Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Today I purchased the below light for my 2004 Corolla to replace a burnt out map light (near the sun roof controls). Does anyone have any tips for installing it? I have not been able to make it work no matter what angle I used. The bulbs look pretty different but is the right part number according to sylvania osram.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sylvania-168-led-bulb-168led.bp/10998201-P?vehicleIdFromReq=-1&isAllVehicle=true&vehicleIdSearch=-1&searchTerm=168led.bp&showTitle=

Thanks!

Alex

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,907 Posts
Did you try flipping the bulb? LED lights are polarized and only work one way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried it every single way until it was spun 360 degrees. It just doesn't seem like my casing will support this bulb at all. Has anyone had any success with this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Turns up it was the wrong bulb. Most sites don't show the bulb for corolla for the light on the sunroof panel.

I found the correct part number 90981-12014 but can't figure out the bulb number. Would something on this page work https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/ba9s-ba7s/filter/Cross_Reference_Number,0,21,198: ?

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,907 Posts

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
get a picture of the original bulb on here, I don't think they're the same for some reason.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
534 Posts
I learned the hard way that at least some Toyota's have power all the time to those dome lights. The switch is on the ground side of the circuit.

What that seems to mean is that you can be sitting in your car with the dome lights off and if you try and replace the bulb you still can easily short it to ground and blow the circuit fuse. (Yes, you are correct that is what I did :frown:) And, if the LED bulbs are like mine they are really not the correct size, no matter what the supplier says, so it can be hard to get them to fit into the socket. They are either too short or too long.

·
Registered
94 Camry,98 JettaTDI
42 Posts
I bought some bulbs off ebay a few months ago-can't remember #,but didn't work-I had taken bulb out of map light and tried to compare it to ones on shelf at stores-no LED's,just regular ones.I can't find the pc. of paper I wrote all the different bulbs w/ similar base style-round w/ 2 nubs om bottom.I couldn't find # imprinted on my bulb,but it said 14v,10 w.The closest bulb to that was a [URL=http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1893]#1893 -so[/URL] I ordered 4 LED ones off ebay-2 white and 2 blue. They showed up today,and am happy to report they all worked,I left the blue one in. I had already upgraded the dome and rear hatch light to led's a couple months ago(the cylinder shaped bulbs),when I found them on clearance at Home Depot. So if you have the round base w/ 2 nubs on bottom bulb,I'd try a #1893 bulb.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
14,907 Posts
I bought some bulbs off ebay a few months ago-can't remember #,but didn't work-I had taken bulb out of map light and tried to compare it to ones on shelf at stores-no LED's,just regular ones.I can't find the pc. of paper I wrote all the different bulbs w/ similar base style-round w/ 2 nubs om bottom.I couldn't find # imprinted on my bulb,but it said 14v,10 w.The closest bulb to that was a [URL=http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1893]#1893 -so[/URL] I ordered 4 LED ones off ebay-2 white and 2 blue. They showed up today,and am happy to report they all worked,I left the blue one in. I had already upgraded the dome and rear hatch light to led's a couple months ago(the cylinder shaped bulbs),when I found them on clearance at Home Depot. So if you have the round base w/ 2 nubs on bottom bulb,I'd try a #1893 bulb.
1893 is a BA9S.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts