Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my car is starting to get to me here... Here's the problem, if i turn my wheels all the way to the right, like in a tight parking lot or somthin like that, i hear a thump, thump, thump noise coming from the right side front of the car. at first i thought it was the axle (boot had been torn for a while) anyway upon closer inpection i noticed the the balancing weight on the inside of the wheel looked like it had been rubbing something... i looked some more and found a spot on my tie rod that was shiny.... so here's the problem. My Right Front wheel is rubbing up against my right tie rod when i make a sharp right turn... wtf could cause this? i've never seen or heard anything like it b4. Any insight would be helpful, i REALLY DONT wanna go to the dealer... thanx in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) plenty of clearance... i dont know exactly what its supposed to be, but there's enough where its not rubbing...

2) yes, they're the stock 5-spoke style mag wheels (14")

3) last thing that was done was a halfshaft on the opposite side of the car... problem is on right, left axle was replaced

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've got what looks like about 1" on both sides, around 8 threads or so at the tie rod ends. The only thing I can think of, unless the steering arm is bent (unlikely), either the rods are not set up right or the problem is with the gear itself. For some reason it is oversteering to the right.

The question now is it understeering to the left and is the steering wheel straight when the wheels are?

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Bring your ride into an alignment shop.
Sounds like either its so far off or someone zinged a curb.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool, yeah i was prolly gonna start w/ that.... i noticed that the tire squeel a lil on turns (especially on hot pavement) thanx guys, i'll let ya know if the alignment fixes it (or makes it worse) :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
633 Posts
I had such a problem once and it was due to... I don't remember the word in English ("cardan" in French) The big central bolt on your wheel probably needs to be a bit more tightened

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah, the axle bolt? i'll have to check that, never thought of it, thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts