Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Spent some time yesterday cleaning up the TRD shift knob that I bought. The guy I bought it from told me that he bought it from a guy on here 6 years ago and that guy originally bought it 4 or so years earlier. So it's ~10 year old shift knob and its no secret since the leather has faded a bit, some of the leather on top has started to peel, and the glue on the TRD emblems were loosening. So I took the TRD emblems off, washed the whole thing, glued the emblems back on and then used some VRP from Chemical Guys to freshen up the leather.

It looks much better now! I'd like to buy a brand new version of this shift knob but they go for about $150-$200... so I'll just wait a bit lol. Next interior upgrade might be a new black leather shift boot and handbrake boot as well.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I was randomly looking at parts for sale and I stumbled upon a gem. After looking for so long trying to find ways to get one, I found a seller on eBay selling the ZR6 grille which is a really hard to find part ever since ZestJDM went out of business back in 2016. I immediately bought it and here it is: :D

Considering that I've never seen one in person before, it really does look good! I'm hoping to install it sometime next week but apart of me also wants to wait until next spring to install it so that it doesn't go through winter. I also mocked up how it will look with my 10th gen Corolla Axio badge that I want to install on it:

I'll have to do some trimming to the badge but I'm liking how it looks! Regarding the grille, some people online say that this is a discontinued item when ZestJDM went out of business but it's actually still produced. The only problem is that you have to find someone who can import it into North America which is why it's so rare.

Next for my front end, I'd like to get the R Style lip as well as "S" black housing headlights or Spec D HID headlights but I think I'll save those for next year. Currently, I'm looking at modifying my gas pedal to make heel toeing easier since the stock pedal makes it hard to do so. I've read about the 2010 Camry SE pedal mod but those seem to be pretty expensive so I'm still looking at my options.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
$300 CAD which isn't too bad but I remember it being cheaper before. And is that ZestJDM? The seller's name is Cees Dynamics but they brand the grille as ZestJDM.
I suppose they don't go by ZestJDM anymore, they probably just selling whatever parts they have left. They still use their FB which is how that eBay auction was found.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I suppose they don't go by ZestJDM anymore, they probably just selling whatever parts they have left. They still use their FB which is how that eBay auction was found.
Yup, just realized that may actually be them. Odd how they randomly came back and started selling off their old stock but I did hear that they had some financial problems back in 2016.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Yup, just realized that may actually be them. Odd how they randomly came back and started selling off their old stock but I did hear that they had some financial problems back in 2016.
Who knows. Its cool that they tried to bring JDM parts, but the niche for selling parts for niche cars is that tough with slim profit margins, or perhaps not enough demand as well especially when there are so many eBay sellers.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I got too excited and despite the forecast saying it would rain today, I went out and installed the grille. I've heard some people say that removing the upper grille can be done with the bumper on the car but since the grille comes off from the back, it's a lot more easier to just do it with the bumper off.

There are 6 "trim" clips on the top, underneath the rubber which holds the bumper and grille together which need to come off. Once the bumper is off, the stock grille is held in by these clips along the bumper which need to be uncliped:

Some force is required to pull the grille off but that is it. It's pretty easy to do and I do think it's possible to do it all on the car but you won't have much room to work with. So here is the ZR6 grille installed on the bumper:

And while the bumper was off, I decided to do some minor fixes such as zip tying the lower grille onto the bumper since the tabs are broken on it and I ziptied a cover underneath the car since a clip fell off of it. As you can see, my car is basically held together with zip ties.

Here is the final result with the bumper installed:

I love the way it looks! Even with the broken bumper and the stock headlights, it changed the looks of the front end and it's super unique now! I also noticed the ZR6 grille is much lighter than the OEM one so I guess I got some weight reduction out of it too. With the grille installed, now I'm leaning towards getting a new front bumper and upgrading the headlights as well as installing the Axio badge (but I might save that for later on). But I also want to upgrade my suspension and brakes for next year. Guess I might have to go broke and do both. 😀

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Who knows. Its cool that they tried to bring JDM parts, but the niche for selling parts for niche cars is that tough with slim profit margins, or perhaps not enough demand as well especially when there are so many eBay sellers.
Yeah, I've witnessed many aftermarket parts companies that cater to one niche market that end up going downhill pretty quickly. Zest at least catered to the Honda crowd which kept them alive for a bit longer but once bigger importers started selling those unique parts (such as the 8th gen Civic JDM front end) for a lower price, they can't really compete. If you remember, TWM Performance who made short shifters for our cars was pretty big a while ago but they also went out of business 3-4 years ago.

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
Yeah, I've witnessed many aftermarket parts companies that cater to one niche market that end up going downhill pretty quickly. Zest at least catered to the Honda crowd which kept them alive for a bit longer but once bigger importers started selling those unique parts (such as the 8th gen Civic JDM front end) for a lower price, they can't really compete. If you remember, TWM Performance who made short shifters for our cars was pretty big a while ago but they also went out of business 3-4 years ago.
Website still up, but social media is dead....what the heck happpened.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Website still up, but social media is dead....what the heck happpened.
Much like with what happened to Zest, people were trying to buy products from their website but no one was getting their orders. People would try calling and emailing them but there was no response. Seems like they went bankrupt as well. Sucks cause many people on here said that they made good quality products as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/a0mj19 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/746911-my-bad-experience-twm-performance.html
http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/126820-twm-performance-concern.html

·
straight cash homie
18,802 Posts
So I got too excited and despite the forecast saying it would rain today, I went out and installed the grille. I've heard some people say that removing the upper grille can be done with the bumper on the car but since the grille comes off from the back, it's a lot more easier to just do it with the bumper off.

There are 6 "trim" clips on the top, underneath the rubber which holds the bumper and grille together which need to come off. Once the bumper is off, the stock grille is held in by these clips along the bumper which need to be uncliped:

Some force is required to pull the grille off but that is it. It's pretty easy to do and I do think it's possible to do it all on the car but you won't have much room to work with. So here is the ZR6 grille installed on the bumper:

And while the bumper was off, I decided to do some minor fixes such as zip tying the lower grille onto the bumper since the tabs are broken on it and I ziptied a cover underneath the car since a clip fell off of it. As you can see, my car is basically held together with zip ties.

Here is the final result with the bumper installed:

I love the way it looks! Even with the broken bumper and the stock headlights, it changed the looks of the front end and it's super unique now! I also noticed the ZR6 grille is much lighter than the OEM one so I guess I got some weight reduction out of it too. With the grille installed, now I'm leaning towards getting a new front bumper and upgrading the headlights as well as installing the Axio badge (but I might save that for later on). But I also want to upgrade my suspension and brakes for next year. Guess I might have to go broke and do both. 😀
The best thing, is the bumper dent. Battle scar from tracking lol?

·
5,168 Posts
Much like with what happened to Zest, people were trying to buy products from their website but no one was getting their orders. People would try calling and emailing them but there was no response. Seems like they went bankrupt as well. Sucks cause many people on here said that they made good quality products as well.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/a0mj19 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/vendor-service-parts-tuning-review/746911-my-bad-experience-twm-performance.html
http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/126820-twm-performance-concern.html

Noticed that MWR is carrying some twm products. Guess they bought what was left in SS.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The best thing, is the bumper dent. Battle scar from tracking lol?
No, that one isn't of my doing lol. I'm guessing the previous owner hit a tow hook or something and punched a nice hole in my bumper. (n) I was going to bondo over it and paint it but the rest of the bumper is in really rough shape, plus I've left some marks on the bottom lip from autocross (I hit quite a few cones at my first event) so I may as well just get a new one next year. The funny thing now is that my grille is worth twice as much as my bumper!

Noticed that MWR is carrying some twm products. Guess they bought what was left in SS.
Well, I think you just jinxed it lol. I remember seeing the TWM short shifter for the 11th gen 6 speed on the MWR website but it seems to have gone off of their site so I guess they sold off their remaining stock. At least for us 5 speed owners, we have the MWR made short shifter and base bushings which I want to buy eventually.

·
5,168 Posts
You could consider using a gen1 tc ss. Been seeing 9th gen owners buying these up. Also, noticed dealers are marking them up. Varies between $250-300 USD.

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
You could consider using a gen1 tc ss. Been seeing 9th gen owners buying these up. Also, noticed dealers are marking them up. Varies between $250-300 USD.
I'm pretty sure I'd have to swap to a TC shifter box as well in order to use a TC ss, right? I remember reading somewhere that the gen 1 TC shifter box mounting holes match the 9th gen shifter box locations so I'd have to see if it's the same with the 10th gen too but it's likely that it is. It would open up the door to even more potential gearbox mods for us!

·
5,168 Posts
Next time I go to the junkyard, I will see if they fit. We don't get too many 10th gens out here. Though, I recently saw the first xrs Corolla in the yard. Snag up some goodies. Lol. Sold it off though.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,302 Posts
I love my TWM short shifters. That would be a sad case if they are gone. Many of my cars have them now.

2009 Corolla S Turbo 5MT
2006 Scion xB 5MT
2008 Yaris 5MT - daughters car
2017 Corolla iM 6MT
2007 Corolla 5MT - daughters car

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Next time I go to the junkyard, I will see if they fit. We don't get too many 10th gens out here. Though, I recently saw the first xrs Corolla in the yard. Snag up some goodies. Lol. Sold it off though.
Yup, that's the thing with the 10th gens right now. They are still too new to be at junkyards which means I can't get cheap parts from one at a U-pull yet. The only ones that I've seen at junkyards were totaled ones and most of the time, someone has already cut a portion out of them to use on a salvage rebuild. Since it seems that 10th gens are really reliable and don't rust like older models, it'll still be a few years before they do regularly show up at U-pulls.
I love my TWM short shifters. That would be a sad case if they are gone. Many of my cars have them now.
It does suck that they are gone but at least MWR makes a kit for us which comes with the base bushings as well! (y)

·
10th Gen Addict
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My Razo Adjustable Throttle Pedal came in the mail yesterday. I've heard many good things about how this pedal will help people do heel-toe downshifts easier since you can space up the pedal plate and widen it as well. The stock pedal setup in the 10th gen has a lot of space between the throttle and brake pedal and the throttle pedal is a bit far back so at least for me, I have trouble learning how to do heel-toe downshifts. A while back, I read that you could swap in a 2010 Camry SE 5 speed accelerator pedal to aide in heel-toe but I think that would cost me $300+ from the dealership. The Razo pedal was just $30! 😀

Plus it's from Japan! (y)

After installing it and trying it out, I can finally do heel toe downshifts a bit more consistently but I'm still learning lol. I will sometimes give too little throttle or too much but I hope that after some practice, I'll eventually get it.

It doesn't make the pedal look any better but as long as it works, it was well worth it to me. Maybe I'll do the Camry pedal mod in the future.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts