Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Toyota 4x4
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 4x4 with 22re. When truck is warming up the idle will shoot up and down until it gets to normal running temp. It doesn't do it everytime it is very eratic. And I'am not sure what to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Jo/warn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get an answer to this question yet, or find it here on the site after searching further?

My '94 does the same kind of thing: Starts great, idles fast at first--as it should--then, until the engine is warm, the idle surges. Once warm, the idle is normal.

jazzbone

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Pickup
6 Posts
Surging Idle

I had the same thing on my 90' pickup. I thought it might be the O2 sensor but after some ohm meter testing found out that wasn't the problem. It ended up being the thermostat. My thermostat was stuck open and not letting the truck get to the correct running temp. Check the thermostat, its only a $10 part and a 10 minute job.

·
Registered
4 toyotas
1,045 Posts
#1--- check coolant level--- must be full

·
Registered
2 Posts
Surging Idle: Coolant Level and Thermostat

Thanks to both of you, Krusty and Salbertson.

Full Coolant: The coolant is full. I'd heard, since my original post, how important that was. It is full now, but the surging does continue. Thanks, though, for pointing this out.

Thermostat: This I wondered about. The engine starts normally, runs normally for a while--five minutes or so--then does its three to five minutes of surging before returning to the 750 normal idle. Would a bad thermostat act this way?

Thanks for your help with this.

·
Fixing 1 Piece at a Time
89 4x4 Pickup
121 Posts
Search

Hey Guys,
There's been lots of posts about this recently. Just do a search for surging idle.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts