Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I put my new TRD rear sway bar on a couple weekends ago. The bar is designed for a Gen4, but "fit" on my Gen3 so long as I used the Gen3 brackets. I had no problems with it that day, but the next day I took it to an autocross. Now there is a rattle in the rear when I hit bumps. I removed the rear deck so that I could see the top of the strut, and when I hit a bump the top of the strut piston rod will actually move up and down. The nut is tightened as far as I can get it, but it somehow still moves when I hit bumps. I took it to the shop today, and they told me that it IS the RSB that is hitting the body when I hit bumps... my question is, why would the top of the strut move so much then? And if the RSB is the problem, why hasn't anyone else had the problem? I want to believe you guys when you said that the Gen4 RSB would fit the Gen3, so.... could it be the upper strut mount allowing it to move? Could it be the strut itself, which I know for a fact is blown, and it's just allowing the suspension to travel too much? Help guys, I really don't want to go back to the stock bar!

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
you need to replace the strut if its blown anyways ... too much travel may be the source of the banging around same thing is happening in my husband's integra...his right rear strut is blown and the suspension knocks around a bit.

Keri

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
same thing is happening on my gen 3. at birst i thought it was my body kit because me left rear side was hangin off. i thought it was bouncing. but now with the stock bumper back on it still does it. i havent had time to look at the suspension though so see if anything is loose. i'll be lookin in the nexr week or two. let us know what you do to solve your problem.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ripley's99 said:
you need to replace the strut if its blown anyways ... too much travel may be the source of the banging around same thing is happening in my husband's integra...his right rear strut is blown and the suspension knocks around a bit.

Keri
Right, I just need to figure out if that's first priority... if theres a possibility that it could fix the rattling, then I guess that would be the first thing to try, eh? Think I should replace the mount at the same time? 1993 w/173k miles.

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
674 Posts
if it was me i would replace the mount as well...but if its not anything loose in your endlinks, check all the bushings...then its most likely that blown strut that's the noisemaker.

Keri

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oy... my poor wallet :lol:

Luckily Bilstein does have the rear struts (full assemblys) in stock :D So I think I'm gonna have to hit them up... hopefully I'll have em in before next weekend.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Its the strut. With no damping, it's not slowing down your rear wheel assembly on the compression. Worst case is it will bottom out, maybe doing even more damage.
Don't know about your bushings but if you are going to have it all out, kind of makes sense to do it then. Also, your tires are wearing weird right now, so take care of it as soon you can.

·
Registered
79 Posts
nort0188 said:
So I put my new TRD rear sway bar on a couple weekends ago. The bar is designed for a Gen4, but "fit" on my Gen3 so long as I used the Gen3 brackets. I had no problems with it that day, but the next day I took it to an autocross. Now there is a rattle in the rear when I hit bumps. I removed the rear deck so that I could see the top of the strut, and when I hit a bump the top of the strut piston rod will actually move up and down. The nut is tightened as far as I can get it, but it somehow still moves when I hit bumps. I took it to the shop today, and they told me that it IS the RSB that is hitting the body when I hit bumps... my question is, why would the top of the strut move so much then? And if the RSB is the problem, why hasn't anyone else had the problem? I want to believe you guys when you said that the Gen4 RSB would fit the Gen3, so.... could it be the upper strut mount allowing it to move? Could it be the strut itself, which I know for a fact is blown, and it's just allowing the suspension to travel too much? Help guys, I really don't want to go back to the stock bar!
did u ever figure out what the problem is??? my drivers ide front is doing that now :sosad:

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A year ago to the day... wow. Anyways, I replied to your PM ^^^ Looking back on it now, I wish I would have replaced the struts to see if that would have helped it, because I did replace both rear struts that summer anyways. At the time I wasn't planning on keeping the car very much longer, so I just sold the RSB and the problem went away. Now I'm still driving and autocrossing it a year later, wishing I had that handling back :sosad: Oh how I miss that slight hint of oversteer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.