Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey what up tn,

just me wondering, i been doing sum research and i wanted to know..

does anyone know of a good supercharger kit for a 99 camry4cyl?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
What's stopping people from making one from a Scion fit?

I'm sure it would take a lot of work, but it wouldn't be impossible.

All you'd need to make is brackets, really...

I can't remember but my old shop teacher and I had discussed a supercharger for the 5SFE and one can be had for about $900 then with some custom fab, it fits perfectly.

Saw this a few weeks ago at a Scion show and that's what made me think you could totally fit one with some custom bracket work...

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
hey what up tn,

just me wondering, i been doing sum research and i wanted to know..

does anyone know of a good supercharger kit for a 99 camry4cyl?
no, thre has never been a "good" supercharger for the 4cyl. that is mostly because the 5sfe with ANY supercharger is still underpowered. unless you running a 5 speed or high boost, you lookin at a lot of money spent to be slightly faster or just as fast (depending on your build level) then an AUTO V6 and likely slower then a 5 speed V6.

What's stopping people from making one from a Scion fit?

they have to make it fit on a 5sfe, thats why. heres a better idea, the gen1.5 solara came with the 2az-fe (tC). so get that motor or whole sub frame w/tranny, swap it in the gen4 because it is the same chassis as the gen1/1.5 solara then have your cake...and eat it too.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think it'd be easier to make it fit than to swap in the 2AZ.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
true, but youd be using a 5sfe, which goes back to my original point. unless your turboing a manual 5sfe, or going with high boost on a cint. supercharger your aimin for failure. that would fall under the "can but should?" category.

if you used teh 2az youd have a much more powerfull motor out of the box with far superior aftermarket support. Im not saying this swap is the best idea, becaue we all know what is, but it would be better then a custom rigged supercharger on a 5sfe auto with little to no afermarket support.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Well thankfully I've got a 5-speed, haha.

But I'm keeping that thing stock.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Yeah an engine swap would be the easiest and cheapest way. I know this is way off topic but has a 3.3/3.5 ever been swapped into a camry?

I would think it would fly with one in there. Or a 1.8t VW engine, but thats just crazy talk.

·
hx35 turbo camry
1994 camry v6 3.0l
648 Posts
i saw online this scion supercharger bolted to a 1mzfe... dunno why you couldnt bolt it to a 5sfe you just need custom brackets...

if you are more handy with fab work nothing is stopping you to stick a m62 eaton SC on a custom plenum...

BTW you can swap any engine you want!!! it all depends on the $$$ available... hehehe even me though about a 1uzfe camry lol

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
Ive been SO surprised no one has tried the 2az before. its a very possible swap and a good motor. maybe not as reliable as the 5s or 1mz but great everywhere else.

Yeah an engine swap would be the easiest and cheapest way. I know this is way off topic but has a 3.3/3.5 ever been swapped into a camry?

I would think it would fly with one in there. Or a 1.8t VW engine, but thats just crazy talk.
yes, the 3mz(3.3) has been swapped but has been found to be better as a hybrid 1/3mz. it still suffers from teh same issues that the 1mz has so it's not all that great a swap. the 3vz is reguarded as the best option if looking for easier way to boost high.

and real men use the VR6:D

·
Lord of the Sith
CAMRY 93' !!1!
1,085 Posts
The important thing is:
the 3vz is reguarded as the best option
:thumbsup: :lol: j/k

Chronoti has the 3.3 with a blower, IIRC? maybe if we could get his input, that'd be awesome

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
5s-fe: turbo > any supercharger for power builds.

/thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts