Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just sold my honda prelude and looking for a new car...got my eyes on a black sw20.
does anyone know if the k20 motor will fit in a aw11 or sw20 engine bay? or can someone send me a pic of their engine bay with some sort of reference(like a ruler next to it).
i got this idea from the lotus exige with a k20a motor from honda(thing has like 260whp na).

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never seen it done, or heard of it, but you have to keep in mind, this is a Toyota board, and most MR2 purists would tell you that the 3S-GTE is the best powerplant for our cars...

You might get flamed for your idea... good luck

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
is the sw20 ur looking at a turbo or NA??.....as Lachean has pointed out....the turbo motor (3SGTE) has enough power potential given the right amount of money and tuning....good luck and keep us posted on ur decision....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
the sw20 is na 2.2 liter i think. i prefer na after driving a few turboed cars. the engine response wasnt as good, but ive got to admit its pretty fast. ill see what happens.

can anyone post a pic of a dyno sheet for a turbo 3s-gte with around 300whp?

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
I don't know why you would want to use a honda motor. With the 3sgte, boost controller, intake, and a full exhaust, you can run in the 13's. That's fast for a street car (stock V8 Mustangs run in the 15's).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im not interested in drag racing...the reason for the honda motor is it can make 260whp na with minor mods(ecu tweak, exhaust and header).

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
K2e2vin said:
im not interested in drag racing...the reason for the honda motor is it can make 260whp na with minor mods(ecu tweak, exhaust and header).
minor mods??...are u kidding....more like major work to me....u'd still have to run a built motor...balanced.....high compression and high revving to make that kind of power.....simple bolt ons will not get 60+ hp to the wheels on any b series motor....

·
Registered
1991 MR2 turbo
69 Posts
What you need to get about 250RWHP/ 300HP with the 3sgte (stock turbo):

-intake
-turbo back exhaust (2.5" minimun)
-boost controller (fcd needed for above 12 psi)
-proper S-AFC tuning
-intercooler or water injection or both

Whether your into drag racing or not, I simply was giving you an example of how fast the MR2 can be with very little mods. I also own a Greddy turboed Civic HB. After thousands of dollars in mods, it is still slower and handles nothing like my MR2 (not to mention going through 3 motors in one year). But all that is listed is just my experience.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not a b-series motor. k20a motor. its like 220hp at the crank stock(type -r). here is a pic of a dyno of the k20a with just a remapped ecu: http://www.prototyperacing.com/graph3b.gif
later they made about 250whp with just new header.

yea i understand about hondas that are slow after mods. i used to have a prelude with a turbo kit(running 8psi). turbo FF cars dont handle as well as NA ones b/c you cant step on it on turns.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
ur thinking is a lil over the top for most of us to understand because alot of us are firm believers in the 3SGTE and its power potential....for the costs involved of making a frankenstien MR2 wouldn't make much sense unless u had tons of money to burn....

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
7,128 Posts
the 3sgte is sorta like the equivalent of the B18...

just more powerful..;)

it's a turbo 2.0 liter with 200 hp/lb. ft. of torque...

later (non-us) versions came with up to 240 hp...

if you want to keep it NA, look into the (rare) Beams 3S-GE...

has the same power as the 3S-GTE and is NA...

and the V6 that is "usually" swapped into the MR2 is the 1MZ-FE found in the Camry, Solara, ES300, etc.

no matter what you do...

dont put honda parts in Toyotas... :disappoin

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
its not a fair comparision to compare a NA motor vs turbo.....if i had to choose between a stock ITR and a stock turbo mr2...it would be a tough call....in terms of driveability and fun factor its hard not to lean towards an ITR....out of the box these are great cars to drive.....its pretty much track ready from the factory....but add some $$$ into the equation for mods and of course hands down i'd choose the mr2 because with simple mods it'll outrun the ITR any day of the week and just looks a hundred times better too....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well im familiar with hondas. i thought about getting a integra before but...its still a FF car(fast car but still understeers, espically if you have supercharger or turbo). the mr2 has a better layout, except for the struts.
i tried to search for some info on the beams 3s but couldnt really find anything.
i dont really care about the no honda/toyota hybrid thing. if it will make my car faster, i will use it.
btw does anyone know how light you can get the mr2? looking at the specs it seems kinda heavy(i was hoping it weighs the same as the prelude).

·
I do NOT exist ...
167 Posts
go to JekylandHyde's website, i believe he has his weight reduction program for Hyde on there, if not, then there is a thread on www.mr2oc.com in which he detailed it. i can link it for you if you wish.

weight reduction is a good plan, but i still say that you can build a 5SGE and be very, very happy with the performance it would give to you and in terms of cost, i'm sure it can't be MORE than some of the other suggestions - and i'm pretty sure it's less than the Toyota-Honda hybrid thing.

just my 2 revs ... :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks guys. i found the article you were talking about. pretty good.

if i can find a beams 3sge i will probally go for that; i saw some for sale for like 3g's i think, which would give me some money for higher compression pistons and a ecu for the price of the stock k20a swap.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts