Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving slow over the speed bumps noticed squeaking noise coming from rear end suspension. Anyone have this problem?

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,837 Posts
I didn't notice when I had my HL...will check tomorrow when I get it back. But there could be some more info to go on...

How many miles do you have?(maybe its just getting "flexed" in),
How many people/cargo in the car?
Was it in the early hours when you just started out? Was it cold?
Was it head on or at an angle?
etc

Its likley no one else has heard it, and can't relate?

·
Registered
2014 HL Hybrid Lmtd
237 Posts
Same problem also. When I brake hard or soft and the vehicle comes to a complete stop, I can hear the back suspension creak. When I am going to get my oil changed in the next couple of months I am going to ask them to look into it.

Only 3.5k miles on it.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,262 Posts
You guys need to say when squeaking 1st noticed. ;) Only have 200+mi. on mine, but so far no squeaks over speed bumps or elsewhere. But, HL sure takes bumps better than my truck. lol!

·
Registered
2014 HL Hybrid Lmtd
237 Posts
You guys need to say when squeaking 1st noticed. ;) Only have 200+mi. on mine, but so far no squeaks over speed bumps or elsewhere. But, HL sure takes bumps better than my truck. lol!
First noticed mine at 3.5K kms (2k miles), now have 6k kms (3.7k miles) on it and its still there.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
Be nice if everyone (squeak or no squeak) would post their date of manufacture and their mileage when first noting squeaking. Any other pertinent info too.... such as AWD or FWD, etc....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add me to the list. Same problem. Squeak from rear over speed bump. Can be fairly loud at times. Noticed in the last 4-5 days. Wonder if this is related to cold. The car is a 14 HL XLE AWD bought in Feb.

Anyone get this addressed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I managed to fix the squeek. It was actually a dumb thing. On August I had a blow out. I replaced the blown tire with the spare. When I took the truck to get a new tire, the guys didn't tighten the spare when the placed it back in its position. So every time I would hit a minor bump, the tire would move and make the noise. I just got the tools for the spare and tightened the spare in the storage place. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
Highlander 2014 limited
187 Posts
i have the same problem , i went to the dealer and i am scheduled to have both rear shock changed on wednesday.

will keep you guys informed.

my car have 4000 km, stated around the 3000 km mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rear suspension, 2014 Highlander

I definitely have the squeaky noise coming from the rear suspension when going over bumps or turning right at the bottom of a hill. Took to dealer today. The tech heard the noise. I left the car. They said they drove another 2014 Highlander and it was a normal noise. NO WAY. About 12,000 miles on it and I've noticed this problem for the last 2,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,262 Posts
Can only say mine @ 6K+ mi. NO squeaks so far. Recently in new (to me) shopping center I went over speed bump which turned out to be "higher" compared to others. Mighta gone over alittle faster than I normally do, but still only got a big clunk (not squeaky) sorta sound.

Ole saying.."Squeaky wheel gets the grease". Can be PIA, but keep taking back to dealer until squeak is fixed. Also get "r/o copy" each time showing your issue & what if anything done. Normal NOT!

FWIW...Have found suspension/body squeaks in past. Requires getting enuf wt. on either front or rear end so u can bounce it up/down. Get helper underneath listening etc. Sometimes I could bounce up/down myself, when not I called my good 300+ lb. buddy. :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 AWD XLE, purchased in March. We started noticing a squeak a couple of months ago. Grocery store speed, regular speed bump, there is definitely a "not normal" squeak or groan coming from the rear suspension. Sounds like a rusty spring - I want to go hit it with some WD-40!

Just took it in for the 15k service and asked them to look at it. They reported "makes same noise over bumps as like Highlander. Nothing abnormal heard at this time."

Well my wife and I hear it and it doesn't sound right!

Not sure what next step should be.

·
Registered
Highlander 2014 limited
187 Posts
i have the same problem , i went to the dealer and i am scheduled to have both rear shock changed on wednesday.

will keep you guys informed.

my car have 4000 km, stated around the 3000 km mark.
i went in, they changed both shock and it's still making that noise so they took a new highlander in the parking lot with 5 km on it and its doing the same squeak noise.

seriously comming from a 50k+$ car and toyota din't manage it when they test the car before production?

wonder if i call toyota directly it would change something.

·
*Just the Facts, Ma'm*
1,745 Posts
This is a major PROBLEM with TOYOTA...... if another vehicle exhibits the same noise/issue, they consider it normal.... instead of a model-line problem that needs fixed.

This is BS...... and this is why I say Toyota's Warranty is utterly useless in most cases.

Not to mention, if you have problems not getting an issue resolved with your local Toyota dealer.... what do you do? You have to drive an hour or better to find another one, unlike a domestic maker who may have 5 different dealerships in a 30 mile radius.

·
Registered
Highlander 2014 limited
187 Posts
well the dealer told me nothing they can do, it's toyota fault.

well i dont what to know who's fault is it i want it fix, thats what i told the dealer, told me call toyota canada.

next time when i will replace my HL , i wont even consider that brand i will go honda pilote.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts