Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I decided to change the struts on my 1993 corolla as I was getting a striking sound from the front right going over bumps. I went about this task pretty easily, until the end when something happened to the axle on the left side and the inner boot came open. I found this out when I went to test drive my new struts and couldn't go anywhere. I just finished changing that axle and got the car moving again. However, the play I felt on the left has now moved to the right. I changed both struts. Is there anything I'm overlooking? I know the car needs a tie rod on that side. After removing the spindle to do a wheel bearing a couple of weeks ago, the tie rod just sagged. However, I didn't remove it for this repair, only the ball joint on bottom.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Mr Mojo Risin'
1993 Corolla DX
579 Posts
You most likely need an alignment. Even though you didn't remove all of it (it being the suspenion) you removed enough to possibly throw the alignment off, a bad tie rod will only make that more noticeable

·
You asked for it...
427 Posts
I would tend to agree that it probably doesn't need an alignment, unless it already was off before you replaced the struts.

Can you describe the "play" you are feeling in a little more detail?

·
My actual picture
1995 Corolla DX
426 Posts
The first course of action would be to fix any and all known problems in the front end. Then see how things act.

Aside that, check -

ball joints, should be no play.
Sway bar bushings and those linkages, and of course you already know of a bad tie rod end.

Also, they often mention on here about a bad engine mount on the passenger side causing problems.

·
You asked for it...
427 Posts
I hope you have this fixed by now, but I here's another possible source for the noise - loose center nut on top of the strut (the big one under the hood.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.