Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last car was a 99 Isuzu Trooper, which had 156,000 miles when I raded it in for my '07 Camry XLE. I used Mobil 1 on every oil change in my Trooper from the 1st change to the last. The engine was sweet to the day I left it on the Toyota dealers' lot.

Does anyone use Synthetic oil in the '07 Camry?

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is my understanding that Toyota uses a specific blend of oil designed for the break-in period. Beyond the first 3,000 - 5,000 miles feel free to use a synthetic 5W-20 (new Toyota recommended grade: TSB No. EG018-06) oil in your Camry. Some argue the additional protection offered by synthetic is unnescesary if proper maintaince habits are kept using standard mineral oil. There is merit to that arugment. However, for additional peace of mind the cost difference is worth it to some (including myself). I'm currently using RedLine 5W-20 (synthetic) without problem. Redline has a proven track record of making high quality oils, along with Mobil and AMSOIL. Be wary of processed mineral oils (Group I, II, III) being passed off as full synthetics. That's not to say those won't offer good protection, its only to say that you're not getting exactly what you paid for.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've used Mobil 1 since 1500 miles.
Always switched over at 1000-1500 on my vehicles.
Going to go with Amsoil in the Camry next change.
The V6 oil weight is 5w30.
I'm staying with that weight.

·
"Two Tacos"
232 Posts
Joe B said:
I've used Mobil 1 since 1500 miles.
Always switched over at 1000-1500 on my vehicles.
Going to go with Amsoil in the Camry next change.
Hey Joe,

What type of Amsoil are you using? XLF, ASL, or TSO?
I am using XLF until it's out of warranty, then I will extend the OCI, and use ASL.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
west467 said:
Hey Joe,

What type of Amsoil are you using? XLF, ASL, or TSO?
I am using XLF until it's out of warranty, then I will extend the OCI, and use ASL.
ASL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Joe B said:
The current recommend V6 oil weight is 5W-20, per the TSB number I posted above. That is not necessarily what your Camry shipped with, and probably not what is listed in the owner's manual. That is for all AZ and GR blocks produced since the '06 model year. If you don't believe me, feel free to consult the TSB. 5W-30 is obviously good enough to meet their old standards, but the current recommended weight is 5W-20 for V6 model Camrys.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Thrawn said:
The current recommend V6 oil weight is 5W-20, per the TSB number I posted above. That is not necessarily what your Camry shipped with, and probably not what is listed in the owner's manual. That is for all AZ and GR blocks produced since the '06 model year. If you don't believe me, feel free to consult the TSB. 5W-30 is obviously good enough to meet their old standards, but the current recommended weight is 5W-20 for V6 model Camrys.

That TSB is from 3/29/2006
My '07 was built in 06/06 and has a 5w30 printed on the oil cap.
I'll stay with 5w30.
5w20 just squeezes out a bit more MPG.

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
I don't have a gen 6 but usally it is recomended to not use synthetic during break in period. Why? because the regular oil allows the internals to fully break in. I have no back up as far as scientifically...so this is just word of mouth

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
BS.

The '07 I4's come with full synthetic 0w-20 from the factory.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
njerald said:
BS.

If true that blows a hole in the engine break in before synthetic oil use theory of many.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
Yes, there are lot of theories that are full of it. But this is Toyota.

A lot of the forum posts remind me of Comedy Central.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
njerald said:
Yes, there are lot of theories that are full of it. But this is Toyota.

A lot of the forum posts remind me of Comedy Central.

:lol:
I'm a no break in needed guy.:)

·
Registered
04 CAMRY LE
1,123 Posts
njerald said:
BS.

Well no where in my post did i say i knew anything about the gen6's. It is not my theory...as it is strictly from reading material. If you don't like it...then no need to take my opinion, which is basically everyone's post here... NOt only that...but 0wt is a very thin wt, so that might be a reason why they come in a full snythetic at that viscosity

·
Registered
Camry SE
167 Posts
I use 5w-20 Castrol Syntec Blend. I think Castrol is just as good as Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple(those are full synthetic compared to part syntec). Yes i know Castrol does have full syntec. But either 0w-20 or 5w-20 is good like Webb26 said just stay with what is recommended. pretty much your decision on either reg oil or synthetic either will work.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
greycam07 said:
I use 5w-20 Castrol Syntec Blend. I think Castrol is just as good as Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple(those are full synthetic compared to part syntec). Yes i know Castrol does have full syntec. But either 0w-20 or 5w-20 is good like Webb26 said just stay with what is recommended. pretty much your decision on either reg oil or synthetic either will work.
You do realize a blend is only 15%-20% synthetic.
Blend = ripoff.
You're better off blending your own.
Just use the same company and weight.
Go 50-50 for a real blend.

·
Registered
Camry SE
167 Posts
Joe B said:
You do realize a blend is only 15%-20% synthetic.
Blend = ripoff.
You're better off blending your own.
Just use the same company and weight.
Go 50-50 for a real blend.
would i just be better off just goin full synthetic than mixing oil?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
greycam07 said:
would i just be better off just goin full synthetic than mixing oil?
Couldn't hurt!;)
I go full synthetic.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts