Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 MR2 NA. I have recently decided to make it a project car since it hasn't been driven in years due to engine problems. I was wondering if it was possible or if anyone has converted a hardtop to a sunroof or t-top. I believe this would be hard to do if not possible at all. I just like how aggressive it looks rather than a plain hard top.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I have a 91 MR2 NA. I have recently decided to make it a project car since it hasn't been driven in years due to engine problems. I was wondering if it was possible or if anyone has converted a hardtop to a sunroof or t-top. I believe this would be hard to do if not possible at all. I just like how aggressive it looks rather than a plain hard top.
My bet is you will lose some structural integrity if you remove it. It probably is possible to do it but if you are gonna do a engine swap or something like that I think you would want that structural integrity. I also just prefer hard tops with no sun/moon roofs for simplicity and lower chance of leaks. Otherwise I would suggest maybe looking at a parts diagram and see if you are able to compare the hard top and the others. To me, this is a body shop thing... Just depends on how much you really want it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
My bet is you will lose some structural integrity if you remove it. It probably is possible to do it but if you are gonna do a engine swap or something like that I think you would want that structural integrity. I also just prefer hard tops with no sun/moon roofs for simplicity and lower chance of leaks. Otherwise I would suggest maybe looking at a parts diagram and see if you are able to compare the hard top and the others. To me, this is a body shop thing... Just depends on how much you really want it.
My 93' has the sunroof. No issues with it except I wish it wasn't there! That's just me. I grafted a rollback soft top from a 1967 VW on to my 67' years ago with a buddy who was a Porshe Body Man. Way more work than it's worth and I had the luxuary of working with a pro. We took out the glass and cut the entire roof off at the pillars. Thing is an MR2 roof-line is much more complicated. There are companies that will install a sunroof on most anything but I'd put the money in HP vs. a hole in my roof!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
My 93' has the sunroof. No issues with it except I wish it wasn't there! That's just me. I grafted a rollback soft top from a 1967 VW on to my 67' years ago with a buddy who was a Porshe Body Man. Way more work than it's worth and I had the luxuary of working with a pro. We took out the glass and cut the entire roof off at the pillars. Thing is an MR2 roof-line is much more complicated. There are companies that will install a sunroof on most anything but I'd put the money in HP vs. a hole in my roof!
I learned when I worked on cars that less is more because less things are likely to break. Hence I love my 08 Camry for not having a key fob or power seats.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe sell it to someone who wants a track car, and then buy a t-top car? You would get a properly designed, oem quality roof removable roof and they get the hardtop which is more desirable for a performance application.

Unless that car holds some sentimental value for you this would save a ton of work and come out better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts