Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and there was a lot of talk about a plastic box on the tacoma. What are they talking about. People seem to think the tacoma has a plastic bed.........do they come standard with a plastic bed liner or something or is the actual bed made of plastic. Sorry, I am a tundra owner, thinking about converting to a tacoma......

·
Powder Seeker
2007 Tacoma Double
275 Posts
The Tacoma has a composite box, the entire thing.

I love mine, I throw firewood from a few feet away and the box has yet to crack, dent, break.
Some say they have had problems, but for instance, it is -19C here today and I threw a large log from on top of the pile into the bed.

·
Registered
06 Tacoma Access SR5
462 Posts
Some complain about the strength of the bed. Granted it's not as strong as metal, but like Dcaplan, I've tossed tons of firewood/rocks in there without any issues.

There was just a thread about a guy's cleat breaking, causing his dirtbike to fall over and the foot peg cracked/punctured the bed, but even if he had a metal bed, the amount of weight/force focused on one spot probably whould have torn right through the metal anyway.

The composite bed is lighter than metal and will not rust out, which is a typical problem with metal beds. And unless your throwing cinder blocks from 5' away or dropping 2,000 lbs of rocks from a front end loader (typical truck commercial) then I don't foresee any problems. That's just me though.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
It's kinda like plastic mixed with fiberglass fibers. It saves a lot of weight and it won't rust. If you drill through it you will see that it has layers, like a fiberglass boat. I like the bed, and haven't had any problems. No need for a bedliner or spray on bed coating. But a rubber bed mat is nice to have to keep things from sliding around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.