Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On My 96 Ive got the gold symbols but the paint is wearing off on some of the symbols, both the gold and the gloss coating, I would like fix them up my self with out buying new symbols, anyone have any ideas regarding this?
:confused:

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The dealer has this the stuff that makes it look like gold. It's first red, then they give it an electrical charge and it turns gold. I would take them off yourself and sand them down to prep it for the dealer so it won't cost that much. Or you can always spray paint them.

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ack screw spray paint, I want them to be the actual colours they were originally. Whats the best way to take them off with out damaging body paint ?

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
I sprayed mine black to match my car and it looks great especially on the back were it's the black emblem on the black body color. But i would love some gold emblems if my car was white.

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Car is Green so the gold goes well with the tan leather interior.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
yeah gold matches green perfect too. Green is for the money and gold is for the honies. lol

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lmao :lol:

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
l33tGreenCamry said:
ack screw spray paint, I want them to be the actual colours they were originally. Whats the best way to take them off with out damaging body paint ?
Take dental floss and put it underneath the decal and start from one side to the other in a "sawing" motion. Careful thought because the center "Toyota" emblem is fixed with both glue and pins.

The middle Words "Camry" have pins as well.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
i used a razor blade to take of mines cuz the floss just kept on popping apart.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Then use Piano Wire.

Or Fishing line.

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what about an E string from a guitar. Thats the thinest string, very similar to piano wire. would that work as well?

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
l33tGreenCamry said:
what about an E string from a guitar. Thats the thinest string, very similar to piano wire. would that work as well?
as long as it's not your low e. :p:

I'd be careful with it though, even the high E may be a bit big.

Piano wires are very thin.

·
Zzzz
Camry
2,255 Posts
l33tGreenCamry said:
On My 96 Ive got the gold symbols but the paint is wearing off on some of the symbols, both the gold and the gloss coating, I would like fix them up my self with out buying new symbols, anyone have any ideas regarding this?
:confused:
take it to a local body shop and have them paint match it, then go to auto-zone and buy some touch-up paint with the same paint code. take your symbols off, sand 'em down, clean 'em up and paint 'em. you could clear-coat them as well, if you want.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Re: Re: Symbol Paint

CrawlingEye said:
take it to a local body shop and have them paint match it, then go to auto-zone and buy some touch-up paint with the same paint code. take your symbols off, sand 'em down, clean 'em up and paint 'em. you could clear-coat them as well, if you want.
Negative. That wont work. The original symbols aren't painted. They are dipped in some bronze looking thing and thats how the color comes onto it. Its impossible to paint it to look exactly like how they originally came. Believe me, I have tried :disappoin

I heard that you can take it to the dealer and they can do it for you with that special plating for about 10-20 dollars. But I dont know how true that is though.

·
l33tness is Uniquiness
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trdcamry2003 said:
The dealer has this the stuff that makes it look like gold. It's first red, then they give it an electrical charge and it turns gold. I would take them off yourself and sand them down to prep it for the dealer so it won't cost that much. Or you can always spray paint them.
He aparently is a Toyota sales person.

FYI - AutoZone does not exist in southern Ontario. More spesfically Toronto. As far as I know anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts