Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as some of you know, my 2011 Corolla got written off thanks to a semi truck that crashed into the side of it on the highway so it was time to look for another car. After a lot of searching, I came across this 2009 Corolla CE for sale. It's a 5 speed manual with the "Enhanced Convenience Package" and it's in Classic Silver Metallic. It's a 1 owner car with no accidents on it with about 189k kms on it. The major components were all in good shape and with the frame being straight, I couldn't pass it up. In the end, I got it for $3k CAD and I even got to take all of the service records and the original bill of sale. :D

I'm pretty happy with it and I've already gotten my temporary sticker. The engine and transmission are in great shape and the clutch seems to be in good condition as well. There are a few things that I need to fix on it though:
  • the windshield is cracked
  • there is a minor exhaust leak near the catalytic converter
  • the old owner ran the washer fluid dry and burned out the washer fluid pump
  • the driver's seat belt buckle is missing it's stopper
  • the right front fender liner is missing due to a tire blowout
  • thanks to the tire blowout, it took some paint off the passenger fender and the passenger door which now has surface rust on it and the headlight brackets are broken
  • the trunk won't close unless it's slammed shut
  • the front bumper has the typical crack on the bottom
  • I received two keys with my car :) but one of them is bent :(
So most of those are just me nitpicking minor problems but the main things I have to address to get my car to pass the safety inspection are the windshield, the exhaust leak, and the washer pump. Other than that, this car is in MUCH better shape than my previous Corolla despite being 2 years older.

So far, I've already gotten the windshield replaced with an aftermarket one for cheap:

I also bought a seatbelt stopper from Canadian Tire and put that in so that my buckle doesn't fall all the way to floor:

I've got a friend's shop that will be helping me with the exhaust leak since it's way too cold to take apart the exhaust in my driveway right now. I've also ordered a new washer fluid pump and replacement key. Once I get those sorted out, I'll start swapping some of the parts from my previous Corolla into my new one. Modifications wise for now, I've just taken off the hubcaps lol.

I can't wait for what's to come with this car!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,870 Posts
Very nice! I've got a D-style one piece lip that would look great on your car. Too bad you don't live closer.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,611 Posts
Welcome back with a newer ride!

Yes, the little stuff, well is little stuff. She's a good running car so should get you where you need to go. Heck, no bandaid this time on the front bumper. Lol.

Nice to see you found a worthy replacement!

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice price. You bought from private party ? how ?
Yeah, I bought it from the original owner himself. Him and his wife owned it since new and they now needed a bigger vehicle for their kids so that's why they were selling it. I'm pretty happy with how much I payed for her!
Very nice! I've got a D-style one piece lip that would look great on your car. Too bad you don't live closer.
I was actually looking at some body kits for my Corolla just now and the K style lip looks really nice! I forgot how the D style lip looks though but I was thinking of a K style front lip with the K style rear diffuser and the S/XRS side skirts. Maybe even a roof spoiler as well but I'd like to for sure do some more aesthetic mods this time around! However one of the first things I need to do is lower it.
Welcome back with a newer ride!

Yes, the little stuff, well is little stuff. She's a good running car so should get you where you need to go. Heck, no bandaid this time on the front bumper. Lol.

Nice to see you found a worthy replacement!
LOL very true! :ROFLMAO: I also don't have paint chipping off my drivers door or smashed in quarter panels anymore. Aside from aesthetics, the power windows on my new car are so much more convenient but I do kind of miss the manual windows on my old Corolla. It was odd but cool having that on a modern car!

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,870 Posts
Yeah, I bought it from the original owner himself. Him and his wife owned it since new and they now needed a bigger vehicle for their kids so that's why they were selling it. I'm pretty happy with how much I payed for her!

I was actually looking at some body kits for my Corolla just now and the K style lip looks really nice! I forgot how the D style lip looks though but I was thinking of a K style front lip with the K style rear diffuser and the S/XRS side skirts. Maybe even a roof spoiler as well but I'd like to for sure do some more aesthetic mods this time around! However one of the first things I need to do is lower it.

LOL very true! :ROFLMAO: I also don't have paint chipping off my drivers door or smashed in quarter panels anymore. Aside from aesthetics, the power windows on my new car are so much more convenient but I do kind of miss the manual windows on my old Corolla. It was odd but cool having that on a modern car!
Turning lemons into lemonade!! Looking forward to seeing the changes. How about joining the turbo party down the road? :cool::p

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turning lemons into lemonade!! Looking forward to seeing the changes. How about joining the turbo party down the road? :cool::p
A turbocharged Corolla is something that I want to have eventually but probably not with this car (maybe I'll get a XRS later on and boost that :sneaky:). My plan for this car though is to build it to be a high performing and high revving N/A car. So in other words, make it a 2ZZ lol. It's either I do that or just swap a 2ZZ in but I want to see what N/A potential the 2ZR really has first since no one else has really built a N/A 2ZR yet. However, first I'm going to upgrade the suspension and make it handle really well before I start adding power.

So I've checked a few things off of my initial list of problems that need to be fixed on this car:
  • the windshield is cracked ✅
  • there is a minor exhaust leak near the catalytic converter ✅
  • the old owner ran the washer fluid dry and burned out the washer fluid pump ✅(ordered)
  • the driver's seat belt buckle is missing it's stopper ✅
  • the right front fender liner is missing due to a tire blowout ✅(ordered)
  • thanks to the tire blowout, it took some paint off the passenger fender and the passenger door which now has surface rust on it and the headlight brackets are broken
  • I received two keys with my car :) but one of them is bent :( ✅(ordered)
I brought my car to my friend's shop today where we checked out where the leak was coming from. The seller told me that one of the spring bolts that connect the cat to the exhaust manifold had snapped off which caused the leak. That was true but it seems that something had hit the exhaust pipe which ended up damaging a part of the cat as well. It could have been repaired but instead, my friend offered to just cut and weld in an aftermarket cat for the same cost as repairing the old one plus, we put in a new gasket and all new spring bolts.

Now my Corolla's exhaust sounds stock again which is good...but it's too quiet lol. I've also ordered a washer fluid pump from Amazon as well as a new key blade to replace my bent one. A new fender liner from the dealer would be $170 so instead, I found one online for $60 and ordered that. I did however buy a paintpen from the dealer. Now I need to do an oil change as well as install those parts once they arrive. I'm still into this car for wayyyyy less than I initially thought! 👍

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,870 Posts
A turbocharged Corolla is something that I want to have eventually but probably not with this car (maybe I'll get a XRS later on and boost that :sneaky:). My plan for this car though is to build it to be a high performing and high revving N/A car. So in other words, make it a 2ZZ lol. It's either I do that or just swap a 2ZZ in but I want to see what N/A potential the 2ZR really has first since no one else has really built a N/A 2ZR yet. However, first I'm going to upgrade the suspension and make it handle really well before I start adding power.

So I've checked a few things off of my initial list of problems that need to be fixed on this car:
  • the windshield is cracked ✅
  • there is a minor exhaust leak near the catalytic converter ✅
  • the old owner ran the washer fluid dry and burned out the washer fluid pump ✅(ordered)
  • the driver's seat belt buckle is missing it's stopper ✅
  • the right front fender liner is missing due to a tire blowout ✅(ordered)
  • I received two keys with my car :) but one of them is bent :( ✅(ordered)
This is exactly what I did first. I made it handle so good that I finally needed more power. It pretty perfect now with the turbo installed. Looks like you have a good start on the car. There are some good parts at Monkey Racing to make it a more powerful, higher revving N/A.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The washer fluid pump that I ordered had arrived in the mail so since there was no fender liner, I decided to try and install it. When I took the old pump off though, a ton of muddy, black water came out.

There was also ice in the reservoir so instead of putting the new pump on, I took the entire reservoir out of the car to flush it out. That's when I found a hole on top of the reservoir where one of the mounting bolts goes through. It seems that when the tire blew out while the old owner had it, it damaged the reservoir and let water and dirt into it which caused the washer fluid pump to fail. I could order a new reservoir but since I still had the broken pieces, I instead used plastic weld to try and repair this one. After many flushes and cleaning the inside with mold killer and bleach, the plastic weld went on and it's now drying. Hopefully I did a good enough job to where it doesn't leak anymore.

I also did an oil change as it was way past due for the car. I got 5 liters of 0W-20 oil as well as a new filter and did the oil change. Thankfully, nothing was over tightened so the whole oil change was done quickly.

Everything seemed well aside from the old oil looking very black but I went to start the car after the oil change and it would just keep cranking without turning over.😐 I thought I had messed something up so I checked over everything and tried starting it again while giving it some throttle and it started very roughly with a puff of smoke out the exhaust. At first I thought the seals in the engine may be worn out and so the new oil was being burnt up but during the test drive, it did not burn any oil. The smoke that came out of the exhaust did smell odd. The next few days, the cold starts went from starting rough with some smoke to now where it starts better but still with some hesitation. I do notice though that my rpms at idle fluctuates. When I release the clutch after moving, it'll go down to 1k rpms then shoot up to 2k rpms then go back down again slowly so I have a feeling the throttle body and/or the MAF sensor may be dirty. I'm hoping this is also related to the rough start too. I'll probably clean them both first and maybe run some seafoam to clean out any dried up carbon in the engine. I've also checked the oil level and it hasn't gone down so I don't think it is consuming any oil but I'll still check to make sure.

Aside from that, the engine runs perfectly well and there are no CEL codes either.

Next, the battery that was in the car seemed to be the original Toyota battery and it needed to be changed since it was weak. I got a new one from PartSource and expected to swap it in 10 minutes. But that's where the negatives of having an all original car come in. The plus is I have a car that hasn't been tampered with however, every single nut and bolt hasn't been removed in 10 years so a 10 minute job now turns into an hour job. The battery terminals were all corroded and the metal was basically eaten away. I couldn't find any terminals for sale locally so I just decided to clean them in some baking soda and reuse them for now. The new battery did solve a few electrical gremlins that had been going on so that's good.

Before & after with the new Magnapower battery:

The fender liner that I had ordered arrived but then I realized that I needed some fender clips. I got a few from a Toyota dealer (for way too much money) and went to go and install it.

Much more better than before and in the spring, I'll get the rest of the clips that it needs such as the clips for the front bumper. For now, that screw is good enough lol!

Oh yeah, I also hit 190k kms in my car!

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And now comes the mods! :cool: Unfortunately though it's been really cold recently so the most that I did was swap in my lighting mods as well as some other small stuff.

LED Map Lights:

LED Dome Light (also, this car has an extra locking piece for the dome light that my 10.5 didn't have which I found interesting):

The extra two pieces that's not on the facelift models:

Reverse and License Plate LED's:

I also put in my yellow High Beam bulbs after I did the DRL delete on my car:

I really need to clean up the fog from those headlights...

Now that I'm caught up from the last few days, here's a random picture I took of my Corolla! :D

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,611 Posts
The washer fluid pump that I ordered had arrived in the mail so since there was no fender liner, I decided to try and install it. When I took the old pump off though, a ton of muddy, black water came out.

There was also ice in the reservoir so instead of putting the new pump on, I took the entire reservoir out of the car to flush it out. That's when I found a hole on top of the reservoir where one of the mounting bolts goes through. It seems that when the tire blew out while the old owner had it, it damaged the reservoir and let water and dirt into it which caused the washer fluid pump to fail. I could order a new reservoir but since I still had the broken pieces, I instead used plastic weld to try and repair this one. After many flushes and cleaning the inside with mold killer and bleach, the plastic weld went on and it's now drying. Hopefully I did a good enough job to where it doesn't leak anymore.

I also did an oil change as it was way past due for the car. I got 5 liters of 0W-20 oil as well as a new filter and did the oil change. Thankfully, nothing was over tightened so the whole oil change was done quickly.

Everything seemed well aside from the old oil looking very black but I went to start the car after the oil change and it would just keep cranking without turning over.😐 I thought I had messed something up so I checked over everything and tried starting it again while giving it some throttle and it started very roughly with a puff of smoke out the exhaust. At first I thought the seals in the engine may be worn out and so the new oil was being burnt up but during the test drive, it did not burn any oil. The smoke that came out of the exhaust did smell odd. The next few days, the cold starts went from starting rough with some smoke to now where it starts better but still with some hesitation. I do notice though that my rpms at idle fluctuates. When I release the clutch after moving, it'll go down to 1k rpms then shoot up to 2k rpms then go back down again slowly so I have a feeling the throttle body and/or the MAF sensor may be dirty. I'm hoping this is also related to the rough start too. I'll probably clean them both first and maybe run some seafoam to clean out any dried up carbon in the engine. I've also checked the oil level and it hasn't gone down so I don't think it is consuming any oil but I'll still check to make sure.

Aside from that, the engine runs perfectly well and there are no CEL codes either.

Next, the battery that was in the car seemed to be the original Toyota battery and it needed to be changed since it was weak. I got a new one from PartSource and expected to swap it in 10 minutes. But that's where the negatives of having an all original car come in. The plus is I have a car that hasn't been tampered with however, every single nut and bolt hasn't been removed in 10 years so a 10 minute job now turns into an hour job. The battery terminals were all corroded and the metal was basically eaten away. I couldn't find any terminals for sale locally so I just decided to clean them in some baking soda and reuse them for now. The new battery did solve a few electrical gremlins that had been going on so that's good.

Before & after with the new Magnapower battery:

The fender liner that I had ordered arrived but then I realized that I needed some fender clips. I got a few from a Toyota dealer (for way too much money) and went to go and install it.

Much more better than before and in the spring, I'll get the rest of the clips that it needs such as the clips for the front bumper. For now, that screw is good enough lol!

Oh yeah, I also hit 190k kms in my car!
You planning at some point to replace the rusty hose clamps around the engine bay?

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You planning at some point to replace the rusty hose clamps around the engine bay?
Eventually I will. I'd like to start now but it's way too cold outside to do it right now. In fact I still need to reinstall my washer fluid reservoir as well but the snow and freezing temps are forcing me not to do it lol. Once I get that done though, most of the main issues will be settled with on this car aside from a loud clunk when going over bumps which I think is a worn out strut or sway bar end link (I'll be upgrading both of those anyways in spring) and the rough start issue which I think is a dirty throttle body or dirty fuel injectors.

Despite the cold, I did cut and polish the foggy headlights while at work so I at least did something recently!

·
Registered
108 Posts
what is the 1237 on the left in the cluster?

Also, what would be the means to get the N/A 2zr to rev high like a 2zz? An ECU retune?
but, if you get it to rev high like this, wouldnt a turbo be cool :)

Concerning the crack front bumper, I suggest crazy glue! I had cracks in mine, got that glued with dolalrstore crazy glue, then sanded and repainted with duplicolor cans, the match was so good that i almost only sprayed the bad spots, but for a cleaner look i did the whole bumper in the end... (2-3 cans of basecoat may be needed, 2 is a bare minimum and I would have needed 3 with the dark grey primer, no white was available that day...)

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what is the 1237 on the left in the cluster?

Also, what would be the means to get the N/A 2zr to rev high like a 2zz? An ECU retune?
but, if you get it to rev high like this, wouldnt a turbo be cool :)

Concerning the crack front bumper, I suggest crazy glue! I had cracks in mine, got that glued with dolalrstore crazy glue, then sanded and repainted with duplicolor cans, the match was so good that i almost only sprayed the bad spots, but for a cleaner look i did the whole bumper in the end... (2-3 cans of basecoat may be needed, 2 is a bare minimum and I would have needed 3 with the dark grey primer, no white was available that day...)
That's the clock, as far as I know, 2009 models have the clock in the gauge cluster, 2010-2011 have it at the bottom of the center console, and the 2012-2013 have it on the top of the center console. As for upgrading the ZR, upgraded valve springs and retainers is a must for it to rev high as well as upgraded cams. If you're upgrading those, you might as well do some other stuff such as porting the head, lightweight crankshaft, etc. Then you'll need a tuned ECU or standalone engine management.

Yeah, I'm going to either crazy glue the crack or plastic weld it. I've looked closely at it and the crack hasn't made it all the way through so I just need to conjoin the tear then sand and paint it as you said. Then I'll be putting a lip on it! :D (still not sure if I want the K-style lip or the Accord CL1 lip).

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,611 Posts
Eventually I will. I'd like to start now but it's way too cold outside to do it right now. In fact I still need to reinstall my washer fluid reservoir as well but the snow and freezing temps are forcing me not to do it lol. Once I get that done though, most of the main issues will be settled with on this car aside from a loud clunk when going over bumps which I think is a worn out strut or sway bar end link (I'll be upgrading both of those anyways in spring) and the rough start issue which I think is a dirty throttle body or dirty fuel injectors.

Despite the cold, I did cut and polish the foggy headlights while at work so I at least did something recently!
Did you use the 3m kit? I used that on my 9th gen. Only to discover that you need 2 kits. The buffing pad had been covered from the previous side and the other side was still cloudy. Happy regardless.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,611 Posts
That's the clock, as far as I know, 2009 models have the clock in the gauge cluster, 2010-2011 have it at the bottom of the center console, and the 2012-2013 have it on the top of the center console. As for upgrading the ZR, upgraded valve springs and retainers is a must for it to rev high as well as upgraded cams. If you're upgrading those, you might as well do some other stuff such as porting the head, lightweight crankshaft, etc. Then you'll need a tuned ECU or standalone engine management.

Yeah, I'm going to either crazy glue the crack or plastic weld it. I've looked closely at it and the crack hasn't made it all the way through so I just need to conjoin the tear then sand and paint it as you said. Then I'll be putting a lip on it! :D (still not sure if I want the K-style lip or the Accord CL1 lip).
Here's an idea. Get the lip from a Camry se. I think it's 2009-2011. One member showed images of their buddy that cut the lip and it looks stock. Pretty clean too. I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Did you use the 3m kit? I used that on my 9th gen. Only to discover that you need 2 kits. The buffing pad had been covered from the previous side and the other side was still cloudy. Happy regardless.
I currently work as a detailer at a dealership so I just used some of the cutting compund that we have there then followed up with some sealant wax. It does a good job but I had better results when I used the Simoniz Kit that I bought for my old car and my mom's Corolla. This is how it came out on my mom's car:

Before:

After:

After using that kit, I applied sealer wax on my car and none on my moms car and the headlights stayed shiny on mine while on my moms car, the headlights are sort of fading again. So that's a must after using that kit.

Here's an idea. Get the lip from a Camry se. I think it's 2009-2011. One member showed images of their buddy that cut the lip and it looks stock. Pretty clean too. I'll see if I can find the thread.
And that's another lip that I'd like to have as well! I remember seeing that one guy do it in that thread but I can't find the pictures. He had to do a bit of trimming though but it came out great from what I remember.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,611 Posts
I tried searching in the pic thread, but couldn't find it. It's a big undertaking, but looks great!.

Unless you get your hands on the altis Corolla bumper.

Edit : I wouldn't mind trying that on my 9th gen, but the Camry front bumper for 2005-06 is designed similarly to the Corolla in which there's no middle section to make it 1 piece. Of course it's possible to fab, but that is a bigger undertaking than cutting it down.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts