Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
nice Xmas gift to yourself. I still wish you could come here to the US and buy my XRS
Is your xrs affected by the oil consumption issue on the 2az?

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
nice Xmas gift to yourself. I still wish you could come here to the US and buy my XRS
If you keep it for long enough, I may just come down there and buy it from you in the future! For now though, my Corolla is keeping me occupied lol!

So yet again, I've been quite busy but here are a few things that have happened since. I went ahead and took my front bumper off so that I could reinstall my washer fluid reservoir and washer fluid pump. While I was doing so, I also removed some parts of the stock intake to prep for when I go to install my Spectre SRI.

Before:

After:

This also gave me the chance to replace my blown side marker bulbs in the headlights so I took those off as well:

Thankfully the washer fluid pump worked and now I have working windshield washers! However, there are two problems. One is that the fluid stream is a bit weak which is probably due to dirt in the hoses but the other problem is that despite my fix, my washer fluid reservoir leaks when I fill it to the top. (n) My repair does stop dirt from entering the reservoir but I guess when I fill the reservoir above the broken section, the pressure builds up inside and causes it to leak. It's not too much of a worry for now since it still holds 90% of the fluid but I'll have to get a new reservoir online or at a junk yard and swap that in in the future.

Anyways, with that out of the way I bought some NGK iridium spark plugs for the car since it was about time for spark plugs for the car and on the day that I was going to install them...

I got a flat. I don't know how I managed to blow out two tires on two different cars in less than 6 months but at least this time, the tire didn't lose air until after I made it home and not while I was on the highway like last time. It technically wasn't even the tire that blew, the valve stem had a huge hole in it! So I put on my spare and brought my wheel to my shop to swap out the valve stem.

And as you can see, I swapped the rear wheel to the front so that I could put the spare on the rear for safety and this is when my next problem came up. The loud humming noise that I thought was a bad FL tire was still there even with the swapped wheel. And after doing a test, I think I may have a worn out wheel bearing...😑It still possibly could be a bad tire but while turning right, the sound gets louder and while turning left, the sound disappears. So that's another thing to fix.

After I got my repaired wheel back on, I swapped out the spark plugs. The old ones showed no signs of oil burning or overheating which is good. With the new ones in, the car runs much better and it actually started right away! I thought my starting problem was fixed... until it hesitated to start again this morning. I also recently got a CEL with a P0335 crank position sensor code. The symptoms do sound similar to mine so I may have to change that out next. I also took a look at the TB and it seems a bit dirty so a TB cleaning will need to be done as well.

Soooo now I've got quite a few repairs to do and it is frustrating since it's all happening at the same time but at the end of the day, it's an 11 year old (technically 12 since mine is an early build) car. Despite that though, I'm still driving it every day and none of these problems are preventing me from doing that so I can't really complain. Plus, there are some positive things that happened recently!

First off I used some rust converter on all of the surface rust due to paint chips and minor damages and then I touch up painted all of those spots so now there's no exposed bare metal on the body. I also installed my TRD shift knob which I should have done wayyyy sooner! Also, I found out that I can properly heel-toe downshift in this car! 😁In my old car, I could not do so on the stock pedals and I had to buy an adjustable Razo throttle pedal to heel toe in that car. But in this car, I can just do it naturally on the stock pedals! I don't know why but I'm guessing either I learned from doing it in my old car and now I'm able to do it on the stock pedals or the throttle pedal is different in this car for some reason. Either way, driving on back roads is so much more fun now!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Time to replace those old hoses running to the washer nozzles. Nozzles too. Depending if the PO used tap water, the calcium is evident at the nozzle and corrodes.

Try using jb weld to fix the crack in the resivouir.

·
10th Gen Addict
2009 Toyota Corolla
3,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Time to replace those old hoses running to the washer nozzles. Nozzles too. Depending if the PO used tap water, the calcium is evident at the nozzle and corrodes.

Try using jb weld to fix the crack in the resivouir.
Yeah, I'll most likely get some hoses and a nozzle from a car at a pick-n-pull yard and swap those in. The PO didn't actually put water in himself but he brought it to a Jiffy Lube and they were the ones who put water in. Also since the reservoir was broken, mud and rocks got in so that didn't help either. I also did use JB Weld and then I put tape over it to hide it but the leak still happens from the same spot.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
6,656 Posts
Guess the joint doesn't hold muster. Just replace it if you find one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
First off I used some rust converter on all of the surface rust due to paint chips and minor damages
What do rust converters do, they stop the rust from seeping, like, how do they call it : an anodiser? I might use that because I painted some minor rust and the result is rather bad after a couple months, not terrible but it still drips on the rest of the car from below the paint (at least it is just on the trunk, which might be an easy replacement if it ends up piercing it....)[/QUOTE]

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,888 Posts
What do rust converters do, they stop the rust from seeping, like, how do they call it : an anodiser? I might use that because I painted some minor rust and the result is rather bad after a couple months, not terrible but it still drips on the rest of the car from below the paint (at least it is just on the trunk, which might be an easy replacement if it ends up piercing it....)
[/QUOTE]
They chemically convert the rust to a hard, black finish. You can then sand and paint it and it stops the rust from spreading.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ahhh ok. I have chips from probably a bad/incompetent windshield change on my roof... definitely the place to try it,,,

21 - 30 of 30 Posts