Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

My new 18in rims are on the way and those little wimpy rotors on my car are not gonna fill up that gap! I'm going to start a new project, making an adapter plate to allow use of MKIV Supra TT rotors and calipers on the 5sfe gen 3! Anyone out there interested?

I have experiance in cnc machining and CAD so this shouldn't be a big deal, but I would sell the adapters for around $100 a set for anyone interested.

And no grinding involved for fit unlike other adapter kits.:D And much better stopping power.

I just need to get some supra TT rotors and calipers, anyone out there able to help out? Or know where to buy?

Shall we get a list started?;)

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
I hope you're only doing this for looks, cuz the car isn't going to be going anywhere fast.....

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Word of warning - while CAD and machining skills will MAKE the part, engineering it is another issue. I am sure you can appreciate the amont of work (design+math) that goes into simple metal pieces. I would be super careful making critical stress parts like that.

Go down to your local electronics place, and look at a home audio sub, and realize a engineer might have spent a WEEK designing the rubber surround on the woofer. It is amazing how simple parts can be so complex in design.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
eric sol made that setup for our camry's but without the calipers. if your changing calipers then you'd have to get another perportioning valve that is adjusted correctly and it would be nice to hook up the rear also. just my .02cents

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
you know that by adding bigger rotors you're going to lose even more hp right?

i know you are wanting the bigger rotors to fill up the 18" rim better, but imho its ridiculous to put such large rotors on a car that puts down 100 hp to the ground if you're lucky....

^ just my .02 but if its all about looks go for it :ugh3:

Keri

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Try it on your car first and then post the results and pics.

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Word of warning - while CAD and machining skills will MAKE the part, engineering it is another issue. I am sure you can appreciate the amont of work (design+math) that goes into simple metal pieces. I would be super careful making critical stress parts like that.

Go down to your local electronics place, and look at a home audio sub, and realize a engineer might have spent a WEEK designing the rubber surround on the woofer. It is amazing how simple parts can be so complex in design.
No offense, but I'm getting my degree in mechanical engineering. I think I know what I'm doing. :rolleyes:

SO no one is interested? Guess I'll be the test subject. And I plan on hooking up my engine, so the big brakes are not just for looks like many of you have suggested.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
i did loose hp at the wheels with 18in wheels more than 17 and i have the 1998 supra tt rotors on my car but hey the car stops better and it looks healthier,and they look better i'll post pics when i get back home in sc.

EDIT:
the guy i got mine from was eric sol from camryman.org but he kept it so we can use our stock calipers if you upgrade the calipers but not the master cylinder porpotioning valve and rear calipers then you'll be asking for trouble especially if you don't calibrate it to work to with the car

·
Guess whos back
2000 VW golf
675 Posts
ITs not that bad haveing your stock I4 brakes while on 18's....My 2 cents i jusy get brimbos......They own!!! lol

Ohhh yeah just look what Zoni would say at this time too....(my sig)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts