Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to supercharge my 2001 toyota highlander, does anyone know what i can use, it's the 4WD V6 3.0L FOUR CAM 24 VVT-I engine, (same as the camry)

also if you know of any other performance mod's that would increase horsepower and torque let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi

I used to have a 240 Volvo 1982 Turbo. Modded with intercooler and water injection. So I could increase the turbo pressure without "knocking" the engine.

I have always been a turbo guy when the Turbo was acting as a turbo and not as a turbo acting as a fuel injected engine.

I love the "delay". Today I would never buy a turbo that doesnt have the delay. I cant explain the euphoria the "horsekick" produce.

Imagine driving on a narrow two lane road and you need to overtake the car infront of you. You gear down to third and floor the pedal to the bottom.
Then turn to the other lane when entering the other lane, the turbo kicks in and the next you know, you see the other car in the rear mirror.

I should also point out that this delay produces stress to the drivetrain but I take that any day vs no delay at all.

·
2005 HL Ltd. 4WD V6
535 Posts
oh-oh

Pressurizing an 8 year old car might be risky. You probably have more than 75k miles on it. Even conservative 5 or 6 pound boost puts a LOT of stress on the engine. The engine will probably not enjoy a long life after pressurization.

·
Registered
1 Posts
after considering lqueral's advice on diminished engine life and you still want to do this - also consider cooling issues as well. supercharger means intercooler is required. wouldn't hurt to upgrade the radiator as well. as for compatibility, if the engine codes match up, then it should be fine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
From everything I have read you can't supercharge these engines.. it doesn't work with the VVT engine.

·
Banned
473 Posts
From everything I have read you can't supercharge these engines.. it doesn't work with the VVT engine.
OF COURSE you can SuperCharge the engine.

you might want to find a way to lower the engine's static compression ratio so you can truly take advantage of all aspects, intercooling, etc, of SuperCharging but VVT would not be a roadblock.

Waste, TOTAL waste, of time and money IMMHO, but each to his/her own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts