, and the actual model # of the turbo that you got with the billet turbo upgrade?

Also... could you possibly make a video like this of your corolla?
where you show us exactly how you make boost in each gear at lowish rpm? and just let us know at exactly what RPM in which gear you hit max boost/boost threshold? this would GREATLY help since i cant just come over and go for a drive myself to feel the turbo and how it rolls on the power, to determine if i need to spend money on a better turbo for faster spool up and boost response and/or a wider power range.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
It's gret news that the tune may cost me less than $1,000!

btw do you know the model # of the default turbokit turbo, and the actual model # of the turbo that you got with the billet turbo upgrade?

Also... could you possibly make a video like this of your corolla? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub5VwlHRa8E where you show us exactly how you make boost in each gear at lowish rpm? and just let us know at exactly what RPM in which gear you hit max boost/boost threshold? this would GREATLY help since i cant just come over and go for a drive myself to feel the turbo and how it rolls on the power, to determine if i need to spend money on a better turbo for faster spool up and boost response and/or a wider power range.
Not sure how much you will honestly get form a video like that. You can only know how it feels by driving it. Watching a boost gauge swing gives no sensation of acceleration.

The turbo is a custom spec'd T28 turbocharger. I had them swap out the standard wheel for the billet aluminum version. I'm not sure what the part number is. For some of this information I would highly recommend that you reach out to Jesse at Turbokits. His extension is 2 after you dial the main number. He is a wealth of information so use his knowledge to your benefit.

As I said before, if you can afford to improve anything performance wise than do it. I personally felt that 250 HP would be plenty for what I was going after. If you want more I would ask what Jesse recommends.

And if anyone wants to charge you a $1k for a tune that is already close I would look around. Everyone I was asking was quoting $300-$500. I went with this guy since I liked him and felt like he was being honest with me when I met him. And he also told me how great the build quality of the turbo kit was!

·
Registered
262 Posts
The guy that's tuning my car says 1.0 - 1.5 hours @$125.00hr Canadian. He says that it's quick because there is a base map already loaded. Now, I have no doubt there will be things that need adjustment and it will probably add a little extra time. My dyno tune appointment is 15 July.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
Not sure how much you will honestly get form a video like that. You can only know how it feels by driving it. Watching a boost gauge swing gives no sensation of acceleration.

The turbo is a custom spec'd T28 turbocharger. I had them swap out the standard wheel for the billet aluminum version. I'm not sure what the part number is. For some of this information I would highly recommend that you reach out to Jesse at Turbokits. His extension is 2 after you dial the main number. He is a wealth of information so use his knowledge to your benefit.

As I said before, if you can afford to improve anything performance wise than do it. I personally felt that 250 HP would be plenty for what I was going after. If you want more I would ask what Jesse recommends.

And if anyone wants to charge you a $1k for a tune that is already close I would look around. Everyone I was asking was quoting $300-$500. I went with this guy since I liked him and felt like he was being honest with me when I met him. And he also told me how great the build quality of the turbo kit was!
I'll definitely get in contact with Jesse then, btw I found the turbo that's supposedly used in our turbokit with the BatMoWheel billet compressor wheel upgrade selected. it's here on the turbokits.com site.

Also after doing some research, turns out that back in 2015 thier opinion for what the fastest spooling turbo for the size of the turbo they run with our kit and other similar kits, is the GTX2860R. :) I'll verify with Jesse and see if they have any comparison dyno charts between the 2 turbos in the same turbo-kit. but it looks like that's going to be my option!

201 - 220 of 240 Posts