Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Is it possible for me to switch my rear (and front) amber turn signal light bulbs to LEDs? Prefereably red ones for the rear? Does it need CANBUS? I’m heavily thinking of using XenonDepot bulbs. Thanks!

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,803 Posts
I don't know if your state laws would have an issue with changing turn signals from amber to red. Maybe they do and they don't enforce it?
If it matters to you, you should check with your local rules.

I think the color comes from the plastic reflector, and not the bulb.
I'm sure you can go to XD and order what you need. 7440 is the bulb type, and they will likely be available in White.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can have red bulbs for the turn signals in the rear only. The front turn signals must use white bulbs with an amber lens or amber bulbs with a clear lens (or amber bulbs with an amber lens would work too).

You can't have red, blue, or really any other color than amber for the front signals and parking/marker lights. You can have red in the rear since vehicles have come stock with red rear signals for decades.

The red bulbs with the amber lenses will give a different effect than a clear bulb with a red lens or red bulb with a clear lens, but with LEDs being so bright, it's likely it'll look fairly red even with the amber lens.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hello! Is it possible for me to switch my rear (and front) amber turn signal light bulbs to LEDs? Prefereably red ones for the rear? Does it need CANBUS? I’m heavily thinking of using XenonDepot bulbs. Thanks!
You'll need to get the canbus option which includes our XD11 resistors, this will prevent any hyper flash. As for the color, like other forum members mentioned you'll want to go with amber for the front and either red or amber for the rear. Keep in mind the color of the lens will affect the outcome too.

What year is your Highlander so I can get you the correct link to each option?

Danny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah I’d like to switch out the front signals with amber LEDs and the rear ones with red LEDs. I’m from Winnipeg, Canada and I am not quite familiar with the laws about turn signal colours here. BTW I have a 2017 Limited.

·
Registered
26 Posts
have fun messing with the resistors. with toyotas, each side is on the same circuit. so if you change the front bulb, you are changing the circuit's resistance level (including the rear bulb's). hence why you need the resistor. not sure if XD's design but most wire into the positive and ground wires. make for a clunky install and can reduce overall brightness.

the other issue is that if you do both front and rear, you will need resistors both front and rear but toyota's newer cars are very sensitive and can still have hyperflash because they are not seeing the exact resistance they would from a halogen bulb.

what makes it difficult is determining the resistance level needed. could be 3, 6, 8, etc. makes for a pita.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I switched my rear turns to red LED's. I have a US 2014 and I had hyper blinking after putting in the LED's so I added some resistors. Those suckers get hot after about 30 seconds. I wanted to replace the flasher, but could not get to it at the moment. Just find a good place to put the resistors. I stuffed mine in with the taillight for the time being. Looking to move them somewhere better once I get more time.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,100 Posts
I switched my rear turns to red LED's. I have a US 2014 and I had hyper blinking after putting in the LED's so I added some resistors. Those suckers get hot after about 30 seconds. I wanted to replace the flasher, but could not get to it at the moment. Just find a good place to put the resistors. I stuffed mine in with the taillight for the time being. Looking to move them somewhere better once I get more time.
Do you know where the flasher relay is? I've been searching and either I suck at searching or no one has confirmed if there is a swappable relay and where it is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not know where the flasher is located and I could not find it. I looked under the foot well but I could not see it. I thought I read something on here awhile ago that said it was pretty hard to get to on our generation. If anyone knows how to get to the flasher, please share as I would much rather go the flasher route than using resistors.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hmm... if that’s the case then I don’t think it’s worth the hassle eh?
You, sir, have more wisdom than many folks here, and on the Accord forum I frequent. Seems like electronic mods are the poison pill of many modders who spend much money/time/effort, and then when they get done they spend as much, if not more, of those on fixing the resulting problems.

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
595 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah I’d like to switch out the front signals with amber LEDs and the rear ones with red LEDs. I’m from Winnipeg, Canada and I am not quite familiar with the laws about turn signal colours here. BTW I have a 2017 Limited.
Yes, front being Amber colored while rear being Red are legal (as long as the front are Not in Red color).

As for convert them all to LEDs, I have done it with the following:
1. Changed the Rear turn signals to be Amber LEDs by Sugeryy 7440 bulb with load resistor built-in (URL below as FYI). If you are only to replace the rear turn signal bulbs with these specific LED bulbs then you are good to go without adding any external/additional resistor.
https://www.amazon.com/SUGERYY-Lumens-Extremely-Chipsets-Brightest/dp/B06W51X3X9/ref=sr_1_50_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1522109047&sr=1-50-spons&keywords=7440+led+bulbs&psc=1

2. Converted the Front turn signal bulbs to be Switch-back White/Amber LEDs 7444 bulbs by installed/bridged a standard 60-Ohm resistor to each front turn signal/Amber circuit only. The resistors although do get pretty warm after I ran each for about three (3) continuous minutes, they are warm to where I keep my fingers on them without issue (not hot to touch at all) which leads me to believe the type of LED bulb you use may be relevant to how hot the resistors get....

P.S. I converted basically all bulbs on/in my HL to LEDs except for the high-beam for DRL reason. Oh, I did not convert my license plate lights to LEDs either; no reason for the people behind me to see my plate number that well. :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you know where the flasher relay is? I've been searching and either I suck at searching or no one has confirmed if there is a swappable relay and where it is.
According to the information I have found, the flasher is located under the driver's side of the dash on top of the fuse box. You have to remove a few things to get to it. I am actually going to be replacing all my lights this weekend and will be replacing the flasher as well. I will try to get photos of how to get to it and such. Which, if I can get them, I will share here, but will also most likely make a post of its own.

Oh, and by the way on the color, in the US, under Federal DOT regulation for turn signals, this is what is allowed "a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle." The reason they say any color in between, is because different makers over the years made their own color versions and any thing that has been made that falls between those are still legal.

I converted basically all bulbs on/in my HL to LEDs except for the high-beam for DRL reason
I found a company that has a DRL+Highbeam setup that is LED. They have not tested it on a Highlander, but its made for Toyota Sienna and works correctly. I am working on getting my hands on it, but it does run about $160 for the entire kit.

·
Toyota Fanatic
1,100 Posts
According to the information I have found, the flasher is located under the driver's side of the dash on top of the fuse box. You have to remove a few things to get to it. I am actually going to be replacing all my lights this weekend and will be replacing the flasher as well. I will try to get photos of how to get to it and such. Which, if I can get them, I will share here, but will also most likely make a post of its own.

Thank you. Hope to hear back from you, will be checking this subforum periodically.

Oh, and by the way on the color, in the US, under Federal DOT regulation for turn signals, this is what is allowed "a red or amber light, or a color between red and amber, if the lamp is mounted on the rear of the vehicle." The reason they say any color in between, is because different makers over the years made their own color versions and any thing that has been made that falls between those are still legal.

I follow my states laws as I assume cops will follow those over federal which in IL, acceptable colors include amber and white for turn signals only.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually state law does not supersede federal law on this. If you look at my reference in the post, it was specific to the read lights. White and Amber and any color in between is legal up front and red and amber and anything in between is legal for the back. Here is the actual quote from IL (which again, these are the same as the federal standards)

"(625 ILCS 5/) Illinois Vehicle Code
(625 ILCS 5/12-208) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 12-208)
Sec. 12-208. Signal lamps and signal devices.
(b) ..................................

The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit a white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber. The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit a red or amber light"

What's funny is that one manufacture back in the 1940's if I remember right (i'm a former TX vehicle inspector), used a purplish/red color lens (for a stop light) and they still have to legally recognize it as a valid color.

Personally for me, I prefer amber upfront as its sometimes hard to see white with the newer DRL setups. I also prefer amber in back for the turn as it makes sure it stands out. But that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I found a company that has a DRL+Highbeam setup that is LED. They have not tested it on a Highlander, but its made for Toyota Sienna and works correctly. I am working on getting my hands on it, but it does run about $160 for the entire kit.
Is this for the HB/DRL that shares the same bulb?

I'll be interested too. Please keep us posted!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes it is supposed to be, here is the reply that I got from the company when I emailed them about it.

"9005 LED kit, it was originally designed based on a Toyota Sienna. So the kit works perfectly on the Sienna. However, we did hear from a customer saying that DRL and high beam has the same brightness (even in DRL mode, the light is in full brightness just like in the high beam mode) on his Subaru. It turns out that each car has different wattage setting on the DRL and high beam. When the kit was installed on a Subaru, its computer consumes more power than Sienna does for the DRL light, so it triggers the bulbs to full brightness (high beam mode). So when the customer is driving during the daytime, the DRL runs in full brightness."

That makes me think that since it is supposed to work correctly in the Toyota Sienna, it may work correctly in the HL. They told me if I was not happy with it, that I could return it no problem. So I will be looking to get it in the next few weeks I hope.

·
Registered
607 Posts
That makes me think that since it is supposed to work correctly in the Toyota Sienna, it may work correctly in the HL. They told me if I was not happy with it, that I could return it no problem. So I will be looking to get it in the next few weeks I hope.
Please see this thread also :
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/333-highlander-3rd-generation-2014/1374289-led-solution-highbeam-drl.html

I'm using the MTEC LED mentioned in the thread which has lower output in DRL mode but still quite bright.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I also prefer amber in back for the turn as it makes sure it stands out. But that is just my opinion.
It's not just your opinion. That amber rear turn signals reduce crash risk has been verified in studies performed in the U.S., Europe and Asia. The crash risk reduction isn't huge but it is statistically significant. Here is an IIHS article about it: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/sr/statusreport/article/44/8/3

1 - 20 of 42 Posts