Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I've heard a couple of times about "swiss-cheesing" your airbox. I explain:

It' a cheap-o mod, where you take a big drill and drill holes in the bottom part of your airbox (BELOW the filter).

I was wondering if anyone ever really did that, and if it worked..?

Do you get a good noise (does it sound like a cheap scooter?), is it lower in any way, louder??

Please answer, my stock-as-hell 62K 92 Camry is waiting to get its airbox swiss-cheesed to death, if that mod is safe.. :p

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
dad did it in the '85 Cressida.

no noticable or audible gains.

·
Car Breaker
689 Posts
I thought about it but decided it was stupid. I tore out the silencer and put in a K&N and made a cai with stock parts.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
defeats the purpose of the airbox and chambers. They are there to reduce undesired pulsing and clean up the flow.

immediate downside is you will begin to suck in air from the engine bay which is hot, you want the cold stuff.

You can try it but make your holes in such a size/position that you can plug them if you don't like the effect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So you just want to do it for the sound? Doesn't sound like a good reason at all to ruin a perfectly fine airbox. I don't see any plus to drilling it. Like amerikim already said, you'll start sucking in hot air from the engine bay, which is what the airbox was designed to keep out.

If it does change the sound, it'll likely make your car sound crappy. Not to disrespect but being it's a '92, it probably doesn't sound that great anyway, right? People around here cut off their resonators from their exhaust to give their car a "cool" exhaust sound. Makes their car sound like a POS with an exhaust leak.

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
i wouldnt cut anything... but what i did do is remove the intake resonator. search for some info and try doing that, let us know if there is a sound difference. i did it to my 3vz but my exhaust is too loud, it drowns out any intake sound.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
^ taking out the resonator is a good idea hardly notice anything but it's there. you have to remove the fender and unbolt it then put the fender back on. also if you want it sucking up hot air while you have the fender off take out the intake pipe as well so it can get all the hot air it wants, also you can take out the bolts that hold it down theres some more holes for air. also doing the last 2 if you dont like it you can always put it back, also if you fell really crazy take out the box and duct tape the filter to the top cheapest open air you can make :D

·
permanent hiatus
735 Posts
... :dunno:

you dont have to take out the fender... i got mine out through the wheel well, remove the splash guard, turn the wheels all the way to the right, and find the right angle to get the resonator out (after unbolting it).

·
TN's furry friend
1995 Toyota Camry LE
4,472 Posts
either way, leaving it alone, or taking out the intake pipe, your still pretty much sucking in hot air. so leaving alone or taking it out is the same effect but by taking it out you decrease the distance air has to travel to get to the box by a 1 ft and itll get noticably louder past 3000 rpm. your decision, i wouldnt make holes though...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts