Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bolt in swap? I just bought a 90 with a bad 2.0 motor and rebuilt transmission and I found a 92 2.2 with a good motor but bad transmission. I need to know if everything will swap to the 90 car.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
Use the complete 5s-fe long block, but the 3s-fe manifolds and electronics. It should all just work since it is an early 5s-fe (the later distributorless ones might require some changes). You should even pick up a few extra horsepower with the new motor. :)

-Charlie

·
Registered
1991 Camry
111 Posts
Use the complete 5s-fe long block, but the 3s-fe manifolds and electronics. It should all just work since it is an early 5s-fe (the later distributorless ones might require some changes). You should even pick up a few extra horsepower with the new motor. :)

-Charlie
so you are basically saying that you can drop in a 5sfe and use 3sfe intake manifolds and electronics?

·
Registered
1991 Camry
111 Posts
yes the 5sfe is basicly a stroked 3sfe... as long as you reuse the head it should be ok
I dont know if I'm getting this correctly. Long block means the the block and the head right? So 5sfe block and internals + 5sfe head + 3sfe intake and electronics would work? Or is it a frankesteined 5sfe block and internals with a 3sfe head and electronics, etc.?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thats what I was hoping. Both cars are complete. The 90 has a 3sfe with 15K miles on a rebuilt long block and rebuilt auto trans. The radiator blew and it overheated and caused a head gasket leak. The previous owner let it sit in his driveway for almost a year with water in the middle two cylinders before he decided to sell it. Now the motor is locked up. I bought it for $200.Yesterday I found a really cheap car with a running 92 5sfe and a bad auto trans. I wanted to just drop the complete 5sfe in the place of the 3sfe. But if I have to reuse the intake and electronics off the 3sfe, thats ok to. Another option is to use the rebuilt head,intake & exhaust manifolds from the 3sfe on the 5sfe block.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
so you are basically saying that you can drop in a 5sfe and use 3sfe intake manifolds and electronics?
Yes, it all bolts up just fine.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
yes the 5sfe is basicly a stroked 3sfe... as long as you reuse the head it should be ok
No need to use the 3s-fe head. That would be just as much work as fixing the 3s-fe alone. You just need to use all 3s-fe external parts (intake, exhaust, electronics, etc.). It is the only really easy swap you can do in these cars.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
Thats what I was hoping. Both cars are complete. The 90 has a 3sfe with 15K miles on a rebuilt long block and rebuilt auto trans. The radiator blew and it overheated and caused a head gasket leak. The previous owner let it sit in his driveway for almost a year with water in the middle two cylinders before he decided to sell it. Now the motor is locked up. I bought it for $200.Yesterday I found a really cheap car with a running 92 5sfe and a bad auto trans. I wanted to just drop the complete 5sfe in the place of the 3sfe. But if I have to reuse the intake and electronics off the 3sfe, thats ok to. Another option is to use the rebuilt head,intake & exhaust manifolds from the 3sfe on the 5sfe block.
Don't mix and match 3s-fe and 5s-fe heads/blocks. You are asking for trouble there. You won't know what the compression ratio will be until after the motor is put together unless you get it all figured out at a machine shop. Use the complete 5s-fe long block with all the 3s-fe external parts.

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
say i were to do this swap. would i keep accessories like my 3s alternator and a/c compressor ?
Yes. You keep everything external to the motor (manifolds, accessories, wiring, injectors, etc.) from your 3s-fe.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2000 Camry Solara SE
274 Posts
I just recently did one of these swaps you must use the 3sfe oil pan to clear the cross members, witch also means removing the balance shaft if so equipped. i used the stock 3sfe manifolds and electronics and even though the car I'm sure would be faster with the 5sfe stuff it makes a big difference. the car i did was a 5spd and i could take out a 2nd gen integra no probem.

Reactions: Tom 2000

·
Registered
450 Posts
I just recently did one of these swaps you must use the 3sfe oil pan to clear the cross members, witch also means removing the balance shaft if so equipped. i used the stock 3sfe manifolds and electronics and even though the car I'm sure would be faster with the 5sfe stuff it makes a big difference. the car i did was a 5spd and i could take out a 2nd gen integra no probem.
that just sounds awesome... i've def been inspired by this conversion... ok, just clarifying a couple things... u said to use the 3s oil pan for clearance... i got that .. will a 3s-gte oil pan fit there for if & when i'd go forced induction...?

·
Registered
2000 Camry Solara SE
274 Posts
that just sounds awesome... i've def been inspired by this conversion... ok, just clarifying a couple things... u said to use the 3s oil pan for clearance... i got that .. will a 3s-gte oil pan fit there for if & when i'd go forced induction...?

yes the 3sgte pan fits with no modification.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
regarding the balance shafts... do all 5s engine blocks come with balance shafts...? & if it is equipped with.. would they have to be removed all together..?
You will only need to swap oil pans if the motor has balance shafts. If you are getting the motor from a Celica of that year, it won't have balance shafts... you are in luck.

It should all be clear when you get all the parts in front of you what will work and what won't.

-Charlie

·
Registered
91 CAMRY 91 INTEGRA
326 Posts
really now ahah i got a 2nd gen integra... wouldnt mind trying out a camry vs my da ahha... curious how close or fast ur camry would be =]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts