Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE
119 Posts
Funny you're asking...

I got 3 sap drips that are stuck solid to my car. I have yet to figure out how to get it off w/o destroying my clear coat.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I heard about goo gone. Is that paint safe?

Ok so heres the story. My brother and I were working on a small project for our house and the project required superglue. We put some on a piece of sticky note before applying it on our wood. Before you know it, a freaking gust of air flys the paper onto my car. Did we see it? Nope. We only saw it after it happened. I tried to peel it off but nogo.

·
Goes Against The Grain
02 Camry SE V6
18,081 Posts
When i debadged my car i used Goo Gone. Try fishing line and heat it up with a blow drying and slice it off withthe line. Then soak it with Goo Gone...wash it with soap after and apply wax.

That's why i did for debadging, so it should almost apply to the super glue as well. take your time and becareful.

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
Only way to get super glue off is Acetone or Paint Thinner.

I recommend Acetone in small amounts on a terry cloth. You WILL damage your clearcoat though, it is by definition, what Acetone/Paint thinner will do. Do it right, you won't notice it. Apply clearcoat over area affected.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Or you could slowly sand it off, starting with a rougher grit, and using higher grits when getting closer to the paint.

For that last little bit, maybe 2000/3000 grit. Then all you would need is rubbing compound to get rid of the little scratches.
It WILL take a while...

·
boo.hoo.hoo.
1,498 Posts
I would have tried goo gone like other people suggested.

However, I've gotten sap and other dried gooey stuff off with a clay bar and lube and taking my time.

·
"Circle of trust"
Camry SE
1,229 Posts
Use a spray bottle with a soapy solution (your favorite car-wash soap) and clay-bar. After your done using the clay-bar to remove all of the residue. Apply any of the following rubbing compound or wax.

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE
119 Posts
All I can say is that goo gone will definitely not work on superglue. If I were you I'd use a combination of carefully sanding it, and then use some VERY dilute acetone on a cloth and rub it slowly. After that, get some really high quality wax and go over the area a couple times. Good luck man. You inspired me to get my sap drips off my car this week. Lucky for me, goo gone will work on sap =)

·
Bulletime
2,206 Posts
All I can say is that goo gone will definitely not work on superglue. If I were you I'd use a combination of carefully sanding it, and then use some VERY dilute acetone on a cloth and rub it slowly. After that, get some really high quality wax and go over the area a couple times. Good luck man. You inspired me to get my sap drips off my car this week. Lucky for me, goo gone will work on sap =)
Right, Goo Gone will not work on Super Glue.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Go to your local Walmart or CVS or almost any store with a medicine aisle and buy some 91% isopropyl alcohol. It's extremely cheap and does a great job at removing things like sap and, in your case, super glue. Put a good amount on a nice microfiber towel (so you don't scratch the paint) and wipe away. You can pre-treat the glue by putting some of the alcohol directly on the glue if you're having a tough time getting it off. Don't use acetone or paint thinner, that is just idiotic. If something was etched that deeply into the clear coat then the surface would have to be wetsanded.

PS- If you have any wax or sealant on your car the alcohol will remove it, so you would have to reapply it.

:Bruce:

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE
119 Posts
Go to your local Walmart or CVS or almost any store with a medicine aisle and buy some 91% isopropyl alcohol. It's extremely cheap and does a great job at removing things like sap and, in your case, super glue. Put a good amount on a nice microfiber towel (so you don't scratch the paint) and wipe away. You can pre-treat the glue by putting some of the alcohol directly on the glue if you're having a tough time getting it off. Don't use acetone or paint thinner, that is just idiotic. If something was etched that deeply into the clear coat then the surface would have to be wetsanded.

PS- If you have any wax or sealant on your car the alcohol will remove it, so you would have to reapply it.

:Bruce:
Alcohol will not remove superglue.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I think heat will work the best. Heat it up with a heat gun or a hair dryer and wipe it of with a dry cloth. Just keep going at it until it's off.

I had thought about deluding some Acetone in water but i don't know how well it would work and if it would still ruin the paint.

·
Registered
2008 Camry SE
119 Posts
I think heat will work the best. Heat it up with a heat gun or a hair dryer and wipe it of with a dry cloth. Just keep going at it until it's off.

I had thought about deluding some Acetone in water but i don't know how well it would work and if it would still ruin the paint.
I would not recommend using heat. That might cause the bonding between the clear coat and glue to strengthen.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Try nail polisher, acetone will damage your paint.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Nail polish remover is acetone.
You're right, my mistake. :D

Try using a plastic putty knife, and some touch up paint if you damage the paint. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts