Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 corollas', one with a cracked head which is a 93' model with a 1.8, and one that is a 91'.. I have no clue what size the engine is, but it has to be either a 1.8 or a 1.6. The 91 is a manual and I was told that changing mine into a manual would be a lot more work than what the car is worth. I was also told that the engine wouldn't directly bolt onto the trans on my car being mine is a 93' and the one I want to swap engines with is a 91'. So, having said that.. I can only come to one other conclusion/question. Would the head of the 91' corolla fit on the engine of the 93'? And also, even if the 91' was a 1.6.. Would it still bolt to my 93'? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and I was wondering one more thing. If none of that would work, would anyone mind telling me what engines would bolt onto the transmission in my 93'? If you can/know, list all car models that the engines would fit into mine. Theres so many junk yards around here I could definitely come across an engine for cheap.. It's just knowing what will bolt on.. Anyway.. thanks in advance for any info on both sudjects.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
the heads are identical.... i think what it is was the earlier models you need to have the earlier model valve cover..... the later models used 4 bolts and earlier used 3..... the headbolts, however, i'm not 100% if they are the same

the trannys are also interchange-able..... you could even go as far as pulling the entire motor/trans from the 91 and putting it into the 93

but what's the fun? just get a 4age.... if you were to do the head properly for the swap, it'd cost you almost the same (including having the head milled, the gasket swapped, and the valves replaced) as the entire swap.... trust me, i did it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so all i would need to do in an alternative to swapping engines is just bolt the head of the 91 down onto the block of the 93 and use the 91 valve cover on the 93? i mean.. would i really have to mill the head and do a valve job on it? the engine in the 91 purrs like a fkin kitten.. If you have to do all that shit though. I'll just do the engine swap instead.. i just figured itd be easier to change heads.. but if the 93 is a 4 bolt connect.. how would the 3 bolt connect hold up on the block of the 93?

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
the 3 and 4 bolt issue is for valve covers only... only way you'll be able to tell is if you pull the heads off both and see how close they are......

to do it, though... you have to pull the cams to get to the headstuds... make sure you remember what goes to what head and which each part goes to

i say do the valves & have it machined only because, well, you're already making the effort of pulling it apart and putting it back together... might as well do it now before it happens later.... do it right the first time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.