Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Supras come with either a 6 speed manual or a 4 speed auto. My question is that a standard auto or is it one of those tiptronic autos where u can still shift the gears?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I think the automatic is like that, yeah. Someone confirm?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay but could I convert a automatic 97-98 Supra from an automatic to a tiptronic. I ask cause Lexus makes a couple versions of a tiptronic 5speed and 1 6speed tiptronic. I know it would be a pain id have to mod the bellhousing and transmission mounts and the driveshaft. But could it be done if 1 was determined?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Later jspec automatic TT Supras came with tiptronic. I don't know if the swap has been done before, but anything is possible with $.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By jspec u mean Supra that where made in Japan had this option but it never made it to America? My biggest concern is not getting it fit or anything like that. Its setting up the hydraulics for the hydraulically operated clutch and programming the computer. I think thats what would give me the most trouble.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
hydraulically operated clutch? No. Not in any 'tiptronic' automatic. 'tiptronic' automatics are conventional automatics that let you shift at will through buttons/controls. You've still got a torque converter. You can, however, take advantage of engine braking through this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most of them do use a torque converter. But the higher end versions found on luxury cars use what they call a electro-hydraulic clutch. Hydraulic pressure is used to engage or disengage the clutch and all of that is controlled by computer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
... since the auto TT has a "manual" mode where you can choose the gears manually, how about trying to rig up some buttons on the steering wheel to control that feature instead?

·
Registered
68 Posts
atuner said:
Nah you dont get the you dont get the thrill pushin a button like throwin that stick.
If a sequential manual transmission is what you really want, HKS makes one for the Supra.

(the one pictured is for the Silvia)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your right that is expensive. But i want the tiptronic cause it still lets me change gears and still have the driveability of an auto. The car i have now is a manual and its a pain driving it in the city.

·
Super Moderator
Supra
3,640 Posts
It aint even a tiptronic...it's a sequential dog box...big difference. It would still require hydraulic actuator and computer control systems for the clutch work to get it closer still, but even then it's only a semi-automatic, and shifts will push your teeth firmly into the windshield, then out the back of your head every time (these are not cruiser transmissions...all out race, on off switch clutch and gear changes). They do make such transmissions in australia to bolt on, but the cost is far more than the MKIV sells for.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
atuner said:
Your right that is expensive. But i want the tiptronic cause it still lets me change gears and still have the driveability of an auto. The car i have now is a manual and its a pain driving it in the city.
I don't even know why you want tiptronic on a Supra. They are over rated. I have it on my Celica and I never use it.

Spend the money on a Getrag 6 speed (about $4000 used from any engine / transmission importer). If you really want the tiptronic have an engine importer bring you the later Jspec tranny that has the tiptronic and the push button on the steering wheel.

Jspec means cars that were only for Japanese Domestic Market, aka JDM. To my recollection all Supras are made in Toyoda City, Japan. Although they were not sold in the US after 1998, they did not stop production until 2001 I believe.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts