Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys

My first post on this forum.
I recently bought a '06 HL AWD V6, 113K km (70K miles), immaculate shape, fair price.
Also my first Toyota, I've owned Hondas and Nissans before.
I'm a DIY guy, I'v maintained my vehicles my self for many years.

I want to replace the ATF on my HL, and since the HL will be used to tow our camping trailer I'm looking at synthetic fluids. Here in Canada Petro-Canada sells a full synthetic ATF at a real good price that is supposedly compatible with Toyota's T, T-III, T-IV and WS fluids.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx

I'm also looking at Redline's D4 ATF, wich is also full synthetic and T-IV compatible:

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=30504

Royal Purple makes a T-IV compatible ful synthetic:

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html

What do you think? Good choice? Or stick with Toyota's non-synthetic stuff?
Looks like there aren't too many Toyota-compatible synthetic fluids around.
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF doesn't seem to be compatible with Toyota's T-IV fluid.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd call my local Toyota service manager and ask him if the full syn is OK to use.

In general I would recommend sticking with Toyota ATF unless I was assured the syn stuff was better.

If you don;t know what its maint history has been, you might want to get a full case of it and do 3 drain and fills a day or so apart - that will get the fluid back to relatively pristine condition.

·
Take off, eh!
1,430 Posts
Hi guys

I want to replace the ATF on my HL, and since the HL will be used to tow our camping trailer I'm looking at synthetic fluids. Here in Canada Petro-Canada sells a full synthetic ATF at a real good price that is supposedly compatible with Toyota's T, T-III, T-IV and WS fluids.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/612.aspx
Wow thanks - There is yet another alternative to Toyota WS fluid. The 2nd Gen Tacomas use that fluid.

G

·
AvConsult
3,552 Posts
I'd stick with a fluid that is "recommended" vs "suitable". There's quite a viscosity and friction index difference between Dexron III and Toy Type IV and Honda Z1. The only fluid that I've been using in my HL and previous Pilot is Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle, which is JASO-1A certified (Japanese standard).

The Castrol is virtual identical in viscosity and meets JASO friction properties. The benefit of the Castrol is lower viscosity at cold temps and a bit higher flash point.

There may be other synthetics or blends that are rated similarly, but I stopped looking after I found the Castrol.

As for your towing, instead of synthetic, consider spending your money on a tranny fluid cooler, if it doesn't already have one.

·
2004 I4 Highlander
163 Posts
Agreed, you want the friction properties of JASO-1A which the Castrol Import has, but I thought Mobil 1 or the Mobil universal had (haven't checked in awhile).

The T-IV is a pretty "normal" viscosity that probably any universal ATF can meet. The WS is a lot thinner, I'm not sure a universal is a good fit there.

I've been on M1 for about 40,000 miles, no real problems but performance similar to the OEM fluid. I have 8 quarts of Castrol I got from Advance with a internet deal and sale, I think I got them for 2 bucks a quart, still on the shelf.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Mobil 1 ATF, used it recently on my wife's 2005 Toyota Solara. Most of the good synthetic ATF's meet Toyota's specification.

It is perfectly acceptable to mix synthetic and non-synthetic and you don't have to pay out the butt for Toyota's ATF. Any fluids that are branded Toyota are just re-branded products made by someone else like Castrol or Mobil 1. Toyota is not in the business of making fluids, batteries, most parts, etc. They just get them built for them to their specs and re-brand them and mark up the prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
nitronate33
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing