Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yaris with a Turbo sounds exiting like those Miatas with Mustang engines, pics and keep us posted
I will for sure. But I will make a new thread once I start the build. Do you guys think that it would be well-received as this is a Corolla forum? I'd just link to yarisworld, but that might be in poor taste and probably a violation of forum rules.

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
I will for sure. But I will make a new thread once I start the build. Do you guys think that it would be well-received as this is a Corolla forum? I'd just link to yarisworld, but that might be in poor taste and probably a violation of forum rules.
I think it would be fine, you have our engine (wich is amazingly cool to begin with), i feel you deserve to post your thread here too!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Since you have the 2ZR-FE in your Yaris I would say it would be a must that you post a build it thread in the 10th Gen Corolla section. I'm surprised that you haven't already.

Reactions: 06YarisRS

·
Registered
372 Posts
Since you have the 2ZR-FE in your Yaris I would say it would be a must that you post a build it thread in the 10th Gen Corolla section. I'm surprised that you haven't already.
I will indeed. We all came down with a nasty flu, though fortunately it was short-lived. Also, I was awaiting my packages. Which have arrived! Last night I went out and sprayed everything with penetrant and removed the spring bolts at the exhaust mani. The exhaust comes off this weekend, unless it warms up during the week.

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
I will indeed. We all came down with a nasty flu, though fortunately it was short-lived. Also, I was awaiting my packages. Which have arrived! Last night I went out and sprayed everything with penetrant and removed the spring bolts at the exhaust mani. The exhaust comes off this weekend, unless it warms up during the week.
congratulations! i cant wait to see the progress and eventually see the numbers

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Oil Catch Can installed!

Today I continued with installing my new 3-port oil catch can. I installed it with AN fittings. It was the first time I've used AN fittings and they were a breeze to make and install. And they look great too!

First part was to loosen the intake manifold to have access to the PVC valve. I figure that I might as well replace it since I was there.

Old vs. new. The old one was still in excellent condition.

New PCV valve installed.

AN fitting installed.

Hose fit on new PCV valve.

I used the hose that connected the PCV valve to the intake manifold since it was larger on the intake manifold side. It quickly sizes down to the 3/8" I.D. hose that was used. I used a 3/8" barb to connect it to the AN hose that comes from the output of the OCC.

Getting things dialed in.

I had the same issue with the hose that normally goes from the valve cover the the intake pipe but on the turbo intake pipe there is no place to connect it to. This is why I used a 3-port OCC with 2 inputs and one output. The problem is that the hose size on the valve cover is larger like the port into the intake manifold. I bought an extra hose that is from my 2010 Prius PCV valve as the angle of the hose were just what I needed. Here you can see how it will sit.

I will use another 3/8" barb to connect the 2 hoses and the engine cover will hide the spice. Perfect! I just need to buy another 3/8" barb. :smile:

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
Today I continued with installing my new 3-port oil catch can. I installed it with AN fittings. It was the first time I've used AN fittings and they were a breeze to make and install. And they look great too!

First part was to loosen the intake manifold to have access to the PVC valve. I figure that I might as well replace it since I was there. I was happy to see that my intake manifold was very clean with little to no oil in it at all.

Old vs. new. The old one was still in excellent condition.

New PCV valve installed.

AN fitting installed.

Hose fit on new PCV valve.

I used the hose that connected the PCV valve to the intake manifold since it was larger on the intake manifold side. It quickly sizes down to the 3/8" I.D. hose that was used. I used a 3/8" barb to connect it to the AN hose that comes from the output of the OCC.

Getting things dialed in.

I had the same issue with the hose that normally goes from the valve cover the the intake pipe but on the turbo intake pipe there is no place to connect it to. This is why I used a 3-port OCC with 2 inputs and one output. The problem is that the hose size on the valve cover is larger like the port into the intake manifold. I bought an extra hose that is from my 2010 Prius PCV valve as the angle of the hose were just what I needed. Here you can see how it will sit.
Wow! thank you for this post. I'd been waiting and hoping you'd share it. I'm wondering if you could post a "parts list" and "steps" of sorts, so we can know what we need to purchase and do... in order to be able to do this mod ourselves? I plan to do this EXACT method and version of a catch-can on my corolla as a preemptive turbo upgrade! If you could also go over what tools/bits we may need to actually do the work that would be super useful, so i can ensure i have the parts. :)

-Your intake does look super-clean, but also your valve cover looks super clean as well, how'd you get it so clean? Mine is all grimy and dusty.
-Where did you mount your catch-can.., what kinda bracket you use? can we mount it there before we've done our turbo upgrade?
-how often will you be cleaning our the catch-can?
-super smart of you to buy a Prius PCV hose to adapt, do you have the part # for it?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Wow! thank you for this post. I'd been waiting and hoping you'd share it. I'm wondering if you could post a "parts list" and "steps" of sorts, so we can know what we need to purchase and do... in order to be able to do this mod ourselves? I plan to do this EXACT method and version of a catch-can on my corolla as a preemptive turbo upgrade! If you could also go over what tools/bits we may need to actually do the work that would be super useful, so i can ensure i have the parts. :)

-Your intake does look super-clean, but also your valve cover looks super clean as well, how'd you get it so clean? Mine is all grimy and dusty.
-Where did you mount your catch-can.., what kinda bracket you use? can we mount it there before we've done our turbo upgrade?
-how often will you be cleaning our the catch-can?
-super smart of you to buy a Prius PCV hose to adapt, do you have the part # for it?
Thanks, I appreciate that you like what I did. I'll try to give you a rundown of what was involved in addition to the pictures that I posted. If you want to do it and have it ready for when you do the turbo upgrade just get a 3-way OCC like I did and plug one of the inputs since you will still have the hose hooked up from the valve cover to the intake tube of your air filter. When you do the turbo this is where I used the hose from the Prius. I looked for the package for the part number but I couldn't find it. If you ask a Toyota parts guy for the rubber hose that attaches from the PCV valve to the intake manifold they will be able to look it up. It was around $10.

- I'm not sure about my valve cover. I've taken the plastic cover off a few times over the years to clean it off with some Simple Green but nothing crazy.
- I mounted the OCC with some black heavy duty "L" brackets that I bought at the local hardware store. The bolt I used was the back one near the top of the head.

- You should be able to easily mount the OCC in the same location before the turbo install so it's ready to go and 2 of the 3 hoses will be already hooked up. From the PCV valve to the input of the OCC and from the OCC output to the intake manifold input that normally comes directly from the PCV valve. You will need one 3/8" brass barb to connect the to hoses together like I showed in a picture.
- I'll have to experiment and see how much is being produced and caught by the OCC. My intake manifold was pretty clean so I'm hoping that cleaning it at every oil change will be enough but I'll check it at 500 miles at first and gauge how quickly it fills up. I do very few short trips so that will help too as everything always gets up to operating temperature.
- Just ask for a 2010 Prius hose from the PCV valve to the manifold. You see what it looks like in the picture.

I bought this kit on Amazon for the AN lines.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GTMLT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

This is the 3 port OCC that I bought but any 3 port OCC could work. Just get one that has a baffle.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMBCC-MSTHR-BK-Compact-Baffled-3-Port/dp/B00OBEOXMW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3PY0UQK9DAZVA&keywords=mishimoto+oil+catch+can&qid=1556598588&s=automotive&sprefix=Mishimoto%2Cautomotive%2C200&sr=1-7[/ame]

I bought these fittings from a local automotive store that sells AN fittings. I used one straight fitting to the valve cover port and 2 of the 45 degree fittings. The AN fittings connect to theses fittings that are screwed into the OCC.

I also bought a new PCV valve from Toyota. You need to remove the 5 bolts on the top of the intake manifold and one on the lower right near where the hose connects that comes from the PCV valve. There is a video on You Tube that will help from a guy going through the steps. He does some tings that I would never do but it will be a good guide. Once you pull the intake manifold forward a little you will have enough room to remove the hose from the PCV valve and run a new one to the OCC. You can easily replace the PCV valve at that time too. It takes a 22mm socket to remove it as I showed in a photo. Install the AN fittings on one end of the hose and then mark the hose for the length. To cut the AN hose I used my Dremel but you could also use a anything with a cut-off wheel attached.

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that you like what I did. I'll try to give you a rundown of what was involved in addition to the pictures that I posted. If you want to do it and have it ready for when you do the turbo upgrade just get a 3-way OCC like I did and plug one of the inputs since you will still have the hose hooked up from the valve cover to the intake tube of your air filter. When you do the turbo this is where I used the hose from the Prius. I looked for the package for the part number but I couldn't find it. If you ask a Toyota parts guy for the rubber hose that attaches from the PCV valve to the intake manifold they will be able to look it up. It was around $10.

- I'm not sure about my valve cover. I've taken the plastic cover off a few times over the years to clean it off with some Simple Green but nothing crazy.
- I mounted the OCC with some black heavy duty "L" brackets that I bought at the local hardware store. The bolt I used was the back one near the top of the head.

- You should be able to easily mount the OCC in the same location before the turbo install so it's ready to go and 2 of the 3 hoses will be already hooked up. From the PCV valve to the input of the OCC and from the OCC output to the intake manifold input that normally comes directly from the PCV valve. You will need one 3/8" brass barb to connect the to hoses together like I showed in a picture.
- I'll have to experiment and see how much is being produced and caught by the OCC. My intake manifold was pretty clean so I'm hoping that cleaning it at every oil change will be enough but I'll check it at 500 miles at first and gauge how quickly it fills up. I do very few short trips so that will help too as everything always gets up to operating temperature.
- Just ask for a 2010 Prius hose from the PCV valve to the manifold. You see what it looks like in the picture.

I bought this kit on Amazon for the AN lines.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GTMLT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the 3 port OCC that I bought but any 3 port OCC could work. Just get one that has a baffle.
https://www.amazon.com/Mishimoto-MMBCC-MSTHR-BK-Compact-Baffled-3-Port/dp/B00OBEOXMW/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3PY0UQK9DAZVA&keywords=mishimoto+oil+catch+can&qid=1556598588&s=automotive&sprefix=Mishimoto,automotive,200&sr=1-7

I bought these fittings from a local automotive store that sells AN fittings. I used one straight fitting to the valve cover port and 2 of the 45 degree fittings. The AN fittings connect to theses fittings that are screwed into the OCC.

I also bought a new PCV valve from Toyota. You need to remove the 5 bolts on the top of the intake manifold and one on the lower right near where the hose connects that comes from the PCV valve. There is a video on You Tube that will help from a guy going through the steps. He does some tings that I would never do but it will be a good guide. Once you pull the intake manifold forward a little you will have enough room to remove the hose from the PCV valve and run a new one to the OCC. You can easily replace the PCV valve at that time too. It takes a 22mm socket to remove it as I showed in a photo. Install the AN fittings on one end of the hose and then mark the hose for the length. To cut the AN hose I used my Dremel but you could also use a anything with a cut-off wheel attached.
Dude, I'm always interested in what you do to your Corolla, it's apparent that you truly care for it and spare no expense, which if i had the money- i would do as well.

Thanks for all the links to all the items and descriptions. I understand it but ive never dealt with AN fittings or those kinds of hoses but I've got a dremel and so if I take it one step at a time, I think I'll figure it out. I'll come back if i ever have any questions.

About the video from that guy on youtube that went through the steps, I've seen it before, what exactly does he do that you wouldn't do?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Dude, I'm always interested in what you do to your Corolla, it's apparent that you truly care for it and spare no expense, which if i had the money- i would do as well.

Thanks for all the links to all the items and descriptions. I understand it but ive never dealt with AN fittings or those kinds of hoses but I've got a dremel and so if I take it one step at a time, I think I'll figure it out. I'll come back if i ever have any questions.

About the video from that guy on youtube that went through the steps, I've seen it before, what exactly does he do that you wouldn't do?
Thanks, I do love my Corolla. I had never dealt with AN fittings either but I just watched some YT videos and realized how simple they were. And they look outstanding! A Dremel with a cutoff wheel works great for cutting the braided hose. I just used some electrical tape around the house and cut in the middle of the tape to prevent the braided cover from unraveling. Worked like a charm.
About the video he used crappy looking hard plastic lines that don't bend well and looked like crap. He also did a lame way around the larger port that goes int the intake manifold. Not sure why he didn't just used a 3/8" bard coupler like I did instead of the hockey BS that he did.

Here are some more pics. This is the 3/8" brass coupler, I used 2 of them.

Finished hose from the valve cover using a coupler to the OCC.

OCC tucked under the engine cover.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks, I do love my Corolla. I had never dealt with AN fittings either but I just watched some YT videos and realized how simple they were. And they look outstanding! A Dremel with a cutoff wheel works great for cutting the braided hose. I just used some electrical tape around the house and cut in the middle of the tape to prevent the braided cover from unraveling. Worked like a charm.
About the video he used crappy looking hard plastic lines that don't bend well and looked like crap. He also did a lame way around the larger port that goes int the intake manifold. Not sure why he didn't just used a 3/8" bard coupler like I did instead of the hockey BS that he did.

Wow! What an amazing and professional looking installation! I've been reading a bit about AN fittings myself. From what I understand, they are pretty much guaranteed not to leak, and they do look so good.

I don't plan on a catch can at this point in my build. I'm just going to put a filter on the valve cover breather hose.

Reactions: Cuban Legend

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts

Thanks again for the detailed pics, and yes I agree in the video of the guy doing the Corolla Catch-can, is does seemingly use cheap/hard plastic lines that didn't seem to bend well and used a weird routing for them.

the OCC tucked under your engine cover, dang that looks nice, Idk if it'll fit properly for me "pre turbo-kit", as the stock Takeda intake uses that bolt to mount to the long-block for stability... hmmm, maybe i can figure it out regardless, it DOES look quite amazingly tucked away post-turbo though! I'll certainly be using that exact mounting point.

By the way, did you spray some brown paint back there by your K&N intake? i thought i saw that in a previous post from a couple days back.. or is that just like a moisture spot that's started to rust? lol

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
Wow! What an amazing and professional looking installation! I've been reading a bit about AN fittings myself. From what I understand, they are pretty much guaranteed not to leak, and they do look so good.

I don't plan on a catch can at this point in my build. I'm just going to put a filter on the valve cover breather hose.
Intersting point, I've seen that done before, are you going to just plug the valve cover breather exit that enters in your your intake after the MAF? ... but then I'm curious, what are you going to do with your PCV valve post turbo.. most do a catch can. And now that I think about it, I've never seen where the PCV hose on a STOCK N/A 2ZR-FE Corolla goes... hmm. doesn't it go somewhere into the rear of your throttle body or something? when we do the catch-can , do we plug that PCV exit location that enters back into the intake/throttle body? Wait, the cath can has an EXIT itself, so I'm guessing we have to use one of the 2 entrances back into the intake, either the PCV one or the valve cover gasket one, right? and just plug the other? hmmm. I think im finally wrapping my head around this, it's super helpful to understanding it's purpose, use, and importace in a boosted application, due to possibly increased Crank Oil Pressure coming up through the PCV and the valve cover exit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Driving around today was so much fun. The extra power is amazing and I haven't even gotten on it really hard yet. I'm still on the base tune waiting until next week to drop it off for it's final tune. And I still got 35 mpg running around today! :grin:

I had the final exhaust work done on my muffler and getting the tip welded on. I took a few pics of the underside too. :smile:

SuperchargedMR2 I like all the system of suspension of your car must have cost you enough money, I would like to install it in mine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Intersting point, I've seen that done before, are you going to just plug the valve cover breather exit that enters in your your intake after the MAF? ... but then I'm curious, what are you going to do with your PCV valve post turbo.. most do a catch can. And now that I think about it, I've never seen where the PCV hose on a STOCK N/A 2ZR-FE Corolla goes... hmm. doesn't it go somewhere into the rear of your throttle body or something? when we do the catch-can , do we plug that PCV exit location that enters back into the intake/throttle body? Wait, the cath can has an EXIT itself, so I'm guessing we have to use one of the 2 entrances back into the intake, either the PCV one or the valve cover gasket one, right? and just plug the other? hmmm. I think im finally wrapping my head around this, it's super helpful to understanding it's purpose, use, and importace in a boosted application, due to possibly increased Crank Oil Pressure coming up through the PCV and the valve cover exit.
One of the things that I am doing now is investigating whether or not I need a catch can. I too am wrapping my head around the concept in our engine in a low boost application. I believe that issues related to oil in the charge piping would not occur because, as you say, the pcv vents to the intake after the throttle body. Oil could accumulate in the charge piping if it blows through the seal to the compressor housing but I think that has to do with inadequate oil draning from the turbo. Since I will be venting my valve cover to atmosphere, the TB won't see any crankcase vapours as there is no port to intake vapours in the MAF pipe before the TB like there is in the stock system. I read that turbos with direct injection suffer intake valve contamination and intake valve coking but since ours is not DI, I think it may not be necessary. I think having an OCC would be ideal, maybe not necessary, so long as the combination of valve cover breather and stock PCV system can handle any above normal pressures associated with boost. I am going to investigate the largest high flow filter for my valve cover breather that I can find. But, like I said, I'm just learning and haven't yet devote the time to see if the stock PCV system/valve is capable of relieving pressures associate with boost. That said, the turbo kit install makes no mention of the need for an upgraded PCV system.

·
Corolla Fan
2013 Corolla L
430 Posts
One of the things that I am doing now is investigating whether or not I need a catch can. I too am wrapping my head around the concept in our engine in a low boost application. I believe that issues related to oil in the charge piping would not occur because, as you say, the pcv vents to the intake after the throttle body. Oil could accumulate in the charge piping if it blows through the seal to the compressor housing but I think that has to do with inadequate oil draning from the turbo. Since I will be venting my valve cover to atmosphere, the TB won't see any crankcase vapours as there is no port to intake vapours in the MAF pipe before the TB like there is in the stock system. I read that turbos with direct injection suffer intake valve contamination and intake valve coking but since ours is not DI, I think it may not be necessary. I think having an OCC would be ideal, maybe not necessary, so long as the combination of valve cover breather and stock PCV system can handle any above normal pressures associated with boost. I am going to investigate the largest high flow filter for my valve cover breather that I can find. But, like I said, I'm just learning and haven't yet devote the time to see if the stock PCV system/valve is capable of relieving pressures associate with boost. That said, the turbo kit install makes no mention of the need for an upgraded PCV system.
Don't debate whether to or not to.. I think you should do it.
Check out that video by Engineering Explained, he's a pretty reliable source to learn about the science behind many aspects underlying the mechanical aspects of Combustion Engines which are a HUGE part of out car modding culture.

Like he says, it can help prevent knock, preignition, due to less oil buildup accumulating in the cylinder. And it helps prevent carbon buildup on valve/piston tops. Both of those things extend the life of the engine components and thus, the engine itself. And will allow you to safely run higher boost (maybe) due to a cleaner running engine thanks to less chance of knock/pre-ignition. Plus, if you can minimize the amount of oil that your engine burns, it's always a positive. that's less foreign contaminants in your cylinder, not messing with your compression ratio, less oil burning out of the exhaust, which is ultimately going to burn through the hot side of your turbo compressor/impeller.. i wouldn't want to have my car burning oil knowing it's going to burn through and past my new turbo lol

Also, our old friend Scotty Kilmer did a video on catch-cans last year, i always take his advice with a grain of salt as it's usually true and he's trustworthy from his years of actually doing the work, but his knowledge isn't ALWAYS perfectly up to date so his advice doesn't always apply to everyone's car. So take his advice with a grain of salt, but know he's usually right with the basic science of it all:

And if you want to kind have a more well-rounded knowledge approach, here a few other recommended viewings:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks! Looks like great info there. I'll watch the vids tomorrow. For me, the most influential point you - and others make - is the reduced chance of detonation associated with an oil catch can. I wouldn't do it, but the temptation to just put breathers on both the PCV port and valve cover breather and vent to atmosphere is strong. I may end up installing a catch can ultimately.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Post removed...wrong thread.

Reactions: Cuban Legend

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #180

Thanks. I had found out that just putting a breather on the valve cover can affect the vacuum that the engine makes. It could or could not affect the engine so that's why I did the 3-way OCC to keep it in a closed loop and not negatively affect the engine vacuum. The OCC has so many benefits and zero negative issues. Plus it will help keep your throttle body and intake cleaner.

Thanks again for the detailed pics, and yes I agree in the video of the guy doing the Corolla Catch-can, is does seemingly use cheap/hard plastic lines that didn't seem to bend well and used a weird routing for them.

the OCC tucked under your engine cover, dang that looks nice, Idk if it'll fit properly for me "pre turbo-kit", as the stock Takeda intake uses that bolt to mount to the long-block for stability... hmmm, maybe i can figure it out regardless, it DOES look quite amazingly tucked away post-turbo though! I'll certainly be using that exact mounting point.

By the way, did you spray some brown paint back there by your K&N intake? i thought i saw that in a previous post from a couple days back.. or is that just like a moisture spot that's started to rust? lol
I think it will fit okay. Worst case scenario you could get a little longer bolt so it would hold the Takeda SRI support and the L bracket for the OCC.

So in stock form the PCV valve has a tube that flows to the throttle body/intake manifold. If you look just below the throttle body you will see the port that the tube from the PCV valve comes from. SO this is how the gas/fumes flow in both cases.

Stock Version - PCV valve out > Throttle Body/Intake Manifold In
Valve Cover Out > Air Filter Input Tube

OCC Version - PCV Valve Out > OCC In 1
Valve Cover Out > OCC In 2
OCC Out > Throttle Body/Intake Manifold In

This is the hose that comes from the OCC out to the input of the TB/IM.

161 - 180 of 278 Posts