Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there someone out there that knows all about the different spring rates and which stiffness is better for drag/street - i have no idea but would like to get my car to hookup a little better off the line because when i takeoff it jumps REALLY bad

Jeff

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Depends on if the car is FWD or not. Plus a compromise is always a compromise, you wouldnt want racing/dragracing springs to be run on the street, they ride like shit.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Hatch said:
Is there someone out there that knows all about the different spring rates and which stiffness is better for drag/street - i have no idea but would like to get my car to hookup a little better off the line because when i takeoff it jumps REALLY bad

Jeff
what car and how much are you willing to spend...

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
If you have a 3rd gen camry a good streetable setup for spring rates are 6 to 7 kg's in the front and 8 to 9 kg's in the back ... But I do suggest getting some short stroke shocks with this setup ... I wouldnt suggest going to Tokico's with these either ... This would be too stiff for the Tokico's to handle... I suggest spending the cash for the KONI red's... If not I can supply you with some short stroke Tokico Japan's , which are made for high kg's spring rates...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
If you have a 3rd gen camry a good streetable setup for spring rates are 6 to 7 kg's in the front and 8 to 9 kg's in the back ...
Heck no thats gonna be rock hard = sucks. Your car will bounce and lose contact with the ground making it actually slower.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Flashmn said:
Heck no thats gonna be rock hard = sucks. Your car will bounce and lose contact with the ground making it actually slower.
huh ???? hows that bro ...Thats acutually a perfect set up for our Camrys... Think about it I'm using 3Kg's all around in my little echo and that thing wieghts in at 2000lbs ...2235lbs with me in it... And the camry's weight in alittle over 3000lbs...

so how you figure, the kg's being too stiff... Man, if you look at the setup for Tein their spring rates on their GymKhana coilovers ... The MR2 =2700lbs = 8kg's in the front 14kg's in the back...

the setup I had on theWraith before was 9Kg's in the front 7KG's in the back and even then I still had too much squat on the car... The Tokico's I had blew out because it couldnt handle the spring rates...

Flashmn: have you played with your spring rates before ??? I have friends using 8kg's all around in there little AW11's that can out corner a bunch of high powered cars on that track...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Flashmn: have you played with your spring rates before ??? I have friends using 8kg's all around in there little AW11's that can out corner a bunch of high powered cars on that track...
I have about 1000USD invested on the suspension alone, I got bilstein sport shocks custom valved for my springs, I have espelir springs ordered from japan through Tom's (they didnt have a set out for my car at that time). So yes I have. But if you want a rock hard ride that'll make you lose your fillings go ahead, but it will actually make you slower on track than cars with suspension of reasonable spring rates. Get springs maybe 1kg-1.5kg stiffer than the original springs and then get shocks that have adjustable dampening or have stiff dampening. Your car wont be like driving a concrete block, but it will give you awesome cornering. Oh yeah, my consultant was a rally mechanic, who still thinks my suspension is bit on the "too stiff" side to his prefrences.

The Tokico's I had blew out because it couldnt handle the spring rates...
And you're bragging about this? I wouldnt :lol:

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Flashmn said:
I have about 1000USD invested on the suspension alone, I got bilstein sport shocks custom valved for my springs, I have espelir springs ordered from japan through Tom's (they didnt have a set out for my car at that time). So yes I have. But if you want a rock hard ride that'll make you lose your fillings go ahead, but it will actually make you slower on track than cars with suspension of reasonable spring rates. Get springs maybe 1kg-1.5kg stiffer than the original springs and then get shocks that have adjustable dampening or have stiff dampening. Your car wont be like driving a concrete block, but it will give you awesome cornering. Oh yeah, my consultant was a rally mechanic, who still thinks my suspension is bit on the "too stiff" side to his prefrences.

And you're bragging about this? I wouldnt :lol:
ok ... Its to each his own... I dont see anything about the CoilOvers, that I've stated... The Kg's on alot of performance oriented coilovers ( track use coilovers) are well above 8Kg's... So if you think thats rock hard; how do you explain that companies like K-Office, Tein, even Espelir have KG's that would rock your filling out. So explain that ...
You can run the stiff spring rates but you have to the shocks that goes with it ...

And as for me blowing out my shocks ... Thats because they were regular Tokico ( blues )upgrades for the Camry ... They werent even the HT's either... Plus, you dont even drive a Camry; how the hell are you telling me which is and which isnt a good setup for a car you've never even played with ...

As for my old setup... And before the setup even got installed on the car. I got the chance to talked to one of the Tech's at KONI and they were the ones that suggested that 9kg's in the front and 7kg's in the back was perfect for a car the size of the Camry, if I was to run their KONI Red's 4 way Adjustable shocks...

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
How much do these Koni Red's run? This is some very useful info:thumbup: Hell, I thought my Camry handled well with the Tokico Blues. I guess the Koni's should be even more badass:thumbup: I was thinking about doing something more to my Suspension anyway. I was thinking about getting an Air suspension but I'm on and off about wheter to get one

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
So if you think thats rock hard; how do you explain that companies like K-Office, Tein, even Espelir have KG's that would rock your filling out. So explain that ...
You sure you got the rates right? The ones for street are about 3-4kg.

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Flashmn said:
You sure you got the rates right? The ones for street are about 3-4kg.
sorry bro I thought we were talking track use here... Not street use...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Is there someone out there that knows all about the different spring rates and which stiffness is better for drag/street
were we now? As they say, assumption is the mother of all f0ckups;)

·
"I BUILD SLEEPERS"
2014 4Runner TEP
2,558 Posts
Flashmn said:
were we now? As they say, assumption is the mother of all f0ckups;)
Hey dude, whats up with this bullshit flaming ... How about a nice FU to you too ... he did say DRAG dumb ASS...

where in this thread have I flammed you ... So whats up with your offensive remarks ...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
and thats not offensive? :rolleyes:

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Rapeacivic said:
How much do these Koni Red's run?
How much money do the Koni's go for?

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Well.. konis arent that expensive, but the yellow ones are the sport ones. Get those... oh and one more thing, see if you can get weitec or KW coilover kits for your car, those are damn good. They do have the weitecs for corollas atleast.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok i'm not a racer but I have a body kit for my camry 95. What kind of springs would be good. I just don't want the car front lip to hit the ground coming of a curb or something but i also don't want a bouncy ride. Any suggestions. Oh yeah I'm a noob in suspensions :D

·
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
^
Then H&R springs are the way to go:thumbup: They provide a small drop(Rated 1.25 all around but my car dropped about 1.5 inches with the H&R's) and the ride with the H&R's and Tokico struts is still very comfy and the handling is badass:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.