Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most recently, I hear a "thug" when I accelerate on the right side, or when I do a start-stop, I will hear the "thug."

Any idea what the issue is?

Once rolling, even on potholes, I do not hear the "thug."

I have a 95 2.2 and have 112K miles on it.

I had it up and I tried to check on the suspension and I could not see anything loose. Could this be the strut?

Comments, suggestions, welcome, please.

Thanks.

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil leak from suspension

Oil leak from suspension?

Please elaborate, I am seeing an on and off slight oil puddle most recently but I do not think it is coming from the suspension.

Thanks.

·
Lex Zues!
95 Camry
4,900 Posts
i think what camrypunk was saying was look under the boot on the strut and see if there is oil leaking if not, i would put $20 on the strut mount granted if nothing else was loose.

·
I'm a Mac
DD - 94 Mitsu 3000GT
4,062 Posts
is it oil or tranny fluid or something else? black/brown/red...?

could be anything from the strut, to the strut mount, to the CV joint/axle going bad.

check to see that the rubber boot on the axle is not ripped or leaking.

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil Leak

The CV boots are ok, they were replaced @ 100,000 miles early in the year. Oil from the struts, I will check on it.

·
deviate from the absolute
92 toyota camry
4,910 Posts
now there is incentive to do the suspension upgrade amigo.....:smile:

·
Registered
52 Posts
mandyfig said:
Most recently, I hear a "thug" when I accelerate on the right side, or when I do a start-stop, I will hear the "thug."

Any idea what the issue is?

Once rolling, even on potholes, I do not hear the "thug."

I have a 95 2.2 and have 112K miles on it.

I had it up and I tried to check on the suspension and I could not see anything loose. Could this be the strut?

Comments, suggestions, welcome, please.

Thanks.
Dude, if that "thug" happens only during accelerations and starts, and not when hitting bumps, that is a certain sign that it is not the suspension and that it is somewhere around the area of the transmission. I'd check the tranny, mounts and torque converter. At this point, I'll go out on a limb and guess you have a very worn or broken transmission mount.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Motor mounts! My 3.5, had a simular sound, I had the "dog leg" on top replaced first and it didn't help, It was the big one on the front of the motor, below the oil filter, Kinda looks like a rubber tank!

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check on the motor mount. It sounds like it's coming from the front right area. If it is the motor mount as you indicated, then it would sound near the center. Thanks and I will check it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree I have strut mounts problems and they don't happen when I acclerate, only when I go over bumps or washboard roads.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
mandyfig said:
I will check on the motor mount. It sounds like it's coming from the front right area. If it is the motor mount as you indicated, then it would sound near the center. Thanks and I will check it.
Mine, clunked on accelleration, the motor was shifting and hitting the inside of the hood, made a little impression on the insulation... check for that!...just trying to help!!

·
Breakin' necks since '02!
2,330 Posts
I have the SAME exact problem....just noticed it recently. I only hear it taking off from a dead stop or if I hit the gas. I also assume it's a motor mount...probably tranny or rear. I replaced my "dogbone" mount about 6 months ago and it already is starting to crack again which is a tell tale sign of other shot mounts.

·
Toyota-Lexus Fanatic
95 Camry LE
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced my dogbone beginning of the year @100,000 miles, I am on 112,000 miles now.

Gotta be the mounts.

Too darn cold to check on it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts