Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this push button and what appears to be an indicator of some sort in my 07. Does anyone else have this or know what it does?

I did not see it in the manual anywhere. I do not have an alarm that I know about since the dealer did not give me any remotes and I've had no problems getting into or starting my car.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Thats for an aftermarket alarm it looks like(like a valet switch) Did you buy your car used?

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
You're right, this isn't stock. It looks like an LED on one end and a momentary push switch on the back side, and perhaps 4 wires, two of them appearing to be grounds? I presume the car was bought new, so what happens phen you push the button? I have no clue what this is, but try to trace the wires back to where they connect with something else and it might give you a clue.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Push it and run away really fast just incase its a James Bond Self Destruct button! :lol:

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The car was purchased new from a dealer and there is no alarm system that I am aware of that is installed on the vehicle.

I pressed the button a couple times and there was no reaction from the car.

There is one red wire, one black, and two brown ones. There is a flash shadow so it looks like there are two black wires in the last photo.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Hmmm, That is not stock, It must be a dealer installed option... Do you have remote starter?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Whatever it is, it is not installed very well. I'm not talking technical install, but cosmetic. A more concealed or built-in look would have been better. Just below the change tray, there is an rectangular insert that can be pushed out and used for whatever. I'm unsure what might go there, but in my LE I4 I installed aftermarket fog lights and put my switch there and it fit perfectly!

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JSM1284 said:
Hmmm, That is not stock, It must be a dealer installed option... Do you have remote starter?
No remote start. I have a standard transmission.

·
Maven
3,070 Posts
If you press the button, does the light come on momentarily or stay on?

Does having the key turned on make any difference?

Did you happen to call the dealer and ask?

Did you have fog lights added or heated seat added?

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm bringing the vehicle to the dealer in a week to install some equipment that was part of the agreement at the time of the sale. I'll ask them then.

·
Here and there...
Camry 07
5,838 Posts
BigWillie said:
Whatever it is, it is not installed very well. I'm not talking technical install, but cosmetic. A more concealed or built-in look would have been better. Just below the change tray, there is an rectangular insert that can be pushed out and used for whatever. I'm unsure what might go there, but in my LE I4 I installed aftermarket fog lights and put my switch there and it fit perfectly!
BigWillie, please share pictures of your aftermarket fog lights :whatwhat:

·
Registered
143 Posts
lammydi said:
BigWillie, please share pictures of your aftermarket fog lights :whatwhat:
Here is a link to my photo gallery on T/S. There is 2 pics of my lights, but I can take more and of the switch placement if you want. I will note that my fog lights arent recessed like the factory lights, i could have made a plate that allowed the lights to sit further back in the housing but I got lazy. They are very secure just screwed into that plastic insert. Although one of the lights is now cracked, a rock must have hit it. Its ok I want to get the factory look-a-like lights off of ebay to put in there.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/page/1/ppuser/47610

I miss my Tundra! Not that I don't like the Camry, but I regret making the change, but a growing family and rising gas prices forced me to make the decision.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is on the driver side under the dash and knee airbag above the pedals (as seen in 3rd photo)

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts
hmm, strange if it doesn't have an alarm. You sure it doesn't have an alarm? lock the car with the window open and manually unlock and open the door see if it horns or something. It can be dealer installed. My parent's car has an alarm with something like that down there too. And I've seen Honda and Toyota dealers using the same alarm 'cus of security stickers on the windows. Forgot what brand it is, the stickers removed after tinting it.

But from what it looks like, it's a valet button w/ alarm indicator light to tell if its armed. The button is usually used to disarm the alarm in case u don't have the remote, lost your keys or something. So u can use a spare key, insert key and put car to on position and press the button to disarm. Would be really odd if the dealer removed the alarm after they sold it.

·
'07 Camry SE V6 AT User
59 Posts
IIRC, that may be for what may be termed as an Aprolock System. My Wife's Honda Odyssey has something like that on hers, as it came from the dealer that way.

It may be part of the Alarm System that they try oh so hard to sell you in the F&I Department. It's an Alarm system that the dealers can enable or disable prior to the car leaving the lot once the car is sold.

That's my guess & I'm sticking to it...:whatwhat:

·
Camry Gen5er
2002 Camry LE I4
242 Posts
This is the thing that's in my parent's Honda Accord from the factory. But I know it works, cus i've used a spare key to turn off alarm with it. Pressing the button any other time does nothing. Looks pretty similar.

But yours might just be that IIRC thing used by the dealership i guess... weird, it's like u actually do have an alarm but it's deactivated.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts