Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The Razo pedal has definitely helped with heel toe downshifts! After practicing for the past few days on some backroads, I'm able to brake much later now by heel toeing. I'm not a master at it yet but I've gone from barely ever being able to heel toe to successfully heel toeing almost everywhere I go now. I highly recommend the Razo pedal to anyone with a newer Corolla that wants to learn it as well.

While I was practicing, I also took a DSLR with me and took some pictures of my car. ?

And I took some more when I went to one of my favourite backroads which is a bit of a drive to get to. It's a much more open and longer road with more twisty sections.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I scored a few things for my Corolla recently. I got a set of OEM 10th gen carpet floor mats from a low kilometer 2009 Corolla at work (collision vehicle being used for parts) which are in perfect condition!

My old ripped drivers mat:

My new set:

These are a huge upgrade but now that I have good floor mats, I had to get a set of rubber winter mats so that I don't ruin the carpet mats. Luckily, the same car had a newish set in it so I took those as well. ? Another thing that I got from the car were it's steel wheel lug nuts to replace my open-ended lug nuts for my winter wheels. The ones that I got from that car are close ended which are good for keeping salt and rust out of the wheel studs. I've also had to install my winter wheels now on my own Corolla as well as the other one since we got a few centimeters of snow:

You can see the new lug nuts that I recently got on the car and they're chrome as well which look pretty good. I also took the spacers off for the winter rims so that they don't rub the fenders. Now that it's winter, it's time I save up some money for coilovers and brake upgrades for next spring! (y)

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, I guess this marks the end for my Corolla. While heading to work this past Monday on the highway, a semi truck decided to clip the rear of my Corolla which spun me sideways and caused him to slam into me again but this time on my side. It was a pretty hard hit which I didn't realize at first thanks to my adrenaline pumping but thankfully I'm okay, just a little sore from the whiplash. However, the Corolla was not okay. It was written off.

The quarter panel was pretty badly damaged and the B-pillar as well as the A-pillar were pushed in. I keep thinking back wondering if I could have done anything to have prevented it and I remember counter steering as hard as I could after I initially got clipped trying to avoid the truck but I guess it was already too late.

It wasn't until the next day that the insurance officially totaled the car. I did get an okay payout but I quickly contacted the shop my car was at and went there to get as many of my aftermarket parts off before the tow truck came to take it away. I was able to get everything except the Tein springs, the MWR shifter bushings, the sports muffler (which got destroyed during the tow anyways), and some LED bulbs.

That's how she looked before the tow truck came to get her. The insurance company told me that the damage was so bad that they may not even bring this car to the insurance auctions. They will either send it off to a junkyard for parts or just have it get crushed. After 383 days of owning, caring for, and rebuilding this car from its former neglect, it took just a few seconds for it to get completely destroyed.

I'm very upset but I'm thankful that the car protected me and I'm lucky that the accident wasn't anymore worse than it was. I don't know what I'll get next and I haven't really started looking yet since I've been so bummed about the situation. I guess it's time to move on now. R.I.P. :cry:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Glad you’re ok. It’s hard to let go of something you worked so hard for. Just goes to show that our car is not just an appliance since it has some emotional connection to us. Keep us posted on what your next project is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the well wishes guys! It's been a few more days and I think I'm all better now. All of the pain that I had in my neck and back from the whiplash seems to be gone but I still need to go do a second checkup with the doctor though just in case.
Sorry this happened. The bright side is you are alright. Based on your description of events, it's a wake up call for people to start paying more attention on the roads.
It definitely is. I still don't know what that semi truck driver was thinking, if he wanted to switch lanes or just didn't see me, but more people need to understand that a lot can happen if you don't pay attention even for a split second.
Sorry to hear this. Glad you’re ok. It’s hard to let go of something you worked so hard for. Just goes to show that our car is not just an appliance since it has some emotional connection to us. Keep us posted on what your next project is.
Yeah, it has definitely been tough the past few days. I knew that I had to go look for another car but I just didn't want to because I just felt so defeated with losing my Corolla. I didn't even know if I wanted another Corolla. I eventually did go out and do some test drives with different cars. I've so far driven 2 FRS's, a 2019 Corolla Hatchback 6 speed, a 2020 Corolla sedan, a 2015 Corolla 6 speed, an IS300, a Civic Si, a Mazda Miata, and a few other cars.

However, today I went out and test drove a 2010 Corolla S 5 speed. It was the most beat up 10th gen Corolla I've seen. It was leaking oil, it was involved in a front end collision and repaired poorly (which the seller was trying to hide), it had rust bubbles from poor body repairs, it had a CEL, and instead of shifter bushings it just had washers that were keeping the shift cables from falling out.... and it was the best car I've test driven so far. Obviously I avoided this particular car but I loved driving a 10th gen again and I really want another one. I don't know why but I just felt good driving another manual 10th gen compared to the other cars I test drove.

So now I'm on the hunt for another 10th gen and hopefully I find one soon! :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,831 Posts
Keep the hope alive.

Been in a few accidents myself. It is a daunting task trying to find the right fit. When our 96 accord was stolen the first time, I thought it was gone for good. The cops found it, and I was able to get it back. I was okay with that. Until....it was stolen for the second time.

On the next theft, they crashed it. It wasn't too bad of damage. Just the hood was pushed back and minor bumper damage. At that point in time, I told the wife, I didn't want it.

In the end, we sold it and moved on.

It's hard to move on from a car that you put sweat and blood into. But, at the same time, it's even harder when it's a total loss.

You'll find another. Keep it up!

·
Registered
209 Posts
May I ask what it is you find special about the 10th gen Corolla manual over the other generations and other cars?

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Pontiac Vibe
3,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
May I ask what it is you find special about the 10th gen Corolla manual over the other generations and other cars?

Comparing a 5 speed 10th gen to the other generations of Corollas, the 9th gen with a 5 speed are really similar but the 10th gen's main advantage at least for me is that they do not rust like the 9th gen. All of the 9th gens I've looked at (2003-2006ish) had rusted quarterpanels or rusted rockers. Some 07 and 08's didn't have them as bad but I could see the rust starting however 10th gens and newer just don't rust like that anymore. Even the really beat up 10th gens I've seen just don't rust there. I believe the 2009-present Corolla's go through some special coating when they are built which prevents major rust from forming at the typical spots. The 9th gen XRS with the 2ZZ is a really attractive car but having to use premium gas strayed me away from that as well. Plus, they are rare to find here and the cheaper ones are all beat up. I'd also like an 03-04 9th gen with the cable throttle but those have the notorious C59 input shaft bearing failures. For the 11th gens, I do like them as well but I like the size of the 10th gen more because at least to me, the 11th gens got a lot bigger and feel more like a Camry. Also, getting a 6 speed in an 11th gen CE (base model) in Canada means I'd have to do without A/C unless I find a rare 2015 model which was the only year where CE's came with A/C combined with a 6 speed manual. As for the 12th gen, they are nice as well but I'm not too into all of the electronics in them and they are also expensive since...well, they are basically brand new cars.

These are just my opinions and this doesn't mean I don't like any of the other generations of Corolla's but as of right now, the 10th gen fits all my needs perfectly. :) In the future, I can definitely see myself owning other generations.

Darn, sorry to see its demise. Come to the US and buy my 09 XRS, I'm ready to move on from it lol.
lol if I had someone who could bring me down there, I might have just done so!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,703 Posts
Comparing a 5 speed 10th gen to the other generations of Corollas, the 9th gen with a 5 speed are really similar but the 10th gen's main advantage at least for me is that they do not rust like the 9th gen. All of the 9th gens I've looked at (2003-2006ish) had rusted quarterpanels or rusted rockers. Some 07 and 08's didn't have them as bad but I could see the rust starting however 10th gens and newer just don't rust like that anymore. Even the really beat up 10th gens I've seen just don't rust there. I believe the 2009-present Corolla's go through some special coating when they are built which prevents major rust from forming at the typical spots. The 9th gen XRS with the 2ZZ is a really attractive car but having to use premium gas strayed me away from that as well. Plus, they are rare to find here and the cheaper ones are all beat up. I'd also like an 03-04 9th gen with the cable throttle but those have the notorious C59 input shaft bearing failures. For the 11th gens, I do like them as well but I like the size of the 10th gen more because at least to me, the 11th gens got a lot bigger and feel more like a Camry. Also, getting a 6 speed in an 11th gen CE (base model) in Canada means I'd have to do without A/C unless I find a rare 2015 model which was the only year where CE's came with A/C combined with a 6 speed manual. As for the 12th gen, they are nice as well but I'm not too into all of the electronics in them and they are also expensive since...well, they are basically brand new cars.

These are just my opinions and this doesn't mean I don't like any of the other generations of Corolla's but as of right now, the 10th gen fits all my needs perfectly. :) In the future, I can definitely see myself owning other generations.

lol if I had someone who could bring me down there, I might have just done so!
I've never experienced the rust issues on any Gen of Corolla but I do love my manual 10th Gen Corolla S. I love the size of the car and the feel of it after making it my own with my mods to it. I also agree with the larger size of the 11th Gen, not a fan. That being said that's why I love my 11th Gen Corolla iM with a 6-speed manual. The iM feels smaller than the sedan and I love the IRS.

Just an FYI, you could take an airplane just about anywhere if you want to buy a car elsewhere! haha ;)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts