Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
everywhere
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i would like to put some better suspension on my 1996 t100 sr5 auto. anyone have any opinions about air bagging the thing? my goal is to get a snow plow for it but i need better suspension. ideal please shoot em at me.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
I have the Roadmaster Active Suspension setup on my 1998 T-100 2WD and it works well fer my needs. :D

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
I don't have a plow... :(

My needs fer my T-100 are fer basically stability and active support in the rear when I'm loaded with gear. The Roadmaster Active Suspension does more than what an airbag system can do fer me. Although the RAS can't actively adjust up/down on the fly, it does keep the rear in check like a sway bar as well as handling heavy loads.

Were you thinking about putting airbags up front? ;)

·
Registered
-
120 Posts
if you do bags i'd do all four and hey bam did your ras raise your back end any cause my suspension is worn out and i just adjusted my torsion bars back to stock hight and it looks like i have a leveling kit on it lol

·
Registered
1998 Toyota T100 4WD
310 Posts
Probably your best bet would be to get some heavier duty, or thicker, torsion bars. Then you can always crank down on them as needed. As far as I know Sway-A-Way is the only company that makes for our trucks, although you can usually find a few custom machine shops that will sell them. Downey used too but I don't know what happened to them. Does anyone?? That was a good company.

·
Registered
everywhere
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would like to do everything i can to keep from breaking her but at the same time refraining from emptying my pockets. i like the idea of using both bags and the Roadmaster Active Suspension you are suggesting Bam. im afraid of blow outs when and if i take it off road for any reason. i would hate to be stuck in BFE and SOL.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
How many products offer a 30 day money back guarantee?
Roadmaster Active Suspension does! ;)

The Ultimate Suspension Upgrade
We are so convinced that you will be 100% satisfied with a Roadmaster Active Suspension installed on your vehicle, that we offer a 30 day money back guarantee.
I don't think any airbag setup will offer anything close to what the RAS does. :D

·
Registered
everywhere
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would anyone think there would be a consern of the body or frame snapping or bouncing around too violently while driving with the plow on?

·
dieselboy
96 t100 sr5 4by
39 Posts
its not a tacoma so you dont need to worry about the frame breaking. and bam quit trying to pimp that active suspension nobody wants it.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
its not a tacoma so you dont need to worry about the frame breaking. and bam quit trying to pimp that active suspension nobody wants it.
You know you want to give the RAS a try. You'd be hooked in no time flat... ;)

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
would anyone think there would be a consern of the body or frame snapping or bouncing around too violently while driving with the plow on?
I guess it all depends on how you drive the truck with the plow on. ;)

·
Registered
2006 Taco
468 Posts
I have airbags on my rear and they work well when the truck is heavily loaded. I just stop by the gas station and pump them up. Otherwise I just keep them with about 5 psi in them. I like them. I believe this is them!

http://www.suspensionconnection.com...e/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html

I do not think you can put airbags on the front :confused:

I have the air connections running out through my license plate. I can post some pictures of my setup if you want :)

·
Longtime Toyota Fan
6 Posts
I don't have a plow, but I changed from the regular front shocks to the ones made for the 1-ton T100 and that tightened the ride and handling up nicely. I hate a wallowing ride. I also jacked the front torsion bars up to where the frame was nearly touching the front bump stops to even out my ride height. You might look into the possibility of getting the 1-ton T100 front torsion bars if you still can't carry the weight at that point, but I would try the stronger shocks first.

·
1998 T100 SR5 2WD
14,675 Posts
You might look into the possibility of getting the 1-ton T100 front torsion bars if you still can't carry the weight at that point, but I would try the stronger shocks first.

Part numbers fer the 1-ton torsion bars are as follows...

48161-34020 (right), 48162-34020 (left)

Cross referencing this part number on www.toyotapartsales.com shows that this is the same torsion bar as the 2WD xtra cab T-100 (which only came in a 1/2 ton configuration).

The 1 ton T-100s were only produced from 1993-1995 in the 2WD regular cab only. Engine size was only the V6 (3.0 from 1993-94 and 3.4L in 1995). No SR5 trim packages were offered in the 1 ton configuration.

You can find the torsion bars on www.car-part.com fer cheap.

·
Longtime Toyota Fan
6 Posts
So my '96 Xtra Cab 2wd SR5 had the 1-ton torsion bars but only the half ton shocks? No wonder it felt under damped with the standard shocks. The 1-ton shocks had a larger bore diameter and a thicker rod but mounted up without any drama. It also helped solve the front end droop problem a little bit on its own.

·
Registered
everywhere
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess it all depends on how you drive the truck with the plow on. ;)
like a bat out of hell :D

ChipNOreo yea that is the set of airbags that i was thinking of getting.

sixshooter where did you find the 1-tons for your truck?

·
Longtime Toyota Fan
6 Posts
like a bat out of hell :D

ChipNOreo yea that is the set of airbags that i was thinking of getting.

sixshooter where did you find the 1-tons for your truck?
I just got them at the local parts store, Advance Auto Parts, but I'm sure whoever is your local parts house would be able to supply you similarly. They weren't uncommon shocks. They had them on the shelf.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts