Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have an 87 supra n/a. for some reason the tail lights wont light up, check all bulbs, all are good. i went to look for the fuse box to check if the tail fuse blew and cant find it, i found the one under the hood but had nothing to do with lights, is the other one somewhere that i cant find? also it smokes kinda bad but only periodically, black smoke, any idea?probably partially shot rings or something to piss me off. anyway ima go look for the elusive tail light problem, thanks

·
Registered
644 Posts
there is a relay near the drivers side fuse panel. there is also a light failure module in the hatch area by the drivers side taillights.
start checking for power in the system. you might have a bad ground in the hatch area. electrical problems are the worst. my 1991 taillights were out for a few weeks, but after it rained, they started working again, and have ever since. talk about frustration!!!

smoking can be lots of things as well.

black smoking on startup can be worn valve seals(common problem for engines with 50k or more)

smoking under boost can be an air leak post afm, meaning air is leaving the system, but after the afm has measured it, so it still adds the fuel as if the air were there. the result is a very overrich condition, causing smoke. bad plugs and wires can cause the same smoke under boost.

blue smoke on startup is a long time sign of rings.

white smoke at any time it is not cold could be antifreez/coolant getting into the combustion chamber, A.K.A. the dreaded Bad Head Gasket!

hope that helps...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i found the fuse panel but they were all good, the tail lights come on when the headlights are turned on so im thinking the brake switch is bad. changed the pulgs and wires and one of the plugs has a lot of oil on it, im thinking head gasket is on its way out. thats what happens when you buy a car from an auto auction! lol, doesnt matter, got a friend working at an auto parts store :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts