Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I've had my Corolla long enough now to make a thread for it. :nerd:

To start off, I was in the search for a beater car to just get me to and from my university which is 40km away from me. I was mainly looking at 8th and 9th gen Corolla's in the sub $2000 range but then I stumbled upon one particular 10th gen Corolla. It was the cheapest one for sale in Ontario at the time so I went to go see it...and then I bought it. This is how the Corolla looked the day I bought it in October of last year:

It's a 2011 Corolla CE in Magnetic Grey Metallic. This particular car came with the Convenience Package which means I get power locks and a remote key but I still have manual windows which is pretty unique. However, the best part though is that it's a 5 speed manual! :clap: Oh, and I also only payed $2600 CAD for it which was super cheap. It had ~228,000kms when I bought it which is sort of high for a 7 year old car but the engine had no problems, the clutch seems to be new in it, it was a clean title, and again, it was the cheapest 10th gen I could find.

Now comes the downfalls. The car has had a pretty rough history with it originally being from Quebec (which if you didn't know, is not the greatest place for a car to have previously been in), it's had a few small accidents and then a bigger one which caused it to be auctioned off as an accident repair, and it has gone through 5 different owners. :frown: While it did run fine when I got the car, I soon started to see the abuse from it's past catch up to it. The transmission would grind pretty badly into 3rd and in cold weather, it would be like shifting through playdough. The body is also pretty beat around it with the quarter panel being dented in on both sides, a poor bondo job on the drivers door which is starting to come off, plus some general damage to the front bumper, fenders, etc.

Oh yes, there is also the main damage from that one big accident on it. Luckily, the damage is only to the rocker panel and lower hinge pillar but it caused the passenger door to be misaligned and have a slight gap...

It's pretty obvious now that some (or all) of the previous five owners did not really care about the car. However, it's my job to now show the car some love! Within a few months, I managed to fix a few things such as realigning the passenger door to fix the door gap, replacing various broken interior pieces with newish ones from the junkyard, changing out the tranny fluid with fresh new fluid which fixed the grind, and removing the stupid remote start system that was improperly installed just to name a few things:

The mess before:

After:

Eventually, it was time for some mods. I scored some 9th gen Tein S-Tech lowering springs for SUPER cheap and had to install them:

About a 2.5 inch drop all around

I also ended up replacing the front sway bar end links which were seized and worn out. The springs greatly reduce body roll but they are pretty bouncy thanks to the 200k km shocks that they are installed on. I'm still happy with them though. For audio, I installed a stealthy bluetooth adapter since it wasn't until 2012 when USB became standard on the CE Corolla's:

And I even put in some yellow high beam bulbs even though I did the DRL delete. I needed new bulbs anyways and I like the look that they have in the headlight housing.

I've done some other smaller things such as a full 6000K LED interior light conversion as well as 6000K reverse and license plate lights.

This is how she sits now:

Still pretty stock looking especially with the steelies but I've got a lot planned for the future. The main thing right now is that I love driving this car! It's pretty lightweight for today's standards plus it's a manual so it's fun driving around on backroads and even daily driving duties are much more fun when I'm rowing through the gears. :grin:

I'll update this thread as I make more progress on my Corolla. :thumbsup:

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So, since I love driving this car, I thought I'd sign up for some events to finally get out there and push both my car and myself to our limits. I signed up for my first AutoX event and was pretty excited. That was until I started seeing oil spots on my driveway...and then I noticed that those oil spots were actually transmission fluid which was coming from my Corolla. I jacked it up to see what the cause was and my first thought was maybe I didn't tighten the drain bolt enough when I changed the fluid about a month before. But it was worse than that:

It's kind of hard to see but you can see that the axle seal area is pretty wet. I assumed at this point that my axle seal may have been damaged from a previous axle install (if you didn't notice, those are aftermarket axles). This all happened about 2 days before the event so I could either skip the event and replace the axle seal or just send it and cross my finger. Sooooo...

I sent it :grin:

Actually, the day before the autox event, there was a lapping event at a local racetrack which I also attended. I bought a quart of the RP Synchromax fluid that I used and just topped off the fluid in between the events. The lapping event was a great experience and was a great way to get a feel for track driving. Then the next day was the AutoX. Being my first AutoX, it was a huge learning experience but I met a ton of cool people, learned the new limits of my car, and had a ton of fun! :thumbsup:

The next day, I attempted to change the axle seal. The seal itself from the dealership was $15 and the work to get the axle off wasn't too bad (an impact gun is a requirement to get the axle nut off). However, the axle would not come out of the transmission. No matter how hard I pulled, it was seized in there despite feeling like it was loose. I gave up and brought it to a mechanic and they got it out (after about an hour of heavy hammering) but they had some bad news. The leak may have not been due to a bad seal but rather, a bad input shaft bearing. The looseness that I felt in the axle was actually play in the bearing. This is most likely thanks to the old owners not changing the transmission fluid which has damaged not only the bearing, but also the synchros. So now it's either I get the transmission rebuilt or get a new one. :|

I ended up telling them to replace the seal anyways and to put everything back together. The transmission was also extremely low on fluid (I'll take blame for that since I forgot to top it off) so I had to buy another quart of fluid. So far, the transmission hasn't leaked fluid since so it's possible the seal may have temporarily fixed it and if that's the case, my plan is to just get by for a bit with this transmission and then either rebuild it with new synchros, a LSD, and a C56 4th gear or swap a C60 6 speed into it. Eitherway, I did contemplate selling the car at one point throughout this but that's honestly not an option anymore. If worst comes to worst, I can pay $1000 to get another junkyard transmission put in which is much cheaper than buying another car plus, I'm way too attached to get rid of this car now lol.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
this is a great thread! buying a beater corolla to daily, and then thrashing it around an AutoX course, such a nice twist to the car's life. I wish i had a 2nd corolla like you, but instead just a copy of my current one to keep stock and daily while my main one is in the shop getting modded in the future.. I may consider looking around on craigslist for a cheap corolla deal now that I've seen this thread.

I hope your little Corolla lasts!

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this is a great thread! buying a beater corolla to daily, and then thrashing it around an AutoX course, such a nice twist to the car's life. I wish i had a 2nd corolla like you, but instead just a copy of my current one to keep stock and daily while my main one is in the shop getting modded in the future.. I may consider looking around on craigslist for a cheap corolla deal now that I've seen this thread.

I hope your little Corolla lasts!
Well to be honest, it's not my 2nd Corolla. I only own one and in fact, it's my first car :D

this is an old picture from last November
The other Corolla is actually my mothers.

Also, I got an alignment today so now my steering wheel is finally straight while driving again! I was also able to see what my camber is after the lowering spring install and so the rear camber is at -1.7 degrees while my front is at -1.5 degrees. I'd say that's not too bad but I need wheels and maybe spacers so I can space them out towards the fenders. Right now, my steelies are way too sunken in.

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
Well to be honest, it's not my 2nd Corolla. I only own one and in fact, it's my first car :D

this is an old picture from last November
The other Corolla is actually my mothers.

Also, I got an alignment today so now my steering wheel is finally straight while driving again! I was also able to see what my camber is after the lowering spring install and so the rear camber is at -1.7 degrees while my front is at -1.5 degrees. I'd say that's not too bad but I need wheels and maybe spacers so I can space them out towards the fenders. Right now, my steelies are way too sunken in.
oh i see! i thought it was your 2nd one, lol. not bad for camber either!

Choose your wheels first, then see if you need spacers, and ensure they are hub-centric, if your wheels require that.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh i see! i thought it was your 2nd one, lol. not bad for camber either!

Choose your wheels first, then see if you need spacers, and ensure they are hub-centric, if your wheels require that.
I'm looking for something cheap and lightweight. MSW Type 85's in 15" weigh ~15lbs each and are pretty cheap so those are an option. 15's will look small on the car but tires will be super cheap to get for them! If I had the money though, I'd get 16" RPF1's which are 13.7lbs each.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,302 Posts
I'm looking for something cheap and lightweight. MSW Type 85's in 15" weigh ~15lbs each and are pretty cheap so those are an option. 15's will look small on the car but tires will be super cheap to get for them! If I had the money though, I'd get 16" RPF1's which are 13.7lbs each.
I would suggest you save some money and at least get 16" wheels. The perfect size for looks and performance to me are 17" wheels with 225/45R17 tires. The 15" size is good for economy but if you enjoy racing get a larger wheels with a lower profile tire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Love the headlights on your mom's car, they're aftermarket, no?

If I were you I would have stiffened the front and rear first with this and its rear counterpart;

But then I'm live on a dirt road with an iffy driveway and already have to worry about scraping so lowering is pretty much not an option for me right now.

I think the stock wheels on these cars are already a little too small so I definitely wouldn't go with smaller, I'd go with the 16-17".

Anyone know how much my stock aluminum S wheels weigh? I've thought about just putting some spacers on them to bring them out some as I actually don't mind the look of my wheels so much, but hate the tucked in look too.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the headlights on your mom's car, they're aftermarket, no?

If I were you I would have stiffened the front and rear first with this and its rear counterpart;

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-Parts-PTR02-12080-Chassis/dp/B00E2546XQ/ref=pd_bxgy_263_img_2/144-5721107-8718005?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00E2546XQ&pd_rd_r=adaa4200-99fe-11e9-bf15-c99342fc5545&pd_rd_w=wZfsf&pd_rd_wg=cjOdV&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=Z9GQ6TPBQSNXG5BKY9XT&psc=1&refRID=Z9GQ6TPBQSNXG5BKY9XT

But then I'm live on a dirt road with an iffy driveway and already have to worry about scraping so lowering is pretty much not an option for me right now.

I think the stock wheels on these cars are already a little too small so I definitely wouldn't go with smaller, I'd go with the 16-17".

Anyone know how much my stock aluminum S wheels weigh? I've thought about just putting some spacers on them to bring them out some as I actually don't mind the look of my wheels so much, but hate the tucked in look too.
The headlights on her car are stock. The S models have the black headlight housing which I love the look of. The headlights on my car, while super clear now thanks to the headlight restoration I did, have broken mounting tabs and are pretty scratched up so I'd like to eventually either upgrade to S headlights or to these Spec-D HID projector headlights:

And yes, the TRD strut bar and TRD sway bar are on my list for upcoming mods. I'd like to get all of the chassis stiffening bars available for this car from TRD and Ultra Racing to make the car as stiff and tight as possible. I just got lucky with finding the springs used for super cheap and they definitely helped with body roll as well as getting some negative camber all around. Yeah, 15's will look pretty small but the cheaper cost of tires for autocross and track events is enticing me to do so! :D

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I attended my second autocross event this past weekend! This time, it was hosted by a different club and the layout of the course was much more spread out and not as tight as the previous one. This meant speed was a bigger factor on this course but it also meant there was less of a chance of going off course or killing any cones. :lol:

There was even another guy with a 10th gen at the event as well! His is an 09 CE 5 speed with 10th gen Tein springs, a strut bar and upgraded sway bar, and some pretty good tires. He was a cool guy to talk to and hangout with throughout the event as well!

I did much better at this event and set some pretty good times. While my main goal was to improve my skills and find the bigger weaknesses of my car(tires are a MAJOR one), I did do better than some cars there that are set up much better than mine which really made my day! On my last run, my tires were pretty hot, especially my rear tires, so I started to powerslide around corners which was super fun! Overall, another great event! :thumbsup:

Prior to the event, I finally got my car aligned. When I installed my Tein lowering springs, one of the wheel hubs must have moved in the process so my steering wheel ended up being misaligned. I drove with my steering wheel at an angle for two months until I got a free alignment at work. Now I know that I have -1.5 degrees of camber in the front and -1.7 degrees in the rear. The front camber was adjusted using the stock bolt but the rear is due to the lowering springs.

For a non performance related mod/maintenance, I changed out the cabin air filter.

The old thrashed filter:

And the new:

Was only $12 on Amazon and now my A/C doesn't produce an odor anymore. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
The headlights on her car are stock. The S models have the black headlight housing which I love the look of.
I see. I have an S too but they don't seem to have such a dark contrast to me, but maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at, plus mine are in dire need of restoration as well.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and having fun. Good luck with it all! 👍

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see. I have an S too but they don't seem to have such a dark contrast to me, but maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at, plus mine are in dire need of restoration as well.

Sounds like you know what you're doing and having fun. Good luck with it all! 👍
It's probably the angle and also the fact that it's raining in the pic which makes the headlights look new. But I did restore them recently which made them clear again!

On another note, I just received both my Spectre Short Ram Intake and SpeedSource Shifter Cable Bushings. I'll hopefully be installing them both tomorrow! :D

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed the intake and bushings yesterday. :D Both installs went pretty well since it was all pretty easy to do and the difference is amazing for both upgrades!

That's with the stock airbox removed. The old bushings are easily accessible after the stock airbox is removed

The old bushings were very worn out especially the upper bushing which had a lot of play. I used to have a lot of slop while shifting forwards and backwards (i.e. from 3rd-4th)

And these are the new SpeedSource Brass bushings. With a bit of grease to help slide the c-clips on, these went on super easily. For reference, the lower bushing is on the left and the upper one is on the right. If you mix them up, the lower bushing won't go over the upper bushing pin but the lower bushing is marked with a "L" so it's hard to mess up.

The difference that these bushings made are VERY noticeable. The shifting feels so much tighter now and it's as if the shifter wants to go into gears whereas before, I'd have to guide it into each gear. For $26 USD from MWR, these are sooo worth it. I'll have to get the MWR short shifter soon now to complement these bushings!

And this is with the intake installed. I was initially thinking of not installing the heat shield but since the kit came with it, I thought I'd just keep it for now and maybe remove it later. Everything went well except I mounted the heat shield too far to the left so I couldn't get a provided bracket on which supports the intake. The intake is firmly on there so I'll probably adjust it later on.

The intake completely changed my car's sound. When I accelerate, the induction sound it makes is amazing! And despite it being a SRI which is close to the hot air in the engine bay, the throttle response and low end torque is greatly improved! I'm super happy with how the car responds now. :thumbsup:

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well the last 2 months have been extremely busy for me with all of the autocross events that I went to and also with starting a new job but I finally have time to make this much needed update.

So in my last post, the Corolla was basically sitting like this:

I really wanted to get rid of the steelies on my car since the tires were almost worn out on them but mostly since one of them was mismatched. While browsing my local classifieds, I saw that someone was selling a set of OEM 16" Subaru Legacy GT wheels (also called snowflakes) with new tires on them for $100. Seeing as they were a 5x100 bolt pattern and a nice looking wheel as well as being at a good price, I got excited and bought them!

However, I forgot that Subaru wheels usually have really positive offset so when I went to install them...

They were hitting the front calipers. So now my search for spacers began.
Not too long after, I was heading to my fourth autocross event but on the way, my rear left tire decided to go flat on me...

Luckily I brought a tire inflator with me but unluckily, I had an hour drive back home but with the tire leaking, it ended up being a 2.5 hour drive home with about 17 stops in between to pump up the tire enough to keep going... and no I do not have a spare tire in my car since I removed it for the event. It didn't matter much anyways since my spare was leaking as well so I was forced to just put my new wheels on the back since there are no calipers that they can hit.

Despite them being super pushed in, I love how they look! Thankfully my Gorilla lugnuts came in by then so that it would even be possible to mount my new wheels on. Oh and by the way, I got bored one day and had extra vinyl lying around so I decided to black out my rear bumper reflectors too. They were super easy to remove with just 1 phillips head screw each and then out they come.

I like the outcome and later on, I'll shave the lettering on the stock reflectors and wrap it again or spray tint it.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I was looking at getting the Borla Axleback exhaust for my car since I wanted an exhaust system to compliment my new short ram intake. However, getting it shipped to Canada would cost over $600-700 and I'm still looking to save money for suspension and brakes for next season so instead, I talked with a local guy who runs an exhaust shop to see if he could custom make me a sports muffler and he did.

It's a 3" custom muffler with an oval muffler body. It sounds pretty close to the Borla system and it performs really well with no drones at highway speeds so I'm pretty happy with it! He even made a cutout in the rear bumper since it has a straight exhaust tip compared to the stock turn down tip. I really do love the exhaust note and with the intake, the car is even more responsive so it was totally worth it!

After a lot of looking around, I had also found some spacers. At first I only wanted to run a 10-15mm spacer but then I heard of people needing to run extended studs which I'd rather not do. So I instead went for 25mm spacers but finding those locally was hard as well. I eventually got some from Titan Wheel Accesories and once they came in, I installed them right away:

The fitment is much better! It's not perfect but it's a huge improvement over the sunken fitment without the spacers. And so, I could also finally install the front wheels...

I love the look of them! :love: The guy who I bought the wheels from also plasti dipped them and though it wasn't that great of a job, I'm still really happy with them. While they are a bit heavier with the spacers, I'll keep these to use as daily driving wheels and get lightweight wheels to use for autocross/track.

Recently, I was browsing my local classifieds again and saw that someone was selling parts off of their old 2002 Corolla. One of those parts was a Genuine TRD weighted shift knob and the black with red stitching shift boot that comes on the 8th gen S models. $20 later and I got both.

I have a spare 10th gen shift boot base that I'm going to put the black leather material onto later on. I also finally put on my replacement Spectre filter since I managed to damage the one that came with my kit by over tightening the hose clamp....

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, now that I'm caught up to present day, this is how my Corolla sits:

I'm pretty happy with where it is right now. Sure there is still the body damage from the previous owners but it honestly doesn't bother me too much. The quarter panel and door damage I'm thinking of either bondoing and repainting myself or just getting a bodyshop to take care of it but since winter is coming, this will probably happen next year. I'm also looking to upgrade my suspension for the next autocross season. Proper tires and upgraded brakes (as well as the XRS rear disc conversion) are all in my plans for next season as well. This past season of autocross taught me a ton about bettering myself as a driver as well as learning the limits of my car and where it can improve.(y) I'm hoping to apply all of this soon enough but for now though, here are some pics from my 3rd and 4th autocross events this past season:

·
Corolla Fan
428 Posts
awesome build, i wish i could find a manual 10.5 gen like this and keep it as a second daily! :D what size and length hose did you use in the 2nd to last pic of the engine bay with the engine cover off? The hose from the top of the valve cover to the intake? I could use a longer one. :)

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome build, i wish i could find a manual 10.5 gen like this and keep it as a second daily! :D what size and length hose did you use in the 2nd to last pic of the engine bay with the engine cover off? The hose from the top of the valve cover to the intake? I could use a longer one. :)
Thank you and yeah, I love dailying this car. Since it has high kilometers already, I can drive it anywhere without caring about the mileage going up and it's a stick shift so it's fun to drive all the time! 😀

The breather hose came with the intake kit but I believe it is about 30" in length. It may be closer to 27-28" since I had to cut some off for it to fit. Oh, I also forgot to mention that I sold the plastic engine cover for my car a while ago lol. It was broken at one of the mounts so it would shake around a bit and so I listed it up for $20 and sold it the same day. I also like how the engine bay looks without it IMO.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,302 Posts
Thank you and yeah, I love dailying this car. Since it has high kilometers already, I can drive it anywhere without caring about the mileage going up and it's a stick shift so it's fun to drive all the time! 😀

The breather hose came with the intake kit but I believe it is about 30" in length. It may be closer to 27-28" since I had to cut some off for it to fit. Oh, I also forgot to mention that I sold the plastic engine cover for my car a while ago lol. It was broken at one of the mounts so it would shake around a bit and so I listed it up for $20 and sold it the same day. I also like how the engine bay looks without it IMO.
What you need to do it fancy up the engine cover. I hydro dipped mine in carbon fiber and it looks amazing! I love the clean, tidy look.

Engine cover off....

Engine cover on......

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What you need to do it fancy up the engine cover. I hydro dipped mine in carbon fiber and it looks amazing! I love the clean, tidy look.

I do like the look of a custom designed engine cover but I'm looking into cleaning up/tucking some of the wiring on top of the valve cover and then painting it gloss black. I think that would look pretty good and be sort of unique as well! By the way, I also want to relocate my battery to the back so do you have any tips on doing it or links to any of the parts that you used?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts