Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the passenger side drive axle and rear motor mount (what a MAJOR pain to get the bearing out of the motor mount!). I ended up with a loose tie rod end which I plan on replacing. In looking at the various pieces and fittings (steering knuckle, tie rod ends, etc.) besides obvious slop what should be replaced? I also eventually need to replace the struts & springs all around and would like to get all of this out of the way at once.

It's a '92 LE with the 5SFE motor and auto trans. It has 156 K miles on it. The more I have worked on the care, the more I want to keep it and eventually drop a new motor in it (no V6, just a rebuilt 5SFE).

So I guess I would like to know the cost/benefit of replacing the wear components in the suspension. New sway bars would be nice when I do the struts, but that's about as extreme as I want to go. I've researched suspension upgrades and want to keeep it simple, but I do want and expect an improvement in ride/handling if I'm gonna drop over a grand on struts/springs/mounts on a 12 year old car.

Thanks.

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
make sure to get new sway bar links and strut mounts, those will make a good difference

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So someone tell me I am crazy for considering dropping a LOT of cash on new struts (Tokico), strut mounts, Eibach springs, whiteline sway bars plus whatever else like the sway bar links (as suggested) on a 13 year old car.....Will the improvement in handling be worth it? I know that's a subjective call, but I'd really like it to tighten up. My wife's 2000 Camry LE with the same basic drivetrain is my point of reference. Oh, I'll be needing new tires too.....:(

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Tokicos and eibachs are going to be performance orientated compared to some sensa-tracs on stock springs. It depends on what kind of ride you want. Also check your lower control arm bushings, sometimes the power steering pump will leak onto the bushings causing them to deteriorate.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
If you are down there, if you have high enough milage, the timing belt (and other acc belts) may be a good idea. Any rubber pieces that are crummy. Hydraulics hoses. Fluid changes all around.

I know the feeling, my car is developing a love for getting hoisted and stripped lately. The bitch.

My vote is for H&R/Tokicos + Whiteline Rear AntiSway.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so the cheap way would be stock springs and monroe's huh? plus the strut mounts....will still be over a grand, i'm afraid.....:mad:

and I'm a little leery of the eBay route....:confused:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
It won't be that much. You can get monroe sensatrac, or kybs for like 50-60 bucks each. The strut mounts and bearings comes out to like 160. Figure 3-4 hours labor-230. Total about 630 plus 60$ for alignment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
trdcamry2003 said:
It won't be that much. You can get monroe sensatrac, or kybs for like 50-60 bucks each. The strut mounts and bearings comes out to like 160. Figure 3-4 hours labor-230. Total about 630 plus 60$ for alignment.
What about springs? I am still running on the original struts so I would imagine that the springs have taken a beating.

Thanks.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The springs should be ok. Does the car sag at all? If you do get lowering springs I'd rec. some tokico struts instead of the monroes or kyb's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts