Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No Tacomas in the bunch, but some nice shots of some deep snow wheelin, and getting yanked out of a snow bank.

I actually considered going on this run for a brief moment, but my truck ain't ready for this shit yet. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPRSNLmIfx4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Nice find! I had hoped to do something like than on a few of the roads around here that aren't plowed, but it hasn't snowed around here yet.... Not that I'm really complaining since I'd be paying more to heat the house, but I still was kind of hoping to have some fun in the snow. Oh well, maybe next year. :lol:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
OT: Now, I am a southern boy, but, I always heard that deep snow will help to insulate a house? I guess that is false?

Nice video, screeb. Stuff like that makes me miss snow a little bit. But, remembering digging the Honda out of a snow bank and almost having a heart attack cools my jets a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
BillBrasky said:
OT: Now, I am a southern boy, but, I always heard that deep snow will help to insulate a house? I guess that is false?

Nice video, screeb. Stuff like that makes me miss snow a little bit. But, remembering digging the Honda out of a snow bank and almost having a heart attack cools my jets a little.
Yes, it does insulate when it stays cold enough for snow. Pack it around the foundation, have some on the roof, etc. Since it's been fluctuating between 30F and 60F my furnace hasn't been running much. Average temperature has been around 40. If it had gotten down to freezing or lower then my furnace would be running full time and be using more oil. Would also be causing more cold drafts with the old doors and windows I need to replace. So in a way, it's kinda good that we've had an unusually warm winter. Easier on the wallet!! :thumbsup:



As for that Honda.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just remember to hook the tow line onto the frame somewhere, not the plastic bumper. :disappoin And they should have hooked onto the corner next to the snow bank. That would've pull it OUT instead of further INTO the snow like those geniuses did. :rolleyes:
 

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does act as an isulator, but it also cools the low level air more, so you get some goods and bads with the snow. We still have a 12" blanket here, which is keeping our highs in the 30's (and keeping my garage waaayyy too cold).

I was reading more about that snow run, and apparently there was a Jeep in the bunch that burned out its clutch in the deep stuff, and they used a 3 Toyota train (3 trucks strapped together, then strapped to the Jeep) to pull that sucker out. No pics or videos unfortunately....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,779 Posts
screeber said:
It does act as an isulator, but it also cools the low level air more, so you get some goods and bads with the snow. We still have a 12" blanket here, which is keeping our highs in the 30's (and keeping my garage waaayyy too cold).

I was reading more about that snow run, and apparently there was a Jeep in the bunch that burned out its clutch in the deep stuff, and they used a 3 Toyota train (3 trucks strapped together, then strapped to the Jeep) to pull that sucker out. No pics or videos unfortunately....
:eek:
 

·
Registered
06' Tacoma TRD Sport
Joined
·
71 Posts
Fun vid to watch, originally from Florida then moved to Wyoming. So I gave up Mud for Mud and Snow, both are fun, having both together is Awesome.
Snow really does insulate a house well, I know when we get around a foot of snow my heater works less than when we just get an inch or two and the wind blowing...:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
screeber said:
It does act as an isulator, but it also cools the low level air more, so you get some goods and bads with the snow. We still have a 12" blanket here, which is keeping our highs in the 30's (and keeping my garage waaayyy too cold).

I was reading more about that snow run, and apparently there was a Jeep in the bunch that burned out its clutch in the deep stuff, and they used a 3 Toyota train (3 trucks strapped together, then strapped to the Jeep) to pull that sucker out. No pics or videos unfortunately....

:lol: That sucks. I understand the train tho... Without the clutch that jeep was just dead weight. I wonder if AAA could make it there to tow it home! :lol:
 

·
Hobby or Mental Illness?
Joined
·
572 Posts
Nice vid. When the one guy is pulling the other by yanking him is that ok to do with our trucks? meaning is it bad on the frame or tranny?
 

·
Red Headed Slut
Joined
·
1,843 Posts
FRiZzZo said:
Nice vid. When the one guy is pulling the other by yanking him is that ok to do with our trucks? meaning is it bad on the frame or tranny?
It's not something you want to do all the time, but they can take it. The tow hooks/strap would fail first before you did any damage to the frame. And I believe someone said the tow hook on the front of our trucks would take something like 10,000lbs of force to fail. A lot of the force generated in that type of recovery is transmitted through the tow strap, as long as it's one that stretches.

And by the way, I believe that would be Molly, maybe Holly, from over at TTORA. She seems like a really cool chick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,355 Posts
Rodge said:
It's not something you want to do all the time, but they can take it. The tow hooks/strap would fail first before you did any damage to the frame. And I believe someone said the tow hook on the front of our trucks would take something like 10,000lbs of force to fail. A lot of the force generated in that type of recovery is transmitted through the tow strap, as long as it's one that stretches.

And by the way, I believe that would be Molly, maybe Holly, from over at TTORA. She seems like a really cool chick.

Yeah, I think the straps would fail first too. When I was stuck we broke a 20,000lb tow strap trying to get out. My jeep friend was pulling on my truck somewhat like in that video. Not as fast, and we were on dirt so his jeep didn't jerk around like that. Still, the strap broke and my tow hooks were fine.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top