Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1998 toyota camry
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have a 98 camry 4cyl, and this suspension keeps getting more and more expensive. i hear of people getting a new suspension done on their camrys for like $800. here is what i have so far and how the cost is adding up:

tokico HP blues: $350 (from ebay)
2 front, 2 rear strut mouts $180 (on ebay)
stock springs: $290
labor: $400
TOTAL: $1220

where am i going wrong? i don't want anything but stock springs because i don't want to lower my car. i live in atlanta, and the roads are bad and that just wouldn't be good. the suspension in my car now is in horrible shape. the back sags so much with no load that i cannot fit 2 fingers between the tire and fender. the camry has 154K miles on it. any suggestions from anyone would really be appreciated.

·
Quasi-Evil Monkey
957 Posts
Are the guys who are getting their suspensions for $800.00, are they doing their own labor?

That's a third of your cost right there.

I'd also look at other places besides ebay. I have seen other places offer pretty good deals online for shocks and struts. Sometimes you can get great deals on ebay, and sometimes you can get just as easily screwed over, too.

·
That One Guy...
2001 Camry XLE
922 Posts
stock springs too.. $290 is way way too much for springs. Consider you can get eibach for less then that. Or teins, or H&R... or any brand for that matter so that'll save you alot.

Also you could think about doing it yourself, as its not really as difficult as you may think. You could also settle for KYB's instead of Tokicos... you do realize those are practically racing struts right? So if your using this for a daily driver, thats probably not a smart move.

The mounts seem like a decent price though.

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
I did mine for $600....

Tokico Blues - $400
Eibach Pro Kit - $100
Whiteline RSB - $100

All parts bought brand new.

·
Registered
376 Posts
nothing you have on your list is wrong except that the stock springs should not be that much. my intrax lowering springs were a little over 200$ so stock springs should be less than that.

it is not hard to do the swap yourself. as long as you have all the tools, it will take you one weekend. and u save 400$ =]

another reason might be because you chose to get new strut mounts. (which is good that ur replacing them as well)

good luck.

·
TN's Nikon Expert?
12,670 Posts
personally i woudlnt buy my strut mounts on ebay, they may be the wrong ones, or generic ones that dont fit proper. you can get them from the dealer for not too much more, plus theres no shipping, and you know it fits.

·
Registered
1998 toyota camry
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when initially i went to the toyota dealer to get a price on springs, they said they were around $35 each, so about $140+tax. that's not too bad, and that's what i've been budgeting for. a friend of mine called toyota for me and he said that the springs were $290 total, so i don't know what's up with that. i don't think i'm skilled enough to do the suspension myself! i want a firm ride, and i DO NOT want to lower my car because it causes a lot of problems. i spend a lot of time in the car just driving around. i've already bought tokicos and have them, and the strut mounts are on the way.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Camry
59 Posts
What are you carrying around in your trunk? I had almost 200K on my stock suspension(struts and all) with no sagging before i went to my new suspension set up. Your springs shouldn't be sagging like that. In fact you shouldn't need to change springs @ all if you want keep the stock ride height. Maybe they are defective.

·
Registered
1998 toyota camry
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i don't carry around anything! it's usually empty. i'm going to record a video this weekend of my suspension to show how bouncy it is. if i have the trunk up and i sit down in the trunk, the car lowers its rear about 3-4"... and i only weigh 150lbs. you can "bounce" the back of the car like a basketball almost, it's so floaty. the front isn't quite as bad, but it still is bouncy. driving the "boat" (as my friends call it) requires a lot of concentration, and my tire wear is uneven. pretty much my cam has all of the signs of needing a new suspension+alignment. i will post a video soon.

·
Registered
376 Posts
oh hey. i remember you from last year lol didn't i talk to u about suspension last year over aim ?

his stuff might be sagging cause hes in atlanta. the roads there really really suck. maybe its also the way he drives over the bumpy roads.

but yeah umm. i need to say this.
when u go over the bump. this happens: the spring absorbs most of the energy from the bump while a little goes to the shock. then as the spring ocilates, the shocks absorbs the rest of the energy thus dampening the movement.
since you have gotton tokico shocks, there will be a greater dampening force. thats great, it'll give u a stiffer ride. but you still have stock springs meaning that when you go over a bump, there will be too much energy transfered to the shock (the impact from the bump will be transfered to the spring but since the spring is soft, the spring will not store enough energy making the rest of the energy go to the shock and make the shock work overtime). and it will shorten the life of ur tokicos.

just to let you know what ur in for =]. but yeah atlanta roads suck >< so u can't lower...

'im waitin on my georgia tech admission decision. i hope i get in ~!! -crosses finger- lol

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
new struts should do you fine, no need for springs if you're not carrying junk in the trunk.
Bouncyness occurs when struts are worn/blown. Replacing struts in all of my family's past vehicles have solved problems of saging, bouncyness, and a good amount of body roll/pitch.

for that price you should ask a buddy to do it with you or for tools and instructions to do it yourself. you could get a decent pair of coilovers for such a price.
get mounts at stealership as others suggested. you probably dont need them though.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
i would just go with tokico blues, and some kind of sporty springs.

shocks dampen/absorb the "bounce", the spring absorbs the bump, the shock just slows it down-theoretically.
even the stock spring shold do ok, add some stoc, kyb, tokico...whatever...and you will be much stiffer than you are now.

i highly recommend WhiteRabbit's setup. somewhat common, but very good!

·
165 Posts
That's too much for Springs and Install, you should consider re-using stock springs and KYB GR-2 Struts.

Here's my rundown:
Tokico HPs: $300 Ebay, after Paypal cashback
Front Mounts (KYB part#): $80 Ebay, not KYB brand on box
Rear Mounts (KYB): $100 Tirerack
H&R Springs: $160
6 insulators, 4 bumpers: $120 (You might not need these)
Labor: $160 (Call around for estimates)
Total: $920, so less if you didn't get everything like I did.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I got my rear strut and mount replaced for around $200 each, which included labor. And around $300 for the fronts.

I paid around $700 to get the rears replaced, and the front passenger replaced with KYB struts and mounts.

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
ya know, if u just go buy a haynes manual u could remove the whole "labor" price. ive done all the suspension work on mine and although it takes a while the book explaines it well and 15 bucks beats the 150-300 bucks in labor costs. and u KNOW if it was done right.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
bigbird said:
ya know, if u just go buy a haynes manual u could remove the whole "labor" price. ive done all the suspension work on mine and although it takes a while the book explaines it well and 15 bucks beats the 150-300 bucks in labor costs. and u KNOW if it was done right.
I wouldnt have a problem replacing the front suspension since it's alot easier to get to. I looked in my Haynes manual but I dont see where it says how to do the rear suspension.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
Remember guy, you get what you pay for! Get TOYOTA strut mounts. I;ve had issues with others.

TireRack.com:

KYB GR2 Struts: $84+$84+$64+$64=$296
Eibach 1.2" springs: $220
Front TOYOTA OEM mounts: $55+$55 online: $110
Rear TOYOTA OEM mounts: $63+$63 online: $126 (Note, there is 2 types for the year,this is the cheaper one):

126+110+220+296=$725, for top quality + shipping (say $800). But the key is, top quality here.

·
Odaiba Romance
358 Posts
Only big difference in the rears is taking off the rear deck to get to the struts Geof. Nothing beats doing things yourself. Even if you make mistakes, at least you can learn from them. I have a 93' so my setup is a little different, but:

k-sport drop springs- $100
4 kyb struts- $190
installation- free

total after shipping to Hawaii

·
Registered
7 Posts
thenoeltyler said:
hey guys, i have a 98 camry 4cyl, and this suspension keeps getting more and more expensive. i hear of people getting a new suspension done on their camrys for like $800. here is what i have so far and how the cost is adding up:

tokico HP blues: $350 (from ebay)
2 front, 2 rear strut mouts $180 (on ebay)
stock springs: $290
labor: $400
TOTAL: $1220

where am i going wrong? i don't want anything but stock springs because i don't want to lower my car. i live in atlanta, and the roads are bad and that just wouldn't be good. the suspension in my car now is in horrible shape. the back sags so much with no load that i cannot fit 2 fingers between the tire and fender. the camry has 154K miles on it. any suggestions from anyone would really be appreciated.
thenoeltyler said:
when initially i went to the toyota dealer to get a price on springs, they said they were around $35 each, so about $140+tax. that's not too bad, and that's what i've been budgeting for. a friend of mine called toyota for me and he said that the springs were $290 total, so i don't know what's up with that. i don't think i'm skilled enough to do the suspension myself! i want a firm ride, and i DO NOT want to lower my car because it causes a lot of problems. i spend a lot of time in the car just driving around. i've already bought tokicos and have them, and the strut mounts are on the way.
I have a 2001 Camry with 33k miles. The stock suspension is so soft that my wife gets nauseated every time she rides in the car. I recently purchased the Tokico HP blues ($300 - eBay) and Eibach Pro Kit ($216 - Shox.com). I decided on the Eibachs since it is a well known brand, the drop is smaller than most at about 1.2" (less than what you apparently have now), and because from what I have read, everybody that has this setup in these forums seems to love it. I can't say if the Eibach drop would be a problem for you, but it seems like you would get better performance for a cheaper cost.

Assuming I like the Eibachs (I think I will) and you decide you want to stay stock, I would be willing to ship you my used springs (and struts if you want them) for $50 plus the shipping costs. Only issue is that I can't tell you for sure when I will be changing them out (hopefully before the end of the February).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts