Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
is it brand new? because you should use regular oil for the 1st oil change, then if you decide to use synthetic you can, just not for the 1st change.

And I dont see why you'd have to put synthetic in. who told you that?

Oh and what is bamboozeled?:lol:

·
nice guy
191 Posts
If your car has been driven alot, and has alot of miles on it. And during those high miles you were using regular, you shouldn't switch to synthetic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Foolish86 said:
If your car has been driven alot, and has alot of miles on it. And during those high miles you were using regular, you shouldn't switch to synthetic.
\
yeah but its a 2004 so mileage is low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can go back and forth with no problems. Its just thst some high mileage cars will start to leak synthetic thru worn seals due to its more slippery flow compared to mineral oil. Don't forget you can buy blended oil which is half of each type.

·
Shit Disturber
249 Posts
if you plan on using the car for the rest of its life, use the synthetic from new, if its a lease or you plan on selling it before it hits 250k use normal oil. Synthetic oils don't save old engines, they dont bring em back to life, what they do is prevent wear to a greater degree than mineral oils.... basically you know those old cars that have those engines that seem to never die? those were either really never driven or on a diet of synthetic only.

·
Registered
29 Posts
DanoT said:
You can go back and forth with no problems. Its just thst some high mileage cars will start to leak synthetic thru worn seals due to its more slippery flow compared to mineral oil. Don't forget you can buy blended oil which is half of each type.
your not supposed to change around.. the chemical mixes are different and they can cause wierd problems. its just when you first change rom regular to synthetic, the ratio of reg to synthetic is like 1:50, so it doesent cause problems, but when you got more regular than synbthetic, you get some chemical mix problems? im not sure if im right, i heard from someone...

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
your not supposed to change around.. the chemical mixes are different and they can cause wierd problems. its just when you first change rom regular to synthetic, the ratio of reg to synthetic is like 1:50, so it doesent cause problems, but when you got more regular than synbthetic, you get some chemical mix problems? im not sure if im right, i heard from someone...
NAah oil is oil, the leaking problems are usually just caused by the better detergents that are in synthetic oils, which cause the shit from the previous oils to liquify and get washed out of the leaky seals. This then results in the leaks, nothing too bad tho, just a good indicator where you need to replace seals. You can go directly to synthetic, or you can use semisynthetic in between, I went via semi synthetic, no leak problems what so ever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
www.bobistheoilguy.com

You will find out more information than you ever wanted and will become an oil fanatic if you start reading posts in this site.

Basicly; synthetic only if you care about your car; and only mobil 1 schaffers or redline. All other synthetics are posers.
syntec is the biggest poser of all/ not really synthetic.

·
\m/ ^_^ \m/
65 Posts
Once you use synthetic oil it's advisable to keep using it, and yes Mobil 1 is the best syn. You can change back but it MIGHT cause minor problems (nothing to worry about really) when you use a synthetic oil it coats your engine parts with a protective and when you switch back the break down of that layer may cause extra wear, but not enough to ruin anything. Also leaking may be related to using different weights of oil causing an increase or decrease in pressure and if you seals are about to go they will leak. Semi-syn. is kinda a jip cause you pay more but don't really get any of the benefits of the full syn. oil. I choose to use full syn. in my new car cause it WILL increase your engine life. As said above don't waste your money if you have high miles, syn. won't help you.

(I used to be a manager @ Valvoline)

·
The Regenerator
2018 Prius Two-Eco
599 Posts
Flashmn said:
NAah oil is oil, the leaking problems are usually just caused by the better detergents that are in synthetic oils, which cause the shit from the previous oils to liquify and get washed out of the leaky seals. This then results in the leaks, nothing too bad tho, just a good indicator where you need to replace seals. You can go directly to synthetic, or you can use semisynthetic in between, I went via semi synthetic, no leak problems what so ever.
Hold on now, isn't that a bit contradictory? You state that "oil is oil" but then acknowledge the superior cleaning ability of most synthetic oils.

There is great variation between motor oils, although in fairness, in most low stress applications, basic mineral products will do fine, if changed frequently. The oil industry divides motor oil bases into five groups.

Groups I and II are the mineral bases.

Group III is hydrocracked mineral oil that many refiners like to refer to as synthetic because of the heavy processing they receive. This issue is hotly debated by some. Castrol and its Syntec (except the German made version of Syntec 0w-30, which is a Group IV/V product) fall into this category. Most OTC "synthetics" also use this stuff now (QS, Valvoline, Supertech, etc)

Group IV is the Polyalphaolefin, or synthetic hydrocarbon, type syn. The chemists usually start with ethylene gas and use the molecules to make superior versions of the basic HC oil molecule. Mobil-1, most Amsoil products, and a few others use these oils as primary bases.

Group V oils might well be called the "exotics." The esters (diester and polyolester), alkalated napthalenes, etc. fall into this category. These are usually blended into the others to improve performance, but a few makers use G-V primarily (Neo would be an example).

Now maybe you can fairly say "oil is oil" from a practical use perspective, but not from a technical one. It is true that you can use mineral products for years and have fine results. IMO, the real benefit for street use of syns is as a form of "physical insurance." Most of the syns will not start to oxidize rapidly (burn) until they are almost 100 degrees hotter than the temp at which a mineral will start turning to goo. Thus, if you have one bad overheat incident, the syn may well save your engine (assuming it hasn't just melted...), whereas the mineral oil would have failed. If this happens just one time during the life of your car, all the syn you used before just paid for itself.

Finally, if you still need convicing, check out these two Honda valve covers for a mineral vs. syn comparison. Oil is oil? Respectfully, no. Check out these pictures.

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
You state that "oil is oil" but then acknowledge the superior cleaning ability of most synthetic oils.
Well.. they still do the same thing, lubricate the bearings, etc. Synthetic is just longer lasting, because the detergents and chemicals in it are longer lasting. But I dont have a problem switching to minerals even though I prefer synthetics.

So therefor, its not contradictory, the cleaning abilities just vary. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.