Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you swap the engine in 1990 4runner V6 automatic, with a 1994 toyota pickup V6 manual transmission? The 4runner has an engine knock, thrown rod. I need a truck that can tow a trailer and the pickup has been rear ended, the bed is crunched and the frame is slightly bent.

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
You can swap the engines easy enough, it doesn't really know what trans it's bolted to. There may be some slight differences with connections, etc, between the two that may have to be dealt with.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did this before, except the other way around.. I helped my Dad put a V6 Runner engine into his V6 pickup, it pretty much dropped right in, although we had an auto engine going into a standard trans pickup, so we had to remove the flywheel and put a clutch on instead.

Make sure you take lots of pictures when removing all the various hoses on the left hand side, there's about 10 small tubes which can be very easily mixed up if not careful.

Edit:
We also had to remove the wiring harness off the blown engine, because the two were not the identical match, that was probably the most time consuming part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts