Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Camry wagon FWD 5 speed
5 Posts
Tagging onto this thread as I’m curious about something.
There is a consensus that the 5SFE is a good and simple swap for the gen 2 Camry.
I have been looking for a replacement engine and there are quite a bit of variances.

I currently have an ‘88 Camry wagon with a 3SFE that’s consuming over 2 quarts in about 500 miles. Easier to upgrade and move on. I already have an 8 bolt flywheel so I think I’ll be good for that one.

I read that there are dizzy engines and engines that are dizzy-less.

What donor year am I needing? And what donor model is easiest for this swap? Anything to note about mounting provisions?
Anything about a variance in distributors for 91 vs 93?

any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Administrator
14,390 Posts
So, you want to keep the ECU and engine wiring harness, and swap a 5S-FE into it?

In Camrys, ‘97-onward are distributorless. ‘96 has a disty, but it’s got crank & cam position sensors. ‘95 is that way for CA emissions versions. So a ‘92-‘94 5S-FE is the simplest swap.

There are probably other differences in the sensors. I see they take a Denso 234-1055 or 1053 O2 sensor, Vs the 3S’s 1051. So you’ll want to check and swap things like that.

·
Registered
1988 Camry wagon FWD 5 speed
5 Posts
So, you want to keep the ECU and engine wiring harness, and swap a 5S-FE into it?

In Camrys, ‘97-onward are distributorless. ‘96 has a disty, but it’s got crank & cam position sensors. ‘95 is that way for CA emissions versions. So a ‘92-‘94 5S-FE is the simplest swap.

There are probably other differences in the sensors. I see they take a Denso 234-1055 or 1053 O2 sensor, Vs the 3S’s 1051. So you’ll want to check and swap things like that.
For the year 92-94 is there a specific model? I see celica, MR2, and Camry tossed around. Also, do any of the 92-94 units come with the balance shaft? Or is this on a later year? My apologies for the “newb” questions. Toyota is new to me, so I’m trying my best to learn all this stuff.

To answer your question, I’ve read that I keep all the ancillaries from the 3SFE and swap them to the 5S (including harness, ecu, intake, exhaust, accessories)

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
Camry motors will have the balance shafts. MR2 and Celica will be without balance shafts. Any pre-OBD-II 5s-fe should work (I believe that is the changeover for distributor vs. distributorless).

You'll be using your 3s-fe distributor, so no worries about compatibilities there. Same with other things, sensors, etc. will all be from your current 3s-fe.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Once you have bought an engine for a swap is when you realise mechanics just talk. The electronics don't swap and that cam shaft sensor will bother you. Then they tell you to buy a 3sfe transmission because the 5s one doesn't properly link up with the electronics of 3s. You do that, then they tell u to buy new shafts and pockets because the splines have different numbers..oh then a clamp at the top and then more.

The hassle is crazy. And I fear modifications

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
9,090 Posts
The hassle is crazy. And I fear modifications
You use everything from the 3s-fe on the 5s-fe. Intake, exhaust manifolds, injectors, distributor, mounts, accessories, etc (you do have to use a distributor-based 5s-fe). Nothing to modify, you just swap everything over.

-Charlie

21 - 26 of 26 Posts